Official 2013 Oscar Nominations Thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Ronald Epstein, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    Of the ones I've seen (Argo, Life of Pi, Lincoln, Les Miserables) I'd probably vote for Lincoln, but Life of Pi would be a VERY close second.

2. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

My point was that you thought the voters might not've nominated Gere because he's handsome, even though all five actual nominees are also handsome. Daniel Day-Lewis is probably the UGLIEST of the five 2012 Best Actor noms, and he's a good-looking guy, so I don't think you can say Gere was left out because he's handsome!

3. Guest

I like Dark Knight Rises better than Dark Knight and I think it is the best comic book film ever, way better than the Avengers which I also loved. The AFI awards this year had 8 out of the 9 Best Picture nominees on their list with Moonrise Kingdom instead of Amour, and in additio. TDKR was included. I loved all three Christopher Nolan Batman movies, but just think TDKR was the best.

4. Number 6

Number 6 Agent

Steve Hahn
    This. :)

5. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Finally caught Beasts of the Southern Wild tonight. What a beautiful film. Of the Best Picture nominees I've seen, it's a close third behind Lincoln and Silver Linings Playbook. So far, I've seen five of the nine nominees and loved four of the five. Looking back, 2012 was a pretty great year at the movies.

6. benbess

benbess Cinematographer

Ben Hufbauer
    My picks right now: Best Picture Lincoln Best Actor Daniel Day-Lewis (Lincoln) Best Actress Jessica Chastain (Zero Dark Thirty) Best Supporting Actor Tommy Lee Jones (Lincoln) Best Supporting Actress Anne Hathaway (Les Miserables) Best Animated Feature Film Brave Best Director David O. Russell (Silver Linings Playbook) Best Foreign-Language Film A Royal Affair (Denmark) Best Adapted Screenplay David O. Russell (Silver Linings Playbook) Best Original Screenplay Wes Anderson and Roman Coppola (Moonrise Kingdom) Production Design Anna Karenina Cinematography Life of Pi Sound Mixing Les Miserables Sound Editing Les Miserables Original Score Life of Pi (Mychael Danna) Original Song "Skyfall" from Skyfall (Adele Adkins and Paul Epworth) Costume Anna Karenina Film Editing Argo Makeup and Hairstyling Les Miserables Visual Effects The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

7. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

My picks (who I'd like to see win, not who I think will win): [​IMG]

8. benbess

benbess Cinematographer

Ben Hufbauer
    Adam Lenhard: Nice choices! We have quite a bit of overlap. And you convinced me to change one of my choices. I somehow forgot how remarkable that the sound people—Andy Nelson, Mark Paterson, and Simon Hayes—truly did an impressive job mixing Les Miserables. I loved Argo too, and wish I could recall the sound on it better. And here's a question that reveals my lack of knowledge: What's the difference between editing and mixing?

9. Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck Screenwriter

Bryan Tuck
    Sound editing is assembling all the sounds for the film, putting them together, and in some cases, creating new sounds by combining existing ones. The category used to be Sound Effects Editing, but I guess now they're including the dialogue editing, too. Sound mixing is the balancing of levels for dialogue, effects, and music in the final soundtrack for the movie. Actually, I think there should be a Special Achievement Oscar given this year to the production sound team on Les Miserables for capturing all of that singing live on set. That had to have been a challenge (not to mention one for the studio orchestra later on).

10. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

After some catching up this weekend, I seen them all except Beasts Of The Southern Wild and Amour (I hadn't even heard of Amour until the nominations but I assume it'll hit a theater near me in a week or two). As of now, I think Lincoln will win and I'd probably vote for Lincoln, Django Unchained or maybe even Argo. There's no slam dunk choice this year for me so I'm good with most of them winning.

11. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    All I know for sure is that I have never seen a "LOCK" on an award like Adele has on Best Song for "Skyfall". It would be a shock of unbelievable proportions if it didn't win, hell people would question whether or not web voting was screwed up if it happened. I've seen them all now, and I admit I would put several films that didn't even get nominated above some of those that did. But here are my picks: Best Picture: My Pick: Django Unchained Will Win: Life of Pi. (The divided race screws up Argo and Zero Dark Thirty) Best Actor: Daniel Day Lewis (will win/should win) Best Actress: My Pick: Jennifer Lawrence Will Win: Jessica Chastain Best Supporting Actor: Christoph Walz (my Pick) Will Win: Tommy Lee Jones (I'm OK with this) Best Supporting Actress: My Pick: Helen Hunt Will Win: Anne Hathaway Best Director: (really, I think the best two directors aren't even included, but what do I know). So, Ang Lee, Life of Pi Best Cinematography: Life of Pi (will/should win) Animated Film: Brave Best Song: "Skyfall" Will Win/Should Win/there is no real competition in this category Costumes: Les Mis (I will crack that it's a brutal happening that 'Hunger Games' did not get a nomination here as it's costume and makeup work was amongst the most original of the year) Best Short Animated: Paperman

12. Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott Lead Actor

Michael Elliott
    Well, we'd be hard pressed to find any non-attractive people who got nominations or won so I'll stick by my original comments. I think some just feel Gere has had it too easy in life so they're not about to reward him. I'm not saying this guy is Brando and one could argue that his performance wasn't one of the five best of the year but every year or two people are awarded for their lifetime work. I think Gere has done a pretty remarkable job over his career and this film was to be his shot at some love. I finally caught up with all the noms except AMOUR as well as some others that were supposed to have gotten more attention. I watched HYDE PARK ON HUDSON yesterday and I'm a little surprised Murray didn't get more attention but I'm guessing the mixed reviews to the movie hurt. THE IMPOSSIBLE was good and the performances were very good but I think Watts could have been replaced on the list. ZERO DARK THIRTY was great and it's funny to see its chances at a win have gotten luke-warm since the controversy started. It's a real shame that Bigelow wasn't nominated and for her and Affleck to be left out with these "proud America" films is just shocking. COMPLIANCE seemed to be getting some thought for a Supporting Actress shot but I agree that Dowd just missed the cut. Rough film but worth sitting through.

13. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    The problem with nominating twice as many films for Best Picture than Director is that somebody deserving of the latter nomination is going to get screwed especially if said nominations happen during a really good film year like 2012 was. No conspiracy theory for me, but just a flaw in the nomination process as most directors of films earning Best Picture Nominations deserve to be nominated for Best Director too. There will be such snubs more often than not due to that nomination process. Crawdaddy

14. John Stell

John Stell Supporting Actor

John Stell
    Amour opens up here in Baltimore, MD on Friday the 25th. Here's a link that should tell people who are interested when the film is opening near them.
    http://jabcatmovies.com/2012/12/amour-release-date-and-us-theaters/

15. Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott Lead Actor

Michael Elliott
    RUST AND BONE finally opened around here and I must add Cotillard was really robbed. I'd certainly put her higher than Watts and Wallis and she's head-to-head with the other two.

16. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    For some reason I'm not on the "Chastain love train". She did an interview on Letterman(pretty sure it was Letterman) and basically pronounced... "I'm the best actress." She said it in the tone that she's the best EVER. Like she has a vendetta over the fact it "took so long" to finally get a movie. This interview was right after Jolene and right before(whichever one it was) her next came out. Letterman asked how she landed so many good roles in "upcoming movies"... "Because they want the movies to be good." I do remember them talking about Tree of Life(which might have been the "next movie"). She said "I carried it." Praising yourself for carrying a pretentious movie... (Yes I've sat through Tree of Life) Now, I'm all for self-confidence, but come on. It seems to me that she has become the female incarnate of Shia Lebouf. (If you recall a while back, several movie reviewers quipped..."They must have passed a new law in Hollywood where Shia has to be in every movie.")

17. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Shia was just the next version of Jude Law in the over-exposed movie actor category. :)

18. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Maybe if she starts swinging some clout the indie direction(Sarah Polley/Maggie/Paz[both]/Charlize/elizabeth Olsen etc)... She might, to me, come off the "higher than thou art" pedistal.

19. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

Yeah, I really think I'd need to see this alleged interview before I'd accept that she was so arrogant and full of herself...

20. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    I just watched the Jan 31st 2012 Letterman(where she is promoting Coriolanus) and it wasn't that one (she did say..."I like the smarty-pants roles"). She is rumored to be(although no confirmations to be found anywhere) Ron Howard's "other" daughter...