What's new

*** Official 10th Annual HTF October Scary Movie Challenge 2009 *** (1 Viewer)

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Out of
Pulpy crime flic has a group of thugs working for a mysterious criminal mastermind. Karloff plays the main enforcer of the gang.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Zaat (1975, FTV) - an idiotic scientist decides to turn himself into a walking catfish monster. He also wants to create a new race of fellow walking catfish monsters. This is a horrible movie. It starts off with some laughable narration and an awful folk song. It only gets worse from there. That said, I was cracking up a lot throughout this thing. There's one golden moment shortly after the guy has changed into monster form. He's walking through a basement and clearly trips over something, perhaps the shitty monster costume itself. We're also privy to the long, drawn out process of him getting his machines, pullies and other junk together for the mutation. This takes up about 20 minutes of screen time all by itself. About halfway through the film, we get more awful singing from a bunch of hippies, followed by a march to the local jail. The so-called hero of the picture is a joke. He and his girlfriend also wear ridiculous red jumpsuits. They should've just stuck with the college guy and the sheriff, not that doing so would have saved the movie or anything. This is #7 on the IMDB bottom 100 list. I wouldn't rate it that low simply because of the amusement I got out of it, but it's really bad.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I decided to watch one more movie after I got home last night...

99. Freddy Vs. Jason
The title says it all. As someone who grew up watching F13 and Nightmare movies, this movie is a dream come true. Some of the acting is a bit shaky (to be nice) but the battle between Freddy and Jason is worth the price of admission. I also think that they managed to blend the two series together about as well as could be done. It ain't great art but if you're a fan of the two characters, you probably enjoy this movie.

I'll get one or two more movies in this afternoon and call it quits. Then tonight, I'll rewatch the original Halloween and Halloween II for the holiday.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Oct. 30:

Films:

Dr. Phibes Rises Again (1972) 1/2

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Shadow of the Vampire (2000)

Don Barton

Insane horror film has had many call it one of the worst ever made but something this entertaining can't be called the worst of anything. Well, perhaps the actual story is the worst idea in the history of cinema but this leads to quite a bit of fun. A silly scientist is tired of having people make fun of him over his ideas so he decides the world would be a better place if fish ran it. The dumb doctor injects himself with some sort of formula and then takes a bath in a tank, which transforms him into a walking catfish. Okay, who in their right mind thought a movie about a walking catfish would be scary? If you enjoy films like ATTACK OF THE GIANT LEECHES, CURSE OF THE SWAMP CREATURES or various other drive-in stuff then you might find yourself enjoying this mess even though it's pretty bad from start to finish. For the life of me I can't understand a single thing about this movie as the entire "lets turn myself into a fish" routine never makes sense nor does his entire plan for kidnapping women to mate with. What's even dumber is that a film like this would need the running time of 100-minutes, which is the real reason one wouldn't be able to laugh at this thing even more. Had twenty or so minutes been cut then I'm sure more people would look at this sucker as some sort of cult classic but the thing just keeps going on and on and includes a rather bizarre and worthless scene of hippies singing songs before being led to jail for their safety. The monster outfit looks incredibly silly but it'll certainly stay in your mind after viewing the film. Whereas most low budget movies keep the monster hidden away, thankfully that's not the case here as he shows up by the ten-minute mark and never leaves the screen for more than a couple of minutes. At least the director knew to give us the monster throughout. This movie is currently in IMDB's Bottom 10 list, which is a bit too rough on a film like this. It might not have a budget, any good actors or a good looking monster but it still remains entertaining just because how silly it is. Fans of "Z" grade horror films should get a kick out of this thing so for them it would be recommended.

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
074) 10/30/2009 Night of the Creeps - The Director's Cut (1986) https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/4/4d/htf_images_smilies_star.gif">

Space parasites land on earth in 1959 and are frozen, get thawed out in 1986, and are let loose on a college campus. They feed on brains and multiply. Really enjoyable combination of horror and '50s sci-fi thrillers features great effects and spot-on performances, especially Tom Akins as the investigating detective who has his own secret to hide. Witty dialogue and engaging characters make the horror stuff work very well.

075) 10/30/2009 The Stepfather (1987)

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
The Thing from Another World (1951)

I took another shot at this so-called "classic" that must have come off stronger in its heyday. While so-so and certainly not a bad film, today it feels like one of any number of sci-fi '50s flicks that came along after it. THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD remains one of the most incredibly overrated movies in history for me. Although the on screen directorial credit is given to Christian Nyby, it's been long believed that Howard Hawks (who produced) had a hand in it. I firmly believe that it's because of Hawks' involvement that this thing enjoys such bizarre praise, despite that it's so undeserving. Maybe some of its acclaim also has to do with figuring in that this was the first real "flying saucer/space monster" sci-fi film to come out of the 1950s.

There's very little going on when we're not presented with a lot of talking heads
and overly-analytical dialogue. The movie thinks it's intelligent, but it's hard to keep a straight face while watching learned scientists and soldiers seriously discuss a vegetable creature that's like a living and thinking carrot but resembles Yul Brynner, yet don't wonder how it managed to wear clothing and shoes. This monster can behave brutally at times (its attack on the dogs is one merciful high point), but he's also pretty pedestrian looking for a living carrot man. None of the characters are particularly interesting or likable, from Ken Tobey's perfunctory captain, to the wise-cracking commentator, and the over-protective doctor. There's also a girlfriend thrown in for good measure, but she leaves no impression despite a lightweight "bondage" scene that was restored for the DVD but serves no purpose and was better off missing to keep the movie shorter. If there was ever a remake that surpassed its original while remaining closer to its source, it was John Carpenter's 1982 version, which was a truer adaptation of John Campbells' 1938 novella entitled "Who Goes There?" and was superior to this film in every way.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Joe,

Your write-up intrigues me. I don't own this film, but since you mentioned that "... it feels like one of any number of sci-fi '50s flicks that came along after it," then maybe this was the first of its kind in that specific genre? If so, all the more reason for me to pick it up. :)

And that 250-pack still beckons me....

PatW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Patricia
Perfect Creature (2006)

Not as entertaining as the first time I saw it but enjoyable enough for a mild pass. Arnie certainly had the physicality that the role requires and Gabriel Byrne makes a great Satan but the majority of the film is mediocre at best.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
The Ghost Ship (1943)

This is the only one of the Val Lewton produced "horror" films that I hadn't seen yet, but the title is misleading; it turned out to be not truly a horror film, but rather a drama with some freaky occurrences. The story centers on a kindly young Third Officer named Tom Merriam (Russell Wade, who I've enjoyed so much in Lewton's THE BODY SNATCHER) who gets a position aboard a ship alongside Captain Stone (Richard Dix), an odd commander with a driving penchant for authority. Merriam becomes suspicious of Stone when strange goings on begin to transpire under his command, and the young man begins to suspect his captain of murder. But convincing the officials and the rest of the loyal crew of his beliefs is not easy, and puts his own life at risk. While enjoyable enough, I didn't think this feature quite hit the mark as a "good" picture, and for a Val Lewton film it seemed to lack the subtle cinematic style these movies are so well-known for. Russell Wade was fine and much like the good-natured type of soul he played in THE BODY SNATCHER, but as the infrequently deranged captain, Richard Dix seemed a bit too inconsistent. The crater-faced Skelton Knaggs, a recognizable presence in so many mysterious '40s films, has a small but good part as a mute deckhand.

PatW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Patricia
The Fly (1958)

I only saw bits and pieces of the re-make because the original freaked me out so much. I can still hear " help me, help me" as the spider is ready to pounce on the human fly. Yikes!
Vincent Price had a small part here. For some reason I thought I remembered him as a bad guy in this movie. So much for memory.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
100. Friday The 13th (2009) (extended)
Jason kills people that wander too close to his cabin. I know some F13 fans HATED this movie but I dig it. There's no way to recapture Jason's glory days but this movie is like a greatest hits version of the first 4 movies. Derek Mears is a good Jason- big, fast and scary looking. I just bought this today so I hadn't seen the extended cut before but it's got quite a bit more violence than I remember being in the theatrical cut.

IanD

Stunt Coordinator
Originally Posted by TravisR

100. Friday The 13th (2009) (extended)
Jason kills people that wander too close to his cabin. I know some F13 fans HATED this movie but I dig it. There's no way to recapture Jason's glory days but this movie is like a greatest hits version of the first 4 movies. Derek Mears is a good Jason- big, fast and scary looking. I just bought this today so I hadn't seen the extended cut before but it's got quite a bit more violence than I remember being in the theatrical cut.
Its probably the best remake of the decade - in that its actually gripping and intense in a way the weak tea originals were not. Still has its silly bits but yeah, a good effort.

Bring on more remakes like this I say!

Mario Gauci

Senior HTF Member
10/28/09: WEREWOLF WOMAN (Rino Di Silvestro, 1976)
[COLOR= #323d4f] [/COLOR]
This is the only recent Paul Naschy film I have viewed (the credit sequence resolves itself in a succession of snapshots showing him made-up for his earlier pictures); to a large extent, it seems to have been enthusiastically received by fans and I liked it quite a bit myself (albeit with some reservations I will get to later). We have here an intriguing premise with the star (as always penning the script himself) ideally cast as a has-been thespian in search of work but clearly out-of-touch with the times; in fact, he is reduced to accepting “humiliating” odd-jobs such as doorman (under the guise of many a notorious historical figure) to a stag club owned by one Reficul (try reading that backwards) or directing snuff movies and, in the very opening scene, hilariously claims to get his sexual kicks nowadays by stuffing a rat enclosed in a condom through his rectum! Eventually, Naschy snaps and goes on a killing spree, targeting people from the industry who had either snubbed him or whom he believes forsake art for commerce; in this respect, Reficul’s gift of a cane concealing a Japanese rapier inside comes in mighty handy! Unfortunately, the plot during the latter stages becomes increasingly muddled: Naschy finds out about his boss’ identity (his transsexual assistant, then, is really Beelzebub!), with the latter explaining to him that with the signed contract he had given away his soul; cornered by the Police, he is shot and presumably killed; cut to a “Murillo” awards ceremony with the winner emerging to be a candidate whose seat is presently vacant…but then he turns up, at first with his back to the camera, and ultimately revealed to be an aged Naschy under a different name (apparently, he survived and has had a career renaissance in the interim – his talents vindicated at long last – thanks to the Devil’s doing)! Typical of today’s horror cinema, we get a flat-ugly look which does the film no favors at all – not to mention flashy technique (believing this is enough to give the whole a semblance of style but actually rendering it somewhat amateurish!) and copious gore (including a particularly repellent dismemberment). A mixed bag, then, but Naschy’s weathered features, sensitive performance and knowing critique of the profession – plus a decent score – are enough to redress the balance and make the ride worthwhile for seasoned genre fans.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Originally Posted by Russell G

I messed up my back yesterday walking to the bus stop. Not sure how that happened, but I'm blaming it on killing my taste and forcing me to watch the "Ghoulies" series of films....

Mine is still aching. Ghoulies! Eck! I remember the last time I watched the original hoping it would be kind of like Trolls. I was bored stiff.

Just completed my October viewing. Whew! I'll attempt to update my comments tomorrow but it may take a few days. I left off on October 18th movie #70.

Chucky P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Charles Paulsen
Here is my final total.

Happy Halloween

1st Time Viewings In [COLOR= #ff0000]Red![/COLOR]

Films
October 1st
1. Frankenstein (1931) (4.5/5)
2. The Bride Of Frankenstein (1935) (5/5)
October 2nd
3. An American Werewolf in London (1981) (4.5/5)
4. The Thing (1982) (4.5/5)
October 5th
5. Shaun of the Dead (2004) (4.5/5)
6. Jaws (1975) (5/5)
October 12th
7.[COLOR= #ff0000] The Tenant (1976) (4/5)[/COLOR]
October 20th
8. [COLOR= #ff0000]Låt den rätte komma in ([/COLOR][COLOR= #ff0000]2008[/COLOR][COLOR= #ff0000]) (4.5/5)[/COLOR]
9. [COLOR= #ff0000]Baghead (2008) (3/5)[/COLOR]
October 21st
10. Mark of the Vampire (1935) (4/5)
11. The Mask of Fu Manchu (1932) (4.5/5)
October 24th
12. Doctor X (1932) (4/5)
13. The Return Of Doctor X (1939) (3.5/5)
14. Poltergeist (1982) (4.5/5)
October 26st
15. Das Testament des Dr. Mabuse (1933) (5/5)
16. [COLOR= #ff0000]King Of The Zombies (1941) (2/5)[/COLOR]
October 27th
17. Mad Love (1935) (4.5/5)
18. The Devil Doll (1936) (4/5)
19. [COLOR= #ff0000]The Black Sleep (1956) (3/5)[/COLOR]
20. Dracula (1931) (4/5)
October 28th
21. [COLOR= #ff0000]Dracula (The Spanish Version) (1931) (3/5)[/COLOR]
22. The Body Snatcher (1945) (4.5/5)
23. Cat People (1943) (4/5)
October 30th
24. Curse Of The Cat People (1944) (4.5/5)25. [COLOR= #ff0000]Let's Scare Jessica To Death (1971) (3.5/5)[/COLOR]
26. 28 Days Later (2002) (4/5)
27. [COLOR= #ff0000]28 Weeks Later (2007) (3.5/5)[/COLOR]
October 31st
28. [COLOR= #ff0000]Amityville 3-D (1983) (3.5/5)
[/COLOR][COLOR= #000000]29. The Abominable Dr. Phibes (1971) (4.5/5)
30. Diary of a Madman (1963) (3/5)
31. Phantasm (1979) (3/5)[/COLOR]
Television
October 4th
1. Doctor Who: The Robots Of Death (4 episodes, 25 minuets each) (1977) (4/5)
October 10th
2. [COLOR= #ff0000]Count Dracula (1977) (150 minuets) (4/5)
[/COLOR]October 13th
3. [COLOR= #ff0000]Doctor Who: The Space Museum (1965) (4 episodes, 25 minuets each)[/COLOR] (3/5)
October 14th
4. Doctor Who: The Dominators (1968) (5 episodes, 25 minuets each) (3/5)
[COLOR= #000000]October 16th
5. Doctor Who: Time and the Rani (1987) (4 episodes, 25 minuets each) (1.5/5)
[/COLOR][COLOR= #000000]6. Doctor Who: Paradise Towers (1987) (4 episodes, 25 minuets each) (1.5/5)
[/COLOR]7. [COLOR= #ff0000]Doctor Who: The Underwater Menace (1967) (4 episodes, 25 minuets each) (3.5/5)
[/COLOR]October 17th
8. [COLOR= #ff0000]Doctor Who: The Space Pirates (1969) (6 episodes, 25 minuets each) (3/5)
9. Doctor Who: Pyramids Of Mars (1975) (4 episodes, 25 minuets each) (5/5)
10.Doctor Who: Underworld (1978) (4 episodes, 25 minuets each) (2/5)11. Doctor Who: The Twin Dilemma (1984) (4 episodes, 25 minuets each) (2.5/5)12. Doctor Who: Fear Her (2006) (45 minuets) (3/5)
October 18th
13. Doctor Who: Time Flight (1982) (4 episodes, 25 minuets each) (3/5)14. Doctor Who: Timelash (1985) (2 episodes, 45 minuets each) (2.5/5)
October 22
15. Doctor Who: The Talons Of Weng-Chiang (1977) (6 episodes, 25 minuets each) (4/5)[/COLOR]

PatW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Patricia
Dr. Phibes Rises Again (1972)

Great little sci-fi/horror film about an alien who crashes on earth bringing a vicious dragon-like monster along with him. He lands during the age of the Vikings, is captured by one of the tribes, is considered an enemy at first but then aligns himself with them in order to defeat the monster. The surprise here is James Caviezel who plays the alien as a tough, no nonsense fellow who quickly gains the trust of the villagers. Surprisingly Caviezel was totally believable in his role. The rest of the cast including John Hurt as the king and Sophia Myles as his daughter were all excellent in their parts. There is some good swordplay here as well as good monster action. I was reminded slightly of the 13th Warrior but this is far better.

PatW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Patricia
Well, I was hoping to finish with the Exorcist but time ran out. I managed to beat my total from last year.

Movies watched - 75. Of that total 58 watched for the first time.

10/01 01 Brides of Dracula (1960)

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Diary of a Madman (1963)

Reginald LeBorg

Vincent Price turns in another winning performance as Simon Cordier, a nice judge who goes to visit a man on death row and ends up having to kill him in self defense. Unfortunately for Simon, the dead man's evil spirit follows him home and slowly starts to turn him into a murderer. This film is certainly far ahead of its time and it's a shame that so many good ideas and performances are brought down a few notches because of some questionable direction. LeBorg's credits include the really bad VOODOO ISLAND, the bizarrely awful HOUSE OF BLACK DEATH and the all-star lineup THE BLACK SLEEP. While no stranger to the genre, LeBorg is clearly out of his league here because the psychological nature of the film never gets fully realized because it seems the director didn't know how to tell the story. Several scenes just drag along when they should have zipped by and the entire film has a rather odd pacing that doesn't help matters. The rest of the movie is pretty nice and, as I said, it was way ahead of its time. The "voices of evil" that are haunting Simon is something probably expanded from the mental state of Norman Bates in PSYCHO. This film takes that to a new level and really shows us that voice, which is constantly haunting Price and I thought it was done very nicely as we never know if the voice is there or if Price is just imagining it. I think you also get a brief look at what would eventually become the giallo the following year with Mario Bava's BLOOD AND BLACK LACE. During the murder scenes, Price is dressed in black with the famous black gloves stalking his victims. This is certainly something that would become quite popular in the films of Bava and Argento but here it is before them. The supporting cast features Nancy Kovack as the woman Price falls for and she delivers a remarkable performance. Her and Price really sizzle on the screen together during the rather obvious sexual innuendo. Chris Warfield is also good as her husband. In the end, this is a pretty impressive film that probably works a lot better today than it did in 1963. The film still isn't a complete success but one only wishes a stronger director was involved. I can only imagine what would have happened had someone like Bava been brought on board considering he did work with Price. The rich colors, marvelous sets and great costumes just add to what the film does offer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation199
Recent bookmarks