What's new

Official 13th Annual HTF October Scary Movie Challenge 2012 (1 Viewer)

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I actually just finsihed DIE ANOTHER DAY (boring) last night. I had only seen a couple of the Connery films so I decided to watch them all in order leading up to the newest one. It was a good time. I did think about an "End of the World" thread leading up to 12/21 as there are countless disaster films I need to catch up on. :)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Originally Posted by Radioman970 /t/323882/official-13th-annual-htf-october-scary-movie-challenge-2012/60#post_3981376
A suggestion: "Official 13th Annual HTF October Scary Movie & James Bond Movie Challenge 2012"
?? please please yes yes please please ??

I've been on this board for a while and I noticed what a sensitive fella you are. I have no doubt that the Bond films are terrifying, tense experiences for you and therefore perfectly suited for the challenge.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
^^^
If this doesn't happen I'll know you all don't love me anymore.
I haven't even opened that beautiful package. Came with a poster book too!

Jason Roer

Supporting Actor
Hey John - I didn't see my name on your list in the opening post of the thread. I'll be doing the challenge up til the 28th, after which I'm away. Hoping to get to the 31 again this year, but we'll see.
My placeholder is on the first page and that's where I'll be updating my list, obviously.
I am SO stoked about the Universal collection on Blu!
Cheers,
J

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Jason,
You're on the list. Just wasn't sure if you wanted that post as your official list/placeholder.
And for the James Bond thing, you can always have an additional/alternative list in this section or on your personal list :)
I won't have time for James Bond, as I only like a select few and I'll be busy with either the Hallowen movies or playing Resident Evil 6.
I'm also playing the new Elvira pinball table on pinball arcade with my new Ipad3.
Also, with V/H/S, please let me know what you all think of that movie. I just saw the trailer and thought it looked very original. I would also like to see SCARE FACTORS(scare ratings) in peoples thoughts and reviews.
You all don't have to do it, but I'd like to see what scares you and what doesn't.
I'm curious to see how scary V/H/S is.

Jason Roer

Supporting Actor
Michael - thanks for letting us know about V/H/S being on HD Net Movies next week. Looking forward to checking it out. Also - love that your child is enjoying Scooby so much. My son's favorite movie from the time he was 1.5-3 was Nightmare Before X-Mas. He also loved Corpse Bride. I feel like I'm doing my job right.
Cheers,
J

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I got my copy of Night of the Living Dead (1990) bluray from Twilight Time today.
Going to be watching this on Wednesday night.
Haven't seen it for many years.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
JohnS said:
And for the James Bond thing, you can always have an additional/alternative list in this section or on your personal list :)...
I was just being silly on that. I do crave them, especially now that I actually opened the thing. An amazing set! Most of those Bonds I've either never seen or I was still in my teens last time. Should be quite a ride. I'll start it in November MOST DEFINITELY!

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
^^ I'm off on Monday so my titles are already lined up starting at the strike of the clock.
I'm not sure how V/H/S will be but earlier in the year I watched the "found footage" film ATROCIOUS and thought it was pretty damn creepy. It seems that the majority of reviews are mixed but I thought it was quite effective. I noticed that another horror movie, SMILEY, is getting released into theaters but I'm not sure if it's wide or not.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I've missed the past year or two/three, but I'd like to participate this year. Count me In.
01) Scared to Death (1947) *1/2
02) Zombies of Mora Tau (1958) **
03) E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial (1982) **1/2
04) Phantom of the Opera (1943) **1/2
05) Dracula (1931) ***
06) The Mummy (1932) ***
07) The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974) ****
08) The Invisible Man (1933) ****
09) Westworld (1973) ****
10) Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954) ***
11) The Wolf Man (1941) ****
12) Man Made Monster (1941) ***
13) The Black Sleep (1956) **1/2
14) Fantasia (1940) **1/2
15) The Return of Dr. X (1939) **1/2
16) Ilsa: She-Wolf of the S.S. (1974) **1/2
17) Werewolf of London (1935) **1/2
18) Dracula's Daughter (1936) ***1/2
19) The Invisible Man Returns (1940) ***
20) The Invisible Man's Revenge (1944) **
21) The Mad Ghoul (1943) **1/2
22) House of Horrors (1946) **
23) Dracula vs. Frankenstein (1971) **1/2
24) The Mummy's Ghost (1944) **1/2
25) The Mummy's Curse (1944) **
26) Frankenstein (1931) THEATRICAL SCREENING ****
27) Bride of Frankenstein (1935) THEATRICAL SCREENING ****
28) Halloween II (1981) ***
29) Halloween H20: Twenty Years Later (1998) **1/2
30) Jason X (2001) **

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I've decided to start the challenge tonight with the original Phantom of the Opera. I've seen it before, some version I taped off of A&E back in the early 90's when A&E still showed that type of thing. I got the bluray version that came out last year. I'll probably watch the 20 fps version and the standard version.

Excited to get going!

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Joe Karlosi,
You've been added.
Anyone I've missed.
If the links don't work let me know. I'm doing this all on my new IPad 3, so I'm still getting use to it.
Russell G,
Nice start. I haven't seen Phantom of the Opera yet.
I decided to start my first movie with a movie I haven't seen before and was a first Abbott and Costello film for me. I watched it from a DVR recording from TCM.
Abbott and Costello Meet the Mummy A fun movie. I enjoyed it throughout. But really liked it when they found the hidden temple entrance.
I also loved the shovel is a pick joke.
Scare factor= none

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Bold means new viewing. The new 'scares' might not last as creepy, intense, scary, freaky and various other words could fit a film for different reasons. Film ratings out of four.
The Nesting (1981)
Writer Laura Cochran (Robin Groves) rents an old mansion from Colonel LeBrun (John Carradine) and soon realizes that there are some strange things going on inside it. It turns out that the mansion was used in WWII for prostitution and that many of them were brutally murdered and now their vengeful spirits are there. The 80s will always be remembered by horror fans for the countless slashers but if you look back at the early part of the decade you'll notice countless haunted house movies. This one here certainly isn't in the same league as THE SHINING or THE CHANGELING but for the first minutes it's actually pretty good but sadly it all falls apart. The first portion of the film actually managed to bring up a nice atmosphere, which led to a few creepy moments but these scenes quickly went out the window as the film started to movie into the second half. This is where the film really went off the tracks because they take everything from the house to the outside and we got some pretty stupid scenes and not any good ones. There are two weirdos on the outside bothering the writer and we get separate attack scenes and neither of them are very effective. I'm going to avoid spoiling anything but the second attack gets dragged out to a pretty long sequence, which just ends is a very silly fashion. Another problem with the film is that it runs way too long and simply doesn't have a strong enough of a story to keep the viewer interesting in what's going on. Groves offers up a good performance as the writer who is slowly losing her mind as does Michael David Lally and Christopher Loomis in his small role. Vet Carradine is always fun to watch but it looks like by 1981 people would know better than to rent a house from him. Oscar winner Gloria Grahame (THE BAD AND THE BEAUTIFUL) makes a small appearance here in her final film. Another thing that kept bothering me throughout this film is wondering why the writer simply didn't leave the house. I mean, after countless deaths, attacks on your life and strange happenings, there really wasn't a reason for her to stay yet she just put up with all of this as if it was just a typical day. THE NESTING isn't a bad movie but at the same time it certainly needed a lot of work to be made better.
Film: **
Scares: 2/10
Format: Netflix Streaming
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow (1972)
Animated version of the Washington Irving story has the one and only John Carradine serving as the narrator. If you're already familiar with the Irving story then it's doubtful anything here is going to send you for a shock. While watching the film I can see why kids back in 1972 might have been terrified of this thing but when viewing it today the film is quite harmless. I must admit that I was somewhat letdown after hearing so many positive things about the film but I'm guessing most of these reviews come from those who saw it as a child and the memories of being scared stuck with them throughout the years. The film contains some really good animation and I thought the filmmakers did a pretty good job and especially in the darker, more horror related moments. I thought the appearance of the headless horseman was nicely done and I liked the scenes with the full moon lighting everything up. With that said, I think the film spent way too many times outside of these horror elements and the more friendly stuff simply wasn't all that interesting. Carradine does an excellent job using that great voice of his though.
Film: ** 1/2
Scares: 0/10
Format: YouTube
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)
Kevin McCarthy plays a small town doctor who starts to see strange behavior in those around him. He soon learns that there's been an alien invasion where people are being replaced by copies of themselves hatched from pods. Next to THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL, this here is the greatest science fiction film to come from this era and it's a real shame that this one here doesn't get quite as much attention as it should. I think a large reason for that is this film spawned so many poor imitations that people simply started to overlook what a chilling and unforgettable film this is. I think the majority of the credit has to go to director Don Siegel who does a remarkable job at creating a very chilling atmosphere and the paranoia we see from the McCarthy character is something the viewer feels just from the direction. The film is told in an incredibly fast pace and I really loved the way Siegel gave the viewer information the same time that McCarthy is learning everything. At first we're baffled as to what's going on. Then, slowly, we start to fear what McCarthy does and I think the director made a very wise choice to string the viewer along and let the paranoia of the situation grow more and more dire. I won't spoil the ending for whoever hasn't seen the picture but it's clearly one of the greatest and most memorable of the genre. Even the pod creations are so simple yet they're so effective at the same time. The story too is quite simple and I'm sure dozens of directors would have simply turned this into yet another drive-in flick but Siegel makes it something much more than that. McCarthy's performance is something that is also very much underrated. Again, his last spill is terrific but I really loved the seriousness he brought to the role. The performance makes you feel and believe that this stuff is really happening. The supporting players are all just as good with everyone fitting their roles perfectly. At just 81-minutes the film flies by and there's really not a single frame where you're not caught up in everything going on.
Film: ****
Scares: 6/10
Format: Amazon Instant

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
JohnS,
Where do we list the films we have watched (that is, the major or cumulative list)? Thanks.
I will move my list once I know where it should be. :)
October 1
Films:
01. The Fly (1958)
02. The Creature From the Black Lagoon (1954)
Television episodes:
01. The Brady Bunch ("Fright Night") (1972)
My children have already started decorating our home! I went to my running bag this morning, and there were two skeletons on it. Light switches, walls, closets, etc. have all kinds of creepy things hanging from them or in them now. And my youngest daughter is already trying on possible costumes. I told her she has an entire month before we go trick-or-treating. She loves the holiday almost as much as I do, it seems. :)

PatW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Patricia
01 Insidious (2010) :star::star::star::star:
Effective, interesting and scary thriller that utilizes haunted houses, ghost, a demon, astral projection and paranormal researchers.
Patrick Wilson and Rose Byrne play the parents of a young boy who after moving into a new house find that their son has entered into
a coma. Believing the house to be haunted they leave for another home. Weird happenings start up in this house and it's then that they decide
to engage the services of a paranormal investigative team.
I saw this movie last year and I seemed to have enjoyed it a bit better this time around. Probably one of the better horror movies that I've seen lately.
TV
01 666 Park Ave. Pilot episode :star::star::star::half:
Decent start to this series though I have some issues with the wisdom of scheduling this on a Sunday due to the fact that some people will
certainly be offended.
Terry O'Quinn was excellent as Gavin Doran the evil owner of the high-end apartment complex The Drake. A young couple Jane and Henry are hired to be the new building managers. The job comes complete with a beautiful apartment but they soon might decover that their good fortune comes with too high a price because supernatural forces are certainly at work here. I just hope it's able to keep my interest as it moves foward.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Ockeghem,
Your film list is wherever your film list is at.
Go to the very first post(my post) find your name and click on it.
It will take you to wherever your placeholder is at.

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
1. The Picture of Dorian Gray (1945) (first-time viewing)
Classic horror done well. Not on par with Universal Pictures monster classics, and not particularly scary--the horror is derived from witnessing a man's descent into a creature without a soul, as he systematically erases his humanity, with only his hidden portrait showing the effects. The use of color to show the portrait (in an otherwise black and white film) was an inspired and breathtaking choice. The pacing of the film was a bit languid by today's standards, this one felt about 20 minutes too long, but the ending still packed a punch even though it wasn't really a surprise. George Sanders is loads of fun as a hedonistic gentleman who somewhat resembles the devil himself, and a young Angela Lansbury and Donna Reed are lovely to look at.
(Rather writing all the reviews back here on page 3 that no one will see, I'm going to keep a running list below, as well as beneath each new review.)
Bob's October 2012 Horror Movie List
FTV denotes first time viewing
1. The Picture of Dorian Gray (1945) (FTV)
2. Santa Sangre (FTV)
3. Seance On A Wet Afternoon (FTV)
4. Martyrs (FTV)
5. I Saw the Devil (FTV)
6. The Loved Ones (FTV)
7. Seconds Apart (FTV)
8. And Now the Screaming Starts! (FTV)
9. Blind Beast (FTV)
10. The Curse of Frankenstein (FTV)
11. Black Sheep (FTV)
12. Cry of the Banshee (FTV)
13. A Bucket of Blood (FTV)
14. The Haunted Palace (FTV)
15. The Silent House (La Casa Muda) (FTV)
16. Lemora, A Child's Tale of the Supernatural (FTV)
17. Long Weekend (1978) (FTV)
18. Witchcraft (1964) (FTV)
19. The Innkeepers (FTV)
20. Frankenweenie (FTV)
21. Cabin in the Woods
22. Pieces (FTV)
23. I Drink Your Blood (FTV)
24. Ghost Ship (FTV)
25. Just Before Dawn (FTV)
26. The Bad Seed
27. The Theater Bizarre (FTV)
28. The Strangers (FTV)
29. Blood and Roses (FTV)
30. The Haunting of Julia (aka Full Circle) (FTV)
31. Horrors of the Black Museum (FTV)
32. Tower of London (1962) (FTV)
33. Mystics in Bali (FTV)
34. Strangler of the Swamp (FTV)
35. Lovely Molly (FTV)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks