What's new

Ockeghem's All Things DARK SHADOWS (w/Spoilers) (1 Viewer)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
"I believe Scott received the show as a Christmas present if memory serves."Mark,

Your memory has again served you well. :) Incidentally, I love the 1991 Revival series. And echoing what others have said, it sure would have been nice to see this one go on for much longer than it did.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Loved the 1991 remake series. The show was done very, very well. It certainlly captured the spirit of the original series very well. I too was disappointed when it got cancelled. I was really into it.

Yes, the DVD release is cropped to give it a false widescreen look. The original release VHS had an additional 15 (I believe) minutes added to the pilot episode and around 2 minutes added to the final episode. The extended pilot has a more seemless editing and scene transitions than the boradcast version which seems a bit choppy in places. Also the added scenes do tie a few things together better. I reallly don't like what was done to the DVD of the 1991 series. I'm glad I held onto my VHS set of the series.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Shows that end suddenly or with limited seasons are a tough buy. But I have a few. One of the better ones was Jericho, and I'm glad I bought it. Luckily they released graphic novels as follow ups. DS has this long history of the original series, the 2 films... books, etc. Might not be all that bad when it stops. I wish I had time to attempt fan fiction. Seems like that would be fun, once I learned enough about a show.

That is a funny thing about different actors playing the characters. I remember watching the first Dr. Who and thinking how much I wanted to get to the Tom Baker years. But after Hartnell was done I missed him so much. I'm up to Tom Baker now but I'm not watching those nowhere near as frequent as the first 2 Whos (Troughton became my fav so far, his take on the character and the storylines..I really miss first 2 doctors).

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I'm on eps 20 (Roger goes to see Burke for the first time since "the accident" ;) )... There's a scene when someone answers the phone and the shadow of some rigging, probably the boom stand/wires, appears on an actor's face, then slowly moves away and the actor doesn't miss a beat. It is kind of funny it's Dark "Shadows". :D and you can't take anything away from it because of it. I had to cut that episode in half since I ran out of lunch hour... I NEED to get back and watch the rest! warts and all!

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Tracy I have some of the Vhs tapes the first and the last and perhaps another. I also did my own taping when the show first aired like Harry. I enjoyed the show myself and there were some changes that helped move 1795 at a faster pace which did not hurt the story.

The music from the 91 series can be had in a two disc collection. I also have the Burton film music. I wish I could put down the cash for the great songs I grew up with. Like Scott stated Moody Blues love them. The music was put on a second CD.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
For the Revival series, there's one with a cover that has a face in the moon. Another with 2 characters down below and the moon above. Are they basically the same?

Nevermind, I went on ahead and ordered one. I read they are pretty much the same.

tracyedgar

Stunt Coordinator
Mark Collins said:
Yes they are and in fact Chill is playing the series right now.
Mark--you mentioned the Moody Blues--one of my all-time favorite bands! Actually, to me, one the most hauntingly beautiful moments in Johnny Depp and Tim Burton's 'DS' film is when the opening credits role and we see Vicki Winters' train making its way to Collinsport, and the whole thing is done to 'Nights in White Satin"! It was one of the things about the movie that will always stay with me. Sheer perfection. Yes, it lost its way at times and important scenes were cut, and the ending was a CGI nightmare, but for the MOST part, the movie worked for me, and had MANY moments of beauty. The opening credits with the scenery and the Moody Blues blew me away. It's RARE to even HAVE opening credits anymore! I thought this was a great nod to the films of yesteryear!

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I haven't seen the Burton/Depp film, but being a big Moody Blues fan since the 70's it would have been a nice surprise to hear Night's in White Satin that way. I have seen them in concert three times in the last 10 years, and have most of their concerts on DVD, but the one I find most interesting now is the "Threshold of a Dream: Live at the Isle of Wight Festival" concert that came out on DVD/Blu-ray in 2010. If you haven't seen it, it is a treat since it is from 1970. If you are at all like me this was my first chance to see how they performed when they were young. And it includes Michael Pinder on keyboard!

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Well I'll be... I attempted to record Nights a few months ago using the instrumental version they did. I was going to produce a music video with it to practice using video editor software many TV stations are using. that way I could put it on the resume. :) I had no idea they used that awesome tune in the movie. Very cool. Maybe the inspiration I need to restart that little project. I nearly had it, but I kept getting too tire because of all those long, powerful notes, and missing cues. My energy level bottoms out quickly on that one. I really want to get it right. I had almost decided to attempt Miranda Lambert's House that Built Me instead. I'm working on a male version of that.

Excellent official music video for the Moody Blues Nights,btw. I wish I could find one of those suits they wore in my size. :P

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
tracyedgar said:
Mark--you mentioned the Moody Blues--one of my all-time favorite bands! Actually, to me, one the most hauntingly beautiful moments in Johnny Depp and Tim Burton's 'DS' film is when the opening credits role and we see Vicki Winters' train making its way to Collinsport, and the whole thing is done to 'Nights in White Satin"! It was one of the things about the movie that will always stay with me. Sheer perfection. Yes, it lost its way at times and important scenes were cut, and the ending was a CGI nightmare, but for the MOST part, the movie worked for me, and had MANY moments of beauty. The opening credits with the scenery and the Moody Blues blew me away. It's RARE to even HAVE opening credits anymore! I thought this was a great nod to the films of yesteryear!
Tracy,

I agree wholeheartedly with regard to the juxtaposition of Victoria Winters and Nights In White Satin. It was magical. In my review of the film I wrote a paragraph or so on that particular moment of the film:

"The opening of the film (after the introduction of Barnabas, which lasts until about 8-10 minutes into the film), has 'Victoria Winters' (i.e., Maggie Evans) arriving in Collinwood on a train. This is just how it occurred in the original series, except of course it really was Victoria Winters. The music (Nights In White Satin) accompanying her train ride in as she figures out in her mind how she is going to introduce herself to the Collins family when she arrives at The Great House was quite a tear-jerker for me. Here you have my favorite television series of all-time, and this song (which concludes one of my favorite albums of all-time), accompanying Victoria as she arrives. For me, it was a staggering juxtaposition, and one which I am very thankful for having experienced. The power with which this particular scene hit me was not unlike that which I experienced the first time I heard the Dies Irae on brass during the opening of The Shining (1980)."

Full review here (post #30):

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/312997-tim-burtons-dark-shadows/page-2?hl=%2Bdark+%2Bshadows+%2Bmoody+%2Bblues#entry3815257

tracyedgar

Stunt Coordinator
Ockeghem said:
Tracy,

I agree wholeheartedly with regard to the juxtaposition of Victoria Winters and Nights In White Satin. It was magical. In my review of the film I wrote a paragraph or so on that particular moment of the film:

"The opening of the film (after the introduction of Barnabas, which lasts until about 8-10 minutes into the film), has 'Victoria Winters' (i.e., Maggie Evans) arriving in Collinwood on a train. This is just how it occurred in the original series, except of course it really was Victoria Winters. The music (Nights In White Satin) accompanying her train ride in as she figures out in her mind how she is going to introduce herself to the Collins family when she arrives at The Great House was quite a tear-jerker for me. Here you have my favorite television series of all-time, and this song (which concludes one of my favorite albums of all-time), accompanying Victoria as she arrives. For me, it was a staggering juxtaposition, and one which I am very thankful for having experienced. The power with which this particular scene hit me was not unlike that which I experienced the first time I heard the Dies Irae on brass during the opening of The Shining (1980)."

Full review here (post #30):

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/312997-tim-burtons-dark-shadows/page-2?hl=%2Bdark+%2Bshadows+%2Bmoody+%2Bblues#entry3815257
What a great review--I'm glad I wasn't the only person who was affected by that scene! The whole first 10 min with Barnabas was great, and then the credits started to roll..,and that train...and that song....magical!

By the way, the entire movie's soundtrack is great...a slice of early 1970s pop culture. I mean, when you have the Moody Blues, alongside Alice Cooper, Iggy Pop, Donovan, T. Rex, The Carpenters and Barry White, you've got a great mix!

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
noob in need... again! lol

When is it best to start watching The Revival Series? I'd rather not wait until I've watched all the original episodes since that will probably take me years. oh, I'm quite happy with that fact! :)

I had no idea the 3rd Rock from the Sun actor plays the little boy in this. Looks like good casting, even though I imagine the original kid is a better actor in his version.

Added question: In episode 24, did I just see that policeman bump into the damn camera?!!! :blink:

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I would say once you get to the April, 1968 episodes you would be fine watching the Revival series because then there will be no spoilers and everything will just be a remake. So you still have a ways to go but that would save you 3 years worth of episodes from a waiting perspective :)
Radioman970 said:
noob in need... again! lol

When is it best to start watching The Revival Series? I'd rather not wait until I've watched all the original episodes since that will probably take me years. oh, I'm quite happy with that fact! :)

I had no idea the 3rd Rock from the Sun actor plays the little boy in this. Looks like good casting, even though I imagine the original kid is a better actor in his version.

Added question: In episode 24, did I just see that policeman bump into the damn camera?!!! :blink:

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
I'm now up through Episode #1216. The lottery storyline is in full-swing. Some old faces playing new characters. Not sure what to make of Bramwell Collins. I can understand Frid wanting to play a different character, but he'll always be Barnabas to me.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Just watched Episode #1219 last night (the "lost episode"). I'm a little curious about this particular episode. Do any of the DS experts here have any background info on this one...like where did they get the audio? I just find it interesting that of all the episodes, this is the ONE that's gone missing.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I watched #65. It's like the first rehearsal. Everybody is messing up and looking off in the distance for lines. A little of that is fun, but this one is too much. Luckily, it's back to normal with #66.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
Mr. Handley said:
Just watched Episode #1219 last night (the "lost episode"). I'm a little curious about this particular episode. Do any of the DS experts here have any background info on this one...like where did they get the audio? I just find it interesting that of all the episodes, this is the ONE that's gone missing.
They got the audio from a fan. Back in the day, before VCRs were a common household tool, people (including myself) use to record their favorite TV shows on hand held audio cassette tape recorders. Just put the microphone near the TV set and press record. That way, they could play back the cassettes and listen to the audio (sort of like radio). I used to do it all the time to Bewitched reruns before I eventually could afford my own VCR.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks