What's new

Ockeghem's All Things DARK SHADOWS (w/Spoilers) (1 Viewer)

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
I'm now up through Episode #1099. I'm really enjoying the Gerard/Daphne storyline. The possession of the children has been one of the creepiest things to happen in quite some time. I've always been a Kate Jackson fan and it's great to see her so early in her career.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
I'm now up through Episode #1124. Poor Abe Vigoda...first he dies as Ezra Braithwaite and then he dies as Otis Greene! We're now back in 1840...man, that "head" sure is creepy. Only on Dark Shadows would anyone think that would make a nice "gift"!

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I had an interesting DARK SHADOWS experience yesterday. While playing with my new 60" Sony TV, I put on the blu-ray for HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS. Then I turned ON the Cinemotion control to high which gives movies a "soap-opera" effect. It all looks like its live or on videotape, which made the movie look more like the series in its feel. This technique also worked of course with NIGHT OF DARK SHADOWS and the 1991 series.

Harry

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Yep. Love that photo.

I watched DARK SHADOWS steadily back when it originally aired on ABC in the afternoons. I was led to it by my love for all things "television" at the time. In Philadelphia, we'd just gotten our first UHF TV station, and our family got its first UHF-capable TV set.

When DARK SHADOWS started up, it was not cleared by the local Philadelphia ABC station at the time. They were airing some syndicated show in that time-slot, maybe Merv Griffin. So the show was available for pickup by this new UHF station, hungry for programming from any source - so leftover ABC shows were grabbed up.

I remember that they had been airing the show that was occupying that time-slot before, WHERE THE ACTION IS. I'd tune in to that show just to see the ABC show on this newfangled UHF station. To me, it was kind of fun seeing ABC promos on this station - they didn't blank them out. And one day, that show ended and the following Monday, DARK SHADOWS began in that time slot.

I was surely not much of a soap opera fan. I liked the daytime reruns and game shows, but never looked at a soap opera. But this one, being a network show on this independent UHF channel was a fascination. So I was there, watching Victoria Winters arrive on the train - her connections in town, and her ultimate arrival at the strange Collinwood estate.

I watched the show pretty faithfully for those first months it was on the air on that UHF channel. It was like a secret obsession. I hadn't dared to tell my family that I was watching a soap opera, so there were times I couldn't watch.

Later, the Philadelphia affiliate saw the show's ratings rising nationally and were urged to carry the series in Philly, which they ultimately did. Once on the regular station, others in the family began to hear the buzz. I was able to fill them in on backstories about Burke Devlin, Matthew Morgan, Laura, and the arrival of Barnabas. We then watched the series pretty steadily through its run.

Later, in the 80's, I got to see much of the series all over again when it aired on NJN in New Jersey - and once more in the '90s when it aired on Sci-Fi.

It is those three runs - and the time devoted to them all - that have basically prevented me from much interest in the DVDs. I simply don't have the time nor desire to run through it all again, so while I'd love to own the series, its sheer size makes it impractical for me.

I have owned the LaserDisc of the two movies for years, plus the DVD set of the 1990 revival, so I get whatever DARK SHADOWS fix I need from those, especially now that I've been able to upgrade to the Blu-rays of the two movies. At first viewing, I wasn't fond of the 1990 series, but later came to appreciate the cast and what they were able to bring to the table. It's a shame it got cut short.

I refused to see the Depp movie. I didn't need a comic tribute to the series. It's fine enough the way I remember it.

Harry

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Harry love the story!! I too saw the original airings and the syndicated run of the show. Here in Chicago it ran at 3PM but on our local a one week delayed broadcast at 4:30. So as I have told Scott i viewed the show twice. I was a huge fan and grew up with the show. Bought all the tapes and dvds of the show. I even visited Collinwood in 1987. I forgot to say when the show really took off the local carried it at 3 but i could my roof top signal to point toward Milwaukee and get the show at 3:30 PM one day later or sometimes even 2 days later. This helped when i had to miss shows. We first received out syndicate run at night in 1976 in Chicago and it was only 6 months or less of the show. Even though they would show the famous clip from 1897 where Barnabas looks at Barnabas in the coffin while Edward and Quentin stand back watching in the cave.

I thought we would get it all but no chance. The show came next to Madison and I once more adjusted my signal and then they cut off the show after a year episodes. I recevied the NJN tapes from a friend who lived in the area back in the 80s.

Roy Wall

Supporting Actor
Come on Harry.....that's what I loved about the film...the theme..."FAMILY is the only REAL wealth" and the comedic ways the dyfunctional Collins family lives up to that theme.

ds-cast-website.jpg

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I just wanted to remind all DS fans that Lara Parkers new book is coming out at Amazon next month.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/076533

I forgot to tell fans that the DS The Salem Branch by Lara is a VERY good read and at a bargin price.

http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Shadows-Branch-Lara-Parker/dp/B00A18F0UQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1374528192&sr=1-1

I have not watched much DS this summer but will kick off August as I always do with Adam Tom Jennings and the experiment. Love that story line.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Just a quick note on DS books. Lara's first book is now available again at Amazon. I loved this first book very much. Must buy for any DS fan!! Return to Collinwood is now in kindle form for 2 bucks. Dreams of Darkness the other DS novel which is very good can also be purchased used at Amazon.

The real DS fans can i believe buy still the Dan Marilyn Ross 32 volume paper back set which i bought as a kid from dealers at Amazon. DS even had it's own cook book which was put out during the 1897 story. Plus a joke book photo book on Jonathan Frid and one on Werewolves and Vampires. Dan also wrote a book for House of DS. The list of special books on the series is to many to list here.

Here they are

Barnabas and Company is a good book which came out last year. My good friend Scott said it was a must buy and he was right.

http://www.amazon.com/Barnabas-Company-Cast-Classic-Shadows/dp/1475910347/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1374601278&sr=1-1&keywords=barnabas+and+company

http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Shadows-Angeliques-Lara-Parker/dp/B00A18F1DW/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1374600239&sr=1-1&keywords=angelique%27s+descent

http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Shadows-Kathryn-Leigh-Scott/dp/0938817663/ref=pd_sim_b_3

http://www.amazon.com/Dreams-Dark-Shadows-Stephen-Rainey/dp/0061057525/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1374600500&sr=1-1&keywords=dark+shadows+dreams+of+the+dark

Here are the other books I spoke of plus the last of the Dan Marilyn Ross collection book 32

http://www.amazon.com/Shadows-Cookbook-Cameron-Compiler-Malis/dp/B000EWDGZU/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1374611868&sr=1-1&keywords=the+dark+shadows+cookbook
http://www.amazon.com/House-Dark-Shadows-Marilyn-Ross/dp/B000RKLAL6/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1374612134&sr=1-
1&keywords=house+of+dark+shadows+marilyn+ross

http://www.amazon.com/Barnabas-Quentin-Vampire-Beauty-Shadows/dp/0446648248/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1374612393&sr=1-3-fkmr0&keywords=dark+shadows+the+marilyn+ross+book+set

http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Shadows-Book-Vampires-Werewolves/dp/B000GYVHIE/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1374612702&sr=1-1&keywords=dark+shadows+book+on+vampires+and+werewolves

http://www.amazon.com/Barnabas-Collins-Personal-Picture-Album/dp/B000O7SX76/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1374612807&sr=1-1&keywords=jonathan+frid+photo+album

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Check out our DS news for there are new cds on the way. I also edited the above post to include some of the books i spoke of. Try the DS Cookbook and Magda's Burgers!

http://darkshadowsnews.blogspot.com/

I forgot one other thing. The original 1 set of viewmaster slides that i bought as a kid. Great investment if you can get them. The slides cover 2 great episodes of the show from 1968 when Barnabas and Angelique meet at Blair House and Eve goes into the past.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
I am now up through Episode #1145. Judah Zachary has now taken possession of Gerard Stiles. Julia has been bitten by vampire Roxanne. Angelique has returned to cause general mayhem. All in all I'm really enjoying the 1840 storyline.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Mr. Handley said:
I am now up through Episode #1145. Judah Zachary has now taken possession of Gerard Stiles. Julia has been bitten by vampire Roxanne. Angelique has returned to cause general mayhem. All in all I'm really enjoying the 1840 storyline.
Paul,In my opinion, the 1840 storyline had the best costumes in the entire series, although I like those used for all of the time periods.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
The costumes in 1841PT were even better. The show hired someone to come in special for this last storyline of the entire series.

This weekend I restart the show with August of 1968 and carry forward while also watching 1897 with Count Petofi and Barnabas at battle. I also watch 1967 the color episodes. I love to view these 3 time periods and pick up 1970 after Labor Day where Maggie once more is attacked by a Vampire.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Hi Scott,

Have you and the kids done any DS watching of late. Looking forward to starting up again this weekend as I stated in the above post.

I always love to hear how DS is a family event in your house. Who would have thought way back when we were kids that we would own the entire show not once but twice.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Mark Collins said:
Hi Scott,

Have you and the kids done any DS watching of late. Looking forward to starting up again this weekend as I stated in the above post.

I always love to hear how DS is a family event in your house. Who would have thought way back when we were kids that we would own the entire show not once but twice.
Mark,Hi. No, I have not done very much watching of Dark Shadows lately. I've been busy with my fast, and with other projects. I also try not to watch the series without my oldest daughter, who wouldn't like it if I did. Her work schedule is somewhat hectic these days what with two jobs and with working rather late. But I'll get back to watching it again soon. And I agree, I love owning the entire series. It sure did take me quite some time to obtain it all, but I am very glad that I did! :)

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
I've had an extended break from "Dark Shadows" but I returned last night to where I had left off, which was the arrival of Cassandra and the start of the 'Dream Curse' storyline.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
The first serious review of Dark Shadows that I remember reading was in the second issue of Cinefantastique, Winter (January) 1971. This was the only professional publication that dedicated itself to serious reviews of cult and genre films. Frederick S. Clarke's review gives you an idea of the enthusiasm people had for the film at the time. House of Dark Shadows was a BIG deal in 1970 and 1971. It had legs, and kept coming back to theatrical screens, usually with a co-feature, for the next two or three years. Click on the scans to enlarge:

img152_zps6326fc99.jpg

img153_zps7d85b0eb.jpg

img154_zpse3a357c6.jpg

img155_zps14d40647.jpg
[

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
I don't think the editorial staff at Cinefantastique had heard about the footage that had been chopped out of Night of Dark Shadows when they published this review in the fifth issue, Spring 1972. Click on the scans to enlarge:

img156_zpsa2b46155.jpg

img157_zpsce0be83f.jpg

img158_zps0a62990c.jpg

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Video Watchdog #40 (July-August 1997) published Darren Gross's meticulous and comprehensive reconstruction of the missing footage from House of Dark Shadows and Night of Dark Shadows. This is a long article, nicely illustrated and neatly laid out. If you're a Dark Shadows fan, this issue is an absolute must. Here are two excerpts to wet your appetite:

img161.jpg

img159_zpsa0960333.jpg

img160_zps8085d2f6.jpg

The good news is that a limited number of copies are still available and can be bought at a low price from the journal's website:

http://www.videowatchdog.com/home/home.html

Video Watchdog is a superb journal by the way, boasting the most astute and well-informed writing on genre and cult films. It is also a valuable reference, and as time goes by, back issues become invaluable as a reference tool. All serious film enthusiasts and many filmmakers subscribe to it. I recommend it.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Richard,Many, many thanks for the clippings and reviews. I've saved the images in folders. I haven't read all of those before, and I certainly haven't read them in those particular publications. One of them reminded me somewhat of a review I read of Cleveland Amory -- perhaps it was his review of the show from a 1969 issue of TV Guide. Great stuff for sure. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks