What's new

Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle (2003) (1 Viewer)

Jacinto

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacinto
Maybe if we put enough people whose careers are on the down-swing in one movie...

Bernie Mac, yours is on the UP-swing! Run!! Run like there's no tomorrow!! Look at the first one! Sam Rockwell's career was on the up-swing, too! What happened to him?!!!

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Well, Rockwell does now have the lead in the George Clooney project about Chuck Barris (well, apparently it's sort of about him, but a bit "weird" as well). Confessions of a Dangerous Mind. So I don't think he's been totally derailed.
He had a nice small bit in Made as well. And of course Heist, which it's hard to fault him on there. Mamet script, DeVito, Hackman, Lindo caper film...nothing wrong with going for a project like that.
Liu on the downswing??? Hmm, with her roles in Payback and Shanghai Noon going into the CA role, it seemed like she was perhaps making that jump from TV to film pretty well. I see nothing to say otherwise yet. She has a part in the film version of Chicago: The Musical which has good buzz along with QTs Kill Bill.
Cameron Diaz...on the DOWNswing. Um, okay. She's only moving toward being able to open a film by herself, hardly a career in decline. Vanilla Sky, Shrek and Gangs of NY...yeah, she was on the verge of falling of the table at the time.
Drew - well Drew is moving into production and looks to be some sort of force in H'wood on the rise, as far as I can tell. Or have you overlooked her executive production of Donnie Darko, along with acting in that film. And she's right back behind financing CA2 and the Barbarella project.
Luke Wilson - obviously on the climb and went right into a major role in Royal Tenenbaums, for one.
LL Cool J - no bigger or smaller than at the time of CA. He does his bit roles and gets his paycheck still.
Tim Curry - well, not upswing, but not decline either. Pretty well respected actor continues to do the light comedy, TV work, semi-villan stuff just like he did for CA.
Crispin Glover - not in decline, he just tends to avoid mainstream work. CA and BTTF are by far his two most mainstream films. Since CA it's back to the indy world for him.
LaBlanc - well this is actually part of his upswing, if he ever will break through. He was just coming of Lost in Space, which while not great, was a major role in a big money film.
Kelly Lynch - okay, she has sort of fallen off the map, but that was about 10 years before CA so she was well past the downswing. This film was a nice bit of exposure for her career, which hasn't been the same after her strong run in 88-89.
So, do you mean Bill Murray then? Well, he just came off his most critically appreciated role in Rushmore, and even had a nice turn in Wild Things. And after CA he had another solid turn in Anderson's Royal Tenebaums. I can agree that he is not nearly as hot as a comedian now as he was, but I don't know that as an actor he's in decline. He's had some of his best work in that regard in the last couple of years.
But no, he doesn't seem to be as funny now.
And the director McG couldn't be in decline for CA, for obvious reasons.
Good or bad film, I won't argue. But a film full of people who are on the way out, I guess I didn't see that. Seemed more like a film that was loaded with talent.
And as I said on page 1, I LOVE the idea of Bernie Mac in this film.
Now Demi Moore, well she sort of fits the Kelly Lynch mold now doesn't she? And actually I can see Robert Patrick as similar in type to what Rockwell was as a villan (though Sam is probably a bit more dynamic).
So far it sounds like the sequel will be similar in quality, story, characters as the first one. For some of us this is good, for others it is not. :)

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
I think that Bill Murray has been taking more serious, melancholy (or melancholy-funny) roles lately, and has been pulling them off very well. He was great as Polonius in Hamlet a couple of years ago (the Ethan Hawke one). And yeah, he was unbelieveable in Rushmore.

Rollo Lee

Agent
I remember reading that they had a helluva time getting Bill Murray in the first place. He didn't want to do it, so they had to dump money on him. With the Lucy Liu problems, I'm not surprised that he isn't returning. But to be honest, he wasn't particularly memorable in the role.

The only players that matter IMHO are McG and his cinematographer Russell Carpenter. Charlie's Angels very very clearly was a result of McG's vision, good or bad. I think his use of music was truly inspired and he is the ONLY music video director that I know of who can put together a "MTV-style" action scene that is still COHERENT. Despite all of the camera tricks and rapid editing, you could actually follow the action! That impressed me.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I didn't know which Charlie's Angels 2 thread to revive, so I grabbed my own. :D
Came across a recent interview with McG and it's one that may not help convert any of his detractors.
Referring to a boxing sequence with Drew Barrymore:
I mock, but you all know I dig the original CA and I think McG could be a great addition to the Hollywood Director's Crew. We'll always need crazy colorful action movies, and the guy seems to have a real humility and sense of humor about himself.
Man I hope this sequel doesn't suck. ;)
Full article (and a fun read) is available here:
http://actionadventure.about.com/lib.../aa102602a.htm

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Supposedly Bill Murray is one of the hardest people to get in touch with in the business. My experience has been exactly the opposite.

I'm writing my thesis on a film that Murray did 20 years ago. Back in January and February I sent interview requests to Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd and Zach Galligan (Gremlins). The ones for Murray and Aykroyd I called in, and the one for Galligan I faxed (because I didn't have a private number). Well, Murray was the first to call me back, and I spent a good half hour talking to him. Aykroyd called me soon thereafter, and after trying for months and talking to his agent's office several times, I STILL haven't been able to interview Zach Galligan.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
To tell you the truth, the Angel I had the biggest problem with in the first film was Drew Barrymoore. She's got a really hot body, but sorry, that chin just kills it for me. I know, I know that's superficial, but that's the way I called it.
And I agree, while I love Bill Murray, he didn't make a big enough impression in the original for me to really get that upset about him not returning. Lucy Liu is more vital to the film in terms of keeping the Angels together, plus she's my favorite Angel.
I love Asian women, and she is too fine to let go!
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

I just hope someone either stabbed or shot "the Chad"! He irritates me on a molecular level!

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I'm in basic agreement with you, John. I thought the film was an amusing, fluffy bit of eye candy. Lucy Liu was 'lish in the film (I loved the bit with the engineers), and I don't care for Barrymore that much. Cameron was also yummy. :)

Dennis Pagoulatos

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dennis
Summing up how pathetic Barrymore was in the first film:
"And that's kickin' your ATTTTHHHH..."
Lisping freak! :D
-Dennis

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Cold, Dennis! :) While I agree with you about the way Drew spoke in the film, don't you think it would be wise to retool your post a little, their may be people here that have lisps.
Just a suggestion.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
You guys are freaks :p), all 3 girls are hot and represent just how stupid women can sometimes be about competitive beauty. There are just so many ways women can be hot they should just be a lot less uptight about their own style, there are many women in the 8-10 range and once you get there it really doesn't matter anymore - its all wonderful in a variety of ways.
For me CA is like s buffet of hotness. ;) If the Drew line is the shortest I have no problem getting in it. :D
The last trailer really got me back into the excited mode for the new film. It actually looks to be just as much fun as the first, campy in a good way, rather than forgetting that aspect and just shoving CGI action at us. The girls must be more than eye candy, they have to have fun dynamics together on screen which it looks like they still do.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Totally agree with you there Seth. I was concerned after seeing the original Tank teaser, but this new trailer is so impressive. Everything seems in place, from the bizarre set pieces, the action, the comedy, and the enthusiasm that all of them are showing.
Whenever I hear they great My Sharona intro, I get psyched. They must have cooked the sound up for just that trailer because it is always cranked. :emoji_thumbsup:
Oh, and Cameron made the first movie!

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Well, maybe when I said that Drew's chin kills it for me was exaggerated, I mean come on, she's got a killer body otherwise, she's Drew Barrymoore! :)
But she is the shortest straw in the bunch though and kinda clashes with the other two in a small negative way that I can't explain, maybe it's because her fighting skills are a tad weaker than Diaz's or Liu's, I don't know.
Personally, I wish it was Drew that Murray was having problems with so that they could can her, keep him, and replace her with Heather Graham! :D
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif
She'd make one hell of an Angel!
Don't get me wrong, I really like the original and can really get into it, it's a fun ride, and I like McG's style quite a bit.
I still wish swift and painful death on "the Chad" though. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks