What's new

***Offical "RESIDENT EVIL" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Tony_Faville

Supporting Actor
Just got back from seeing it, I found it to be true to the spirit of the game and enjoyed it, alot. Have to admit though, it was not as violent as it could/should have been.

Alice looked great though....especially now that she has added some meat to her legs.....whoof!

Josh_Hill

Screenwriter
I will say that I thought this flick just kicked ass. I thought it was what a great horror/action film should be. I liked the way that it brought you into it. Lots of jumps too.
:star: :star: :star: 1/2

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Not too good a film. See it only if you have any interest in the game. Otherwise, you'll be bored, and amazed by the amount of dank cinematography. As usual, movies like these never do give you a reason to care about the characters, so you sort of just sit back and wonder who's going to die next.

Josh_Hill

Screenwriter
Not too good a film. See it only if you have any interest in the game. Otherwise, you'll be bored, and amazed by the amount of dank cinematography.
Ummm....Ive never played the game and loved the film. I didnt think the cinematography was all that dark either. I could always see what was going on. Anderson knows his cinematography.
Characters, I liked Milla's character cause she kicked ass. I mean, Im not expecting some deep characters here with a title like Resident Evil. Its a popcorn horror flick.
BTW- it made $19mil. http://www.boxofficereport.com/wbon/daily.shtml

StephenC

Stunt Coordinator
I liked the film.It will be interesting,next week, to compare Blade's R rating with this one.This film did not have much gore/blood.I hope that is not the case with Blade 2.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I liked the movie, but it wasn't THAT true to the first game. The first game was pure horror, and the second game was a mix of horror and action. The third game was just action.

Strangely, the first movie is more action-based, and the sequel will probably be more horror based.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
They are pretty much in the waiting stages to see how much it does over the weekend, before signing on the dotted line for a sequel.
But from what I hear they are all ready to go for Resident Evil:Nemisis
It will be funny to see if Paramount(Star Trek 10) sues them over the "Nemisis" title.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I doubt Paramount would pursue a lawsuit for a word like "Nemesis". "Goldfinger" may be a copywritten name/title, but general words (I'm fairly certain) can be used over and over again.
Let's not forget about the Nemesis series, after all:
Nemesis
Nemesis 2: Nebula
Nemesis 3: Prey Harder
Nemesis 4: Death Angel
:)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The actual videogame series runs sort of parallel with the movies.

In the first game, a bunch of policemen (and women) are sent to investigate a series of strange occurrences at a mansion in the middle of the forest on the outskirts of Raccoon City. The mansion was a secret lab where the Umbrella corporation was developing the T-virus, which accidentally was let out and turned everyone into zombies. At the end, only a few people got out alive, and when they did, they blew up the mansion.

In the second game, two different characters are used. One is the little sister of one of the characters from the first game (he got out alive) and the other one is a new cop in the unit that was sent into the mansion from the first game. They are in Raccoon City (which has been turned into chaos because the T-virus got out there, too, after the mansion incident) and they get separated. They go through many parts of the city, eventually coming to an underground lab (owned and run by Umbrella) and then get away via an express train underground.

In the third game, the main female character from the first game is stalked by Nemesis, a creation of Umbrella, as she tries to escape Raccoon City. The whole game takes place before, during, and a little bit after the second game, so its more a side story than a sequel. The girl eventually kills the Nemesis character and escapes from the city.

So as you can see, they are pretty much just going from the first game to the third game while still parallelling the story.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
As I posted back on the first page of this thread, the sequel is already in pre-production. Here are some details from IGN:

Resident Evil movie doesn't arrive in theaters until next Friday (March 15th), but the film's sequel has already been greenlit. The principle cast of the film had leaked details of the planned sequel during recent interviews, but word was that it wouldn't get the go-ahead until the first film's box office numbers were in. But today, Constantin Film and Sony's Screen Gems threw caution to the wind and inked a deal for a sequel based on presales and prerelease buzz alone.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, writer-director-producer Paul W.S. Anderson will be back for the sequel in at least the writing and producing capacity. He'll probably direct the picture too, but that's not been confirmed. The sequel has been tentatively dubbed Resident Evil: Nemesis.

THR even dished some details on the plot of the film, but beware of spoilers. They report, as we know, that the film is set in an underground research facility called the Hive, hidden miles beneath the Midwestern town of Raccoon City. And here's where the scoop comes in: The film reportedly ends above ground with the remnants of a metropolis ravaged by destruction – that's where the sequel picks up.

Marty Lockstead

Second Unit
All this talk about the Mortal Kombat movie is pointless to me, since it's just a complete ripp-off of a REAL classic called ENTER THE DRAGON anyhow! I wonder how much gore the MPAA forced Anderson to cut for an R rating on Res Evil? They apparently gave him a hard time when it came time to rate Soldier as well. According to the commentary track on the dvd, (which was surprisingly well done for an action film I thought) he had to trim the fight between Kurt with his 2 buddies and Caine 607 (Jason Scott Lee) up in the chains. He is quoted as saying that he wanted that scene to be like "a brutal street fight". God only knows how much ended up on the cutting room floor when it was Event Horizon's turn to get rated.

Josh_Hill

Screenwriter
Yeah, I hope we get a Unrated version on DVD. If those American Pie movies can get it, why not a movie that really needs it!

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I've played the videogame series and I enjoyed the movie. It wasn't amazing or anything but it was fun! I went with a bunch(4) of people who have all played the R.E. series and we all liked it.
I would have liked to have seen a few jokes in relation to the game but you can't ask for everything.:D
One thing that did happen in the theatre I was at..., the ushers came in a checked movie stubs and I.D. of anyone looking under age. They did this before the movie started and during the movie for the kids that snuck in after the movie had started. This R rating has got to be killing them at the box office!

EricW

Senior HTF Member
i don't know if this has been discussed yet, but the scene where the team tries the elevators and they don't work - one of them says to the other "looks like we're taking the stairs" - is this an homage to Speed?

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
I found that this movie was had a totoally kicking first half an hour. It really set it up nicely and everything. I also found ewith the violence that less is more. I rather have this han Dawn of the Dead when the zombies had the guts in their hands. that's just a little too much for me. I really enjoyed the make actor who I think stars in Angel or Buffy? The only problem I really had with this flick was the continuity errors. Some ofthem trapped in this area and then all of a sudden they get back with the group out of nowhere. I think one thing that really stands out, was that it's budget didn't hurt it at all.

StephenC

Stunt Coordinator
Heard while walking out of the theater:"That was so much better than that crap Dawn of the Dead.":angry: WTF

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
Honestly I can kind of understand that why people would say something like that. While the ideals and theme of Dawn of the Dead still stand firm, the visuals and FX of the film are very dated which turns a lot people away. Honestly, I see the two shows as two different things altogether. This is one reason I think it's better not to show the violence in some situations. Then the FX of it can not be dated, only limited to what your can think is happening. This is one of the things I found refreshing about Resident Evil.

Josh_Hill

Screenwriter
Link Removed
She just looks like she could kick your ass. As far as Im concerned Milla really made this film great. I really respect her as an actress.

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
Heard while walking out of the theater:"That was so much better than that crap Dawn of the Dead.":angry: WTF
Well, at the risk of being flamed, it was nowhere near as good as Night of the Living Dead or Dawn of the Dead, but it was much better than Day of the Dead. I didn't object to the gore, but the movie was just BAD. Bad acting (to be expected), bad dialogue, nobody to care about. After watching that movie I felt like I was stuck in an underground bunker for several hours.
Resident Evil, while FAR from being great, was a fun hour and a half with some exciting moments, but there were some continuity errors. Hopefully if we get a director's cut DVD it will be even better. I'll definitely get it on DVD.
And yeah, Milla Jovovich kicks some serious zombie ass! That, and she is dead sexy!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks