What's new

October Apple Event (new iPhones? new iPods? iOS5 release date?) (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Usually there's an official thread in the Mac section for the big events from Apple. I don't see anything there nor here on it. What are the good live blogs today? What's happening? Speculation?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Event kicks off soon... What's new on the table? That's going to be the interesting point, a lot of things on the market for Apple to respond to - and a few to change. Will it be a 5? Or a 4S? Or Both? Sprint's $20B commitment to iPhone will have to get in the mix. What else is out there?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Ron asked me to start the thread but I couldn't 100% commit. I'm here now for the duration, give it 3 minutes then head there please!

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Follow me: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/315239/official-apple-fall-2011-keynote-announcements-and-discussion-lets-talk-iphone#post_3857285

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Engadget has a comparison.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/04/iphone-4s-vs-iphone-4-the-tale-of-the-tape/

Thoughts:

Completely underwhelming. Cards is a complete mystery.. I have no idea who came up with that. But most of the apps and items will also run on the iPhone4, so there isn't really "exclusive" incredible movement to grab a 4S. 4S might as well be "For Sprint" as far as I can tell.

The 8MP vs. 5MP brings it up to par with a ton of other phones on the market, but again, it's a phone-camera, so it's not as though it's a DSLR (despite Apple's "Better then on Flickr" comment.. which is foolish)

The other benefits are going to be hard for people to realize. If you're an iPhone4 user, there is almost no real urge to upgrade.. a better camera and a faster processor. But same screen pixel count, same size screen, same memory options, near same configuration, slightly better cameras.. and that's all.

iOS5 looks like a good upgrade, so definitely worth while again, but that will be fine on an iPhone4.. hell, apparently even a 3GS. This wasn't a gangbuster announcement, no major feature that made me say 'holy cow'. Siri is neat, but again, both Microsoft (TellMe) and Google (GV) beat it to the punch, and both of those come in more flavors of language.. and hell, Microsoft's TellMe supports abbreviated dictation cues (when trained) and GV offers tie-together, both of which are cool... and make Siri look kind of "eh". Apple offers 3 Languages for Siri.. both MS and Google offer significantly more. Plus they've done something I haven't seen Apple do a lot.. Siri is a beta product with "known issues" but it "learns" and Apple is letting people test; 4S users get the beta test while everyone else waits. I'm not sure how cool that is when again, MS and Google have finished products in that field on deck... now.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
The ability to shoot 1080P video is intriguing but otherwise it's a pass from me. I went from iPhone 3G to iPhone 4, skipping the 3GS. I think I'm gonna skip the 4S and wait the the 5.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
New shade notification, dual core processor, speech assistant, and 8MP camera with 1080p video recording? Man, Apple has beaten Android to the punch by -1 years.

Sometime next year (or as early as next month) the iPhone will be left in the technological dust by Android.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Kind of a Meh announcement in terms of the phone. I was really happy with the iOS upgrade a while back. Maybe they should of saved that for today. I had a 3G, upgraded to a 4. Looks like I'll wait for the 5 because the 4S is a not a huge upgrade for me. I wish I had one because I want the better camera, but my upgrade is elliglbe in March, so I can wait 6 months for a 5. Like already mentioned, this is not a HUGE upgrade for users of the 4. But then again, if you are buying into a 2 year contract, and you did so last year wiht the 4, then you wouldn't be eligible to upgrade now anyway. I hope they release a 5 sometime next summer, with larger screen, and everything else the consumers will want. I kind of like being on the 2 year cycle for the big upgrades, not the 2 year cycle for the S upgrades.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Tis will be the first new iPhone that we don't buy. Not enough of a difference from the iPhone 4.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Might be best if you guys were to post your thoughts in the official thread. I hate when organic threads get ut off but there's a lot of good info in that other one, if I do say so myself =)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Sam, master link provider, could you? I didn't see a official iPhone 4s thread.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Sorry, it was linked above: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/315239/official-apple-fall-2011-keynote-announcements-and-discussion-lets-talk-iphone#post_3857285

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks