What's new

International Odds Against Tomorrow (1959) on blu ray 10/24/16 (1 Viewer)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
BFI will release a blu ray/DVD of the noir crime classic Odds Against Tomorrow (1959) with Harry Belafonte, Robert Ryan, Shelley Winters and Gloria Grahame and directed by Robert Wise. That's the good news! Unfortunately, at least according to Amazon.UK, the film will be in the 1.37 ratio. I stand to be corrected but I don't think the film has ever been shown in a wide screen format on home video and I can't believe an American film circa 1959 was released in a 1.37 ratio. Hopefully, Amazon.UK is just assuming it will be in the 1.37 format.

Last edited:

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Thank you Thomas for that info...I can't imagine this great and exciting film being presented in a bastardized aspect ratio...such an impressive film with that great cast, intense action and plot development and fantastic NYC location filming...an important film too, for Fans of Robert Wise and Robert Ryan (the whole cast is very strong)...wow...

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I watched this disc yesterday. It is in 1.37:1 ratio and in the combined package BFI repeat three times that this is correct. They make the point so often that I suspect they have nagging doubts themselves.

Looking at the film, in most shots there is surplus space at the top, but not in every shot. There were some scenes where I couldn't see how it would be possible to crop without damaging the shot. So at present I am bewildered. I'm going to have another look in a few days time to check again.

The disc comes with numerous "extras" including a 74 minute on-stage interview with Robert Wise. This interview is really good and on its own justifies buying the disc. I was surprised to discover that Mr. Wise spoke so quickly. I haven't yet sampled the other additional material. There is also a PAL DVD which I will only ever use for making screen captures..

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I watched this disc yesterday. It is in 1.37:1 ratio and in the combined package BFI repeat three times that this is correct. They make the point so often that I suspect they have nagging doubts themselves/QUOTE]

Paging Mr. Furmanek!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks