What's new

October Sky S.E. - Remastered? (1 Viewer)

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
Just realized October Sky S.E. is coming next week. Haven't seen any fanfare and a search turned up bupkus here. Does anyone know if there will be a video remaster on this disc? From the specs what seems to be new are a DTS track, commentary, and a documentary (don't know the details of the latter). Great movie.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Good question Jay. One of best films of 1999. I quickly sold my original copy when I learned of this being re-released in dts. It's probably the same transfer but it still might be a slight improvement since it's been about 5 years ago since this was authored to dvd. Might be a little cleaner??

I hope so.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I met the real Homer Hickham at a convention about 4 years ago, and he autographed a copy of his book "Rocket Boys" for me.

There was an interesting bit of trivia that I'll share. Hickham wanted the movie to be named "Rocket Boys" after the book, but the studio didn't like the title (too juvenile, or something was their reason). He reportedly went home and was hammering out titles to no avail when he decided to enter "Rocket Boys" into an anagram generator and out popped "October Sky".

Pretty crazy, huh?

I'll probably pick this title up depending on the features.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Cool story Eric. Rocket boys would have certainly worked for me too. :) BTW, October Sky also has a fabulous soundtrack. :emoji_thumbsup:

KyleC

Supporting Actor
I rented this back when it first came out. I liked it alot and did some research about Hickam on the net. I found his NASA e-mail address and wrote. I got an e-mail back a few days later not from Homer but his wife. She was very nice and wrote me back. She didn't even know how I got his NASA e-mail since he had been retired for awhile at the time I wrote. I've always been into space and astronomy so I really liked this movie. Very inspirational.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm so glad someone started this thread because I had no idea that the October Sky DVD was even getting re-released. It's a wonderful and underrated movie. Maybe the re-release will get a few more people to check it out.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Let's hope that even if it's the same transfer, that they use modern mastering techniques. Often, even with the same transfer, a new DVD will look better than one released 5-6 years ago because compression techniques have gotten better.

Ultimately, let's hope they re-did the whole she-bang and give this title the stellar transfer it deserves!

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Great story about the anagram! The price of this looks to be pretty low, so I'll probably pick this up. Great film.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I agree that the soundtrack is very good. I had heard about October Sky being an anagram of Rocket Boys, but I don't know where I read it. It could possibly have been at this forum when the DVD was first released.

T r o y

Supporting Actor
I really love this movie too. The first time I watched it I wasn't expecting too much, but was pleasantly surprised after viewing it. The acting and the story really drew you into this film. I recently sold my first copy of OS anticipating this DTS version. Looking forward to comparative review between the first and this version.

Later ON....

Troy

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Has anyone found the new release yet?

I just went to BB at lunch and after resorting to force, the employee finally went to the computer to look it up. According to his computer none of the BBs have received their copies yet. Has it been delayed, or is there just a hold-up somehwere?

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
I am having a hard time finding this too. I checked online and none of the 5 Best Buys within a 25 mile radius of my house has any in stock. Best Buy's online store also says its on backorder. I just got back from WalMart and they didnt have it either.

Is it possible this disc was delayed?

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
Unfortunately, there are no Media Plays in the Chicagoland area. I just ordered it from deepdiscountdvd. Should be here in a day or two, since I am only about an hour and a half from their warehouse! :D

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
The previous release has noticeable edge enhancement and also carries a full frame version. So there's certainly room for improvement...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks