What's new

Official 2014 Oscar Nominations Thread (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Just a reminder about the preferential voting system to award Best Picture.

http://www.goldderby.com/cms/view/209/

My gut tells me that American Hustle would win if 12 Years a Slave weren't in the mix. I think the import of the latter will ultimately make voters rank it higher than either American Hustle or Gravity, regardless of whether people are interested in repeat viewings.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Although I want Gravity to win, I won't be too upset if 12 years wins as that film is excellent. American Hustle on the other hand...I would be pissed.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I often wonder why repeated viewings of a movie should weigh in on its artistic merit. A "Best Picture," or an excellent picture, much like a great work of art, doesn't have to be viewed many times. Once is sometimes enough. Amour, winner of the Foreign Film BP is arguably a better work of art than Argo, although it didn't win BP, but it is a difficult film to watch. Argo is more exciting. Which one will endure?
Gravity is exciting. I personally prefer Cuaron's Children of Men. 12 Years a Slave is difficult to watch, but it is also rewarding. Ejiofor's subtle acting, much like the overlooked Redford's, is probably the best. Dern's is not far behind. But the Academy loves to reward showboating acting (see Pacino's Scent of a Woman and compare that to the original Vittorio Gassman's performance). So Matthew will probably win (and he's good in the part).
Back to my original point about art. I've often read a great book only once in my life: it's still a great book. I've seen a great painting or sculpture only once; it's still a great painting or sculpture. I've seen a live play with an unforgettable performance just once; the performance is still great in my mind. Repeated viewings of anything should not be THE determining factor, although it can enter into the equation.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
My favorite film of the year was The Wind Rises, which is up for Best Animated Feature, but I imagine that will go to Frozen (which is also really good). Out of the Best Picture nominees, I haven't seen Captain Phillips or Philomena yet, but of the others, I'd probably pick The Wolf of Wall Street as my favorite.

As for the rest, the only one I really didn't like was American Hustle. Whatever embarrassing photos Harvey Weinstein has been holding over Academy members' heads through the years, he must have finally given them to David O. Russell. What a middling, meandering mess.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
More big wins for both Gravity and 12 Years A Slave. The BAFTA Awards (British Oscars) were given out over the weekend and Gravity won six awards including Best British Film, Best Director, Best Visual Effects, Best Cinematography, Best Music and Best Sound. 12 Years A Slave won for Best Actor and the nights biggest prize, Best Film.

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
bujaki said:
I often wonder why repeated viewings of a movie should weigh in on its artistic merit. A "Best Picture," or an excellent picture, much like a great work of art, doesn't have to be viewed many times. Once is sometimes enough. Amour, winner of the Foreign Film BP is arguably a better work of art than Argo, although it didn't win BP, but it is a difficult film to watch. Argo is more exciting. Which one will endure?
Gravity is exciting. I personally prefer Cuaron's Children of Men. 12 Years a Slave is difficult to watch, but it is also rewarding. Ejiofor's subtle acting, much like the overlooked Redford's, is probably the best. Dern's is not far behind. But the Academy loves to reward showboating acting (see Pacino's Scent of a Woman and compare that to the original Vittorio Gassman's performance). So Matthew will probably win (and he's good in the part).
Back to my original point about art. I've often read a great book only once in my life: it's still a great book. I've seen a great painting or sculpture only once; it's still a great painting or sculpture. I've seen a live play with an unforgettable performance just once; the performance is still great in my mind. Repeated viewings of anything should not be THE determining factor, although it can enter into the equation.

The Academy Awards are so phony and the winners seldom reflect the best performances, films etc. It is a case of how much money is wasted on trying to win an award. I never watch them. I prefer the TONY AWARDS as they are more honest in that they only give an award to those who truly deserve to win, The Academy Awards are all about marketing. If John Wayne can win one for acting and PeterO'Toole cannot,then that sums up the all the Hollywood bulls***t that surrounds the AA.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
To be fair, the Oscars weren't the only awards show where John Wayne and his performance in TRUE GRIT beat O'Toole.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
bujaki said:
I find that I have to revisit books and films to see how they hold up. It's harder to do with books because there are so many unread ones to read for the first time and rereading a book takes way longer (for me at least) than re-watching a great movie. I made lists recently of films I'd seen six or more times, films I'd seen three-to-five times, and great films I'd seen only once. And I was alarmed at how many were on the latter list that I felt I should have seen enough times to put on the other lists. And then I made a list of highly regarded films that I still have yet to see. That's a longer list than I'd like to have.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Jeez, where's everyone with their Oscar predictions??Here are mine:Best Picture: 12 Years A Slave ( really, really, really hoping for a Gravity upset)Best Director: Alfonso CuaronBest Actor: Matthew McConaugheyBest Actress: Cate BlanchettBest Supporting Actor: Jared LetoBest Supporting Actress: Lupita NyongoBest Original Screenplay: HerBest Adapted Screenplay: 12 Years A SlaveBest Cinematography: GravityBest Original Score: GravityBest Sound: GravityBest Sound Editing: GravityBest Film Editing: GravityBest Visual Effects: GravityBest Production Design: The Great GatsbyBest Makeup: Dallas Buyers ClubBest Foreign Language Film: Italy..The Great BeautyBest Animated Film: FrozenBest Song: Frozen...Let It GoBest Costume Design: American HustleBest Animated Short: Get A HorseBest Documentary Feature: The Act Of KillingBest Documentary Short: The Lady In Number. 6 Best Live Action Short: That Wasn't MeNo matter what, Gravity will walk away with the most Oscars tonight. :)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Tino said:
Jeez, where's everyone with their Oscar predictions??
It may look like I copy and pasted your picks but I didn't. :) Anyway, here's my list for what I think will win.

Best Picture: 12 Years A Slave
Best Actor: Matthew McConaughey
Best Actress: Cate Blanchett
Best Supporting Actor: Jared Leto
Best Supporting Actress: Lupita Nyong'o
Best Director: Alfonso Cuaron
Best Cinematography: Emmanuel Lubezki (Gravity)
Best Animated Picture: Frozen
Best Original Screenplay: Her
Best Adapted Screenplay: 12 Years A Slave

From that list, I would vote for maybe half of them.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Here is what i think will win.

Best Picture: American Hustle
Best Actor: Matthew McConaughey
Best Actress: Sandra Bullock
Best Supporting Actor: Jonah Hill
Best Supporting Actress: Jennifer Lawrence
Best Director: Steve McQueen
Best Cinematography: Emmanuel Lubezki
Best Original Screenplay: American Hustle
Best Adapted Screenplay: The Wolf Of Wall Street
Best Sound Mixing: Gravity
Best Visual Effects: Gravity
Best Makeup: The Lone Ranger
Best Original Score: Saving Mr Banks
Best Foreign Language Film: The Great Beauty
Best Film Editing: Gravity
Best Costume Design: The Great Gatsby

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
If Nebraska doesn't win best picture, or Bruce Dern doesn't win best actor I am going to skip dramatic movies for the remainder of 2014. That is how strongly I feel about Nebraska. Doesn't have to win both categories(one or the other) but it has get an award. A perfect movie.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
If 12 YEARS A SLAVE wins I will be so happy when a few years from now it starts to get some of the hate it deserves for beating out much better movies not because of quality but because of the subject.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Michael Elliott said:
If 12 YEARS A SLAVE wins I will be so happy when a few years from now it starts to get some of the hate it deserves for beating out much better movies not because of quality but because of the subject.
Ahhhhhh. A fine Oscar tradition. :biggrin:

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Michael Elliott said:
I still don't understand how Michael Fassbender got nominated for his cliche ridden performance in a poorly written role.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Nebraska will probably win nothing, although I also think it is a perfect movie. At least it received a few nominations, so it wasn't lost in the popularity/publicity shuffle. Some people must have realized its quality.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I rated the movie a *** when I watched it but the more I thought about it the more it really pissed me off. I thought his performance was incredibly overrated and I thought the entire screenplay was fairly laughable. I thought the storytelling was very questionable. It just seems like some people think we needed this movie to show slavery was wrong. Umm...I knew that a long time ago and I didn't need a melodramatic movie with an overbearing score to teach me that.

Somewhat different but I love Sean Penn but I still think he won the Oscar for MILK because of the subject and not really the performance. The performance was certainly great but I still feel Mickey Rourke was much better in THE WRESTLER. Two great performances but Hollywood had a message with one film that pushed it over the finish line.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
There's at least 5 nominees that I liked more but I still thought 12 Years A Slave was very good (especially the performances) but when it wins, I think it'll be more of a movie that people forget even won Best Picture in a few years like The Artist or The King's Speech rather than being a controversial/hated winner like Crash or Shakespeare In Love.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Best Picture: 12 YAS
Best Actor: Chiwetel Ejiofor
Best Actress: Cate Blanchett
Best Supporting Actor: Jared Leto
Best Supporting Actress: Lupita Nyong'o
Best Director: Alfonso Cuaron
Best Cinematography: Gravity
Best Original Screenplay: American Hustle
Best Adapted Screenplay: 12 YAS
Best Sound Mixing: Gravity
Best Visual Effects: Gravity
Best Makeup: Dallas Buyers Club
Best Original Score: Gravity
Best Foreign Language Film: The Great Beauty
Best Film Editing: Gravity
Best Costume Design: 12 YAS
Best Song: Let It Go

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks