What's new

*** Official 2002 Academy Awards Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
OK, Bitching Time! ;)

I would hate if Chicago took best picture. The Hours was infinitly more involving. Chicago was a tour de force of direction though, which makes Moulin Rouge snub in this dept last year all the more strange.

Queen Latifah? WTF?! I like her, but anyone could have played that role.

BIG BIG BIG :tu for Eminem and 8 Mile. No, I haven't watched but that song is a riot! ;)

--
Holadem

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
As I'm scoring my picks I did pretty well on the majors, but I'm bummed that I talked my way into a upset guess for Marshall (which instead became PJ). And here I'd been saying that I thought Marshall could even upset Scorsese for director. I'm not asking out of my bad guess, I'll own up to it. But I had even forgot I'd done it till I went to check my picks.

Perdition was the best represented "early" film I believe. So it kind of made its push back in.

I haven't done my chart scoring yet, but just knowing that Chicago has so many of these noms I can safely say that it's lead in my formula is pretty solid and is now "officially" the winner of Best Pix. ;)

Seriously, I agree with my formula, its no longer even close between Hours and Chicago.

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
I don't understand how Peter Jackson didn't get nominated for another segment of ONE film!!!!!

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
This year's nominations makes it MUCH more likely that The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King--if it is a good movie--will win several of the important Oscars next as a cumulative award for Peter Jackson's landmark work.
True, Ray. And you know what else? As upset as I am by Jackson's lack of an nomination (and I am upset), I have to admit, realistically, it increases his chances of a nom/win for Best Director next year.

And as Seth has pointed out, so many people said, "Oh, TTT can't be nominated because FOTR didn't win BP." THEORY DISPROVED!

So we've got only the fourth sequel in history to be nominated for Best Picture -- and it did it not only without a win for the first film, it did it WITHOUT A DIRECTOR OR WRITING NOMINATION! Amazing.

And now I've got a lot less work to do because this is the first year I've seen all the BP nominees before the noms were announced. :)

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Writing, Original Screenplay nom for Y Tu Mama Tambien...

But shut out of Best Foreign Language Film?

Animated Feature Film should be interesting - the weight of Spirited Away vs. the popularity and CG of Ice Age.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Brian,
I would have bet the house that TTT would get in before PJ. But no need to show my logic...let's just say a top ten $ film has been a nominee for a decade running. I can't prove that is why TTT was a sure thing, but it was :D

Of the 6 noms, the only lock for TTT is VFX. Chicago might win Sound, and Minority Report WILL win the only nomination it got.

I'll make my first hour predictions very soon. It ebbs and flows, but usually comes back to the initial thought process. The gut instinct is usually right :)

Take care,
Chuck

Arman

Screenwriter
Oh yeah, BTW, so disappointed with Peter Jackson's non-nomination so there's no way LOTR:TTT will win.

So, the Academy can go all the way for Chicago (they should all apply to be Tony Awards membership :)) but I hope they will watch & see the light that The Pianist is the Best Film of 2002. BTW, I love Chicago, I just don't understand this madness for this film (it's beginning to be "Titanic-like").

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
WHOOOOOWHOOOOOO!!!! I'm doing handsprings here. For the first time, I've seen EVERY SINGLE MAJOR FILM nominated in the "Big 8!" (Pic, Dir, Actresses, Actors & Writing). I just saw The Quiet American the other night, and rented About A Boy last week. Whew! Just in time.

I'm happy for everyone, but these especially make me giddy:

Brody, Cage, Caine - They were dark horses. YAY!

Cooper, Harris, Reilly - YAY! Especially Reilly!

Hayek, Lane - YAY!

Queen Latifah - YES! I thought she was wonderful, and she really digs this whole thing. She just about went through the roof at the Globe nom. I can't WAIT to see interviews with her this morning.

Frida Frida Frida - I'm so happy for Salma Hayek I could cry. YAY!

The Pianist - it got what it deserved. All is right with the Academy. YAY! YAY!

Talk to Her and Almodovar - What a surprise! YAY!

Bowling For Columbine - will wonders never cease, they actually nominated a critically acclaimed film! YAY!

Too bad about Peter, but I'll bet he sighed in relief.

I'm very excited, and the slight disappointments aren't hurting at all.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Also, the DGA noms retain their title as Best Predictor of the Best Picture Nominations -- 5/5 this year.

They're rarely a 5/5 match with Oscar Director. There's almost always one DGA nominee that doesn't get an Oscar nomination... But who would have dreamed it would be Peter?! Bah hah hah (and genernal blubbering).

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
So 6 nominations for TTT. Okay. Better than none. I'm pleased with the BP nom
No, it did not get a Best Pix nom. SEQUELS OF FILMS THAT LOSE DO NOT GET BEST PIX NOMS

Sheesh, that stupid "theory" is now dead.

How about this new one "Sequels that aren't good don't get Best Pix noms, and neither do Star Wars sequels". Foolproof. ;)

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Writing, Original Screenplay nom for Y Tu Mama Tambien...

But shut out of Best Foreign Language Film?
The Best Foreign Film is a weird category. Was City of God selected by the relevant film 'authority' in Brazil for nomination? I know Y Tu Mama wasn't picked by the relevant Mexican panel.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I would say that the 3 films that came out on the short end (based on what was realistically expected) are Adaptation (still did decent), About Schmidt (same), and Minority Report.

Adaptation and AS could have gone even stronger (such as Best Pix) but fell short. And Minority Report only got the sound editing nom.

Besides the 2 foreign films getting some respect, the biggest surprise to me is how strong Road to Perdition did. I have it with 6 nominations which is pretty darn good.

Arman

Screenwriter
Pedro Almodovar's nomination is not a surprise (:)), a lot of us have predicted that. I made a last minute switch with my predictions after watching Talk To Her. The biggest non-surprise is for the Academy not being brave & bold in including Talk To Her in The Best Picture nominations, they cannot simply get the courage of taking Gangs of New York out there (but hey, they are also shameless in snubbing Peter Jackson!:)).

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Writing, Original Screenplay nom for Y Tu Mama Tambien... But shut out of Best Foreign Language Film?
It wasn't shut out. Its home country didn't submit it. Each country can only submit one film, and they (Mexico?) chose something else.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Thanks, Brian...now I understand. Nevertheless, it was a pleasant surprise to see Y Tu Mama Tambien pop up as a nominee for Best Original Screenplay.

Chuck L

Screenwriter
I don't understand why only two films are in the makeup running. Why not a standard five like every other group?

Also...I know that I might be the only one here...BUT...LILO AND STITCH....ALOHA!!!!!!!!!!

Arman

Screenwriter
History & tradition are in the side of Chicago ... Academy's obsession with very good musical films like Oliver! & My Fair Lady and it's unbeatable Titanic-like 13 nominations that they usually give to their award-winning epic films.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks