What's new

Official 2013 Oscar Nominations Thread (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by schan1269
I just watched the Jan 31st 2012 Letterman(where she is promoting Coriolanus) and it wasn't that one (she did say..."I like the smarty-pants roles").
She is rumored to be(although no confirmations to be found anywhere) Ron Howard's "other" daughter...
I found part of an older interview as well, and it had none of what was described. Not saying 100% it never happened - or at least didn't happen in the arrogant way described - but still would need to see it to believe it...

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
With my "luck" it will probably end up being an interview with like Chelsea Handler... Wouldn't be surprised if the interview in question is from late 2011...right after Jolene came out(Jolene "came out" more than once...and when Coriolanus finally showed up and people knew of the scene in Pacino's Salome) and the "only thing" anybody could talk about was the scene that mimics the same thing involving Jessica Biel in Powder Blue. So maybe it is a combination of remembering bits of interviews...mashed together.

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
I saw Amour on Saturday - very good film but I'm still not sure if I care too much for the final act. But the acting is very strong and there are many brutally honest moments. Now having seen all nine pictures my order of preference would be as follows, although Argo and Lincoln are so close in quality that if either film wins I'd say the Academy had done right.

Argo Lincoln Silver Linings Playbook Zero Dark Thirty Life of Pi Django Unchained Les Miserables Amour Beasts of the Southern Wild
[/list]

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Patrick Sun
Should Chastain be nervous with Lawrence picking up the SAG Best Actress award this weekend?
I say so as it's between those two actresses.

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
Originally Posted by Patrick Sun
Should Chastain be nervous with Lawrence picking up the SAG Best Actress award this weekend?
I'd say yes. Given how all of the award predictions are playing out, the only real hope of Silver Linings Playbook reaping an Oscar is with Lawrence's performance. Given SLB was nominated in all four acting categories I'd think the Academy would want to honor SLB for something. I'd be puttin' money (if I were that type) on Lawrence, not Chastain.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Argo has to be the real front runner now, this makes 3 awards in a row it's one if it wins the PGA, then it's the predominant favorite.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Patrick Sun said:
I haven't seen who is and isn't favored but I would have guessed that Jennifer Lawrence was the favorite. Getting to play a 'crazy' person like Lawrence did seems to be alot more award worthy in the eyes of the Academy than playing someone that is reserved and stoic like Chastain did. If I was a voter, I'd probably flip a coin because I think both of did some really good work.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
It'd be funny if Affleck could get to say "Argo F Yourself" in the acceptance speech if it won Best Picture (in light of his snub in the Director category). :D

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
This is (award year) 1995 all over again. That year Apollo 13 won the PGA, DGA, and Screen Actors' Guild Best Ensemble. The odds makers favored it to win the BP Oscar. But Ron Howard wasn't even nominated for Best Director, and the Academy ultimately went for Mel Gibson for Best Director and his Braveheart for BP. It will be curious to see what the DGA does on Saturday, because even if Ben Affleck wins, there is still a chance he and Argo will meet the fate of Ron Howard and Apollo 13. Regardless, we have some real suspense this year. And as the two front runners are great movies, both are worthy of the Oscar.

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
Lincoln (most nominations with 12). Over at Goldderby.com (http://www.goldderby.com) the experts are picking Steven Spielberg to win Best Director by a wide margin. And since the director and picture usually - although certainly not always - match up, Lincoln would have to be considered a front runner.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I didn't really much love any of the nominees this year. Lincoln just didn't quite hit the spot for me. But I did like "Life of Pi", "Silver Linings Playbook" and "Argo" enough to recommend them to most people, with reservations for most of the other films on the list.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Given how infrequently a movie wins BP when the director fails to get a BD nod, I think it's unlikely "Argo" will win. It's been 23 years since the last time a movie overcome those odds!

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
It seems ARGO is winning every award so it's strange to see that it's not a favorite to win BP (and we don't have to go through the director thing again). AMOUR opens here on Friday so that will be the last major thing I have to see. Right now I'd say SEARCHING FOR SUGAR MAN is going to get my #1 spot for the best film of the year. I caught up with it last night and my girlfriend who hates documentaries was glued to the screen from start to finish, which is saying a lot considering she usually goes to bed when I put on anything like this.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Michael Elliott said:
AMOUR opens here on Friday so that will be the last major thing I have to see.
I think Amour has been playing in Philadelphia (the city closest to me) for a week or two now but I'm lazy and don't feel like taking a train ride to see it. Fortunately, an art theater that's near me has it listed as coming soon so I should still get to see it before the awards are given out. Also, I still hold out hope that a chain theater right by me will get it as well.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I was at an AMC theater yesterday watching MOVIE 43 and they had a post out where they're showing all the Best Picture noms over a couple weekends. I asked the person at guests services if they were going to book AMOUR more than just that one showing and she said "probably not unless other films between now and then bomb in ticket sales." I'm guessing this will probably get around 500 or so theaters.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I didn't find anything I wanted to see this past weekend, and especially not Movie 43. :) And I'm pretty easy when it comes to seeing movies. Plus, I try to actively avoid J-Lo films nowadays, so Parker got crossed off the list. Okay, back to the Oscars, is there any way DD-L is not winning for Best Actor? Can Bradley Cooper score an upset?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks