What's new

***Official 1st Annual HTF January Winter Crime Challenge*** (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
If this a quarterly thing, maybe Sci-Fi Challenge would good be for April and then Comedy And Musical Challenge for July. Not that musicals automatically fit in with comedies but I think a fair number have comedic elements.

I'd like a Blaxploitation challange but I doubt that there would be too many people interested in it. :)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I was interested in possibly doing something a little less ordinary. Those are just genres I expect people are watching anyway. Of course, someone else can run a challenge on whatever genre they want.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

I think thats it Travis. Horror and Sci fi tend to have a bit more obsevive fans who collect a bunch of movies, so they are more accesable. I'd participate in the historical epics and musicals, I just flat have access to near as many titles. If you did a musicals challenge the month after that next Warners box set came out, I'd join in, I just happen to have way more non-musical titles sitting on my "to Watch" shelf that I wat to go through rather then re-watch a bunch of my collection.

Blaxploitation would be fun as well, I again suffer from not having that many titels, not as many as I would llike anyways. Frankly, I'm enough of a nerd that I keep track of what I watch anyways, so I'd do my best to join in to any challenge. :D

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That's basically it Russell. I don't see the point in running only challenges in genres people are watching all the time anyway.

PatW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Patricia

I guess I'd like to see Sci-fi because that's my favourite genre and I have the most titles in that category. I see your point though. My least represented genre in my collection are Westerns and War films. I'm trying to watch more films in either category so for me, they would be good choices. Epics or historical dramas were mentioned. I would be interested in that as well. Maybe we could combine Epics and historical dramas together. Either way, as long as it's not horror, I'm in.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well, I would definitely like to run one on Historical Drama/Epics. So, my plan would be to do that in March. Maybe someone else would like to run a Sci-Fi challenge in May. My feeling is it's best to skip a month in between each one.

Maybe Russell would like to run a Grindhouse challenge sometime.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I'm up for Sci-fi and Historical/Epic challenges. Pass on the musicals. :)

PatW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Patricia
I'll pass on the musicals as well. But March sounds great to me for Epics/Historical dramas.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Make it Musicals/comedies as previously suggested and you open it more.

As I said before, I'll give all of them a go. Just don't expect obsessive crazy numbers like the scary movie challenge ;)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
OK then, I'll do a Historical Drama/Epics challenge in March. I'll open the thread in a couple weeks.

Here are my thoughts on qualifications.

1) Any movie set in any realistic, historical time period. Not necessarily non-fiction. Examples: A Very Long Engagement: YES. Elizabeth: YES Star Wars: NO. "A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away" doesn't qualify.

2) Any movie with a running time of at least 160 minutes. Examples: Heat: YES. Doctor Zhivago: DOUBLE YES. LOTR: If you must, but the idea is to branch out. Prepare to be mocked. Titus: No under rule 1 (not a realistic time period) but YES under rule 2.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
should probably save this for the thread, but I think maybe we should discount LOTR from the historical drama/epics. It is a fantasy right? I know they treat Middle Earth like a real world, it isn't though. ;)

LOTR makes sense to a Sci fi / Fantasy. I see these movie as ones that are monster/science or monster based, but not in a horror movie vane.

I should get my copy of El Cid for march. :D

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I think John's criteria are either/or, not that they must meet both. Hence, some LOTR films would meet the 160 minute minimum (as would "King Kong" 2005 :D ) as an "epic" defined by Criteria 2.

PatW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Patricia
Star Wars is a sci-fi epic so in that sense it should be included. But I have no problem discounting it. I'll include it in the sci-fi challenge. :D Oh goody, I get to watch King Kong again.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
First, thanks for Tim for suggesting this Winter Crime Theme.

Films

L.A. Confidential
D.O.A.
Too Late For Tears
The Mirror Crack'd
The Thin Man
Shadow of the Thin Man
Murder My Sweet
Pickup On South Street
3:10 To Yuma (2007)
Zodiac
The Lady Vanishes
Eastern Promises
No Country For Old Men
Pulp Fiction

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks