What's new

Ockeghem's All Things DARK SHADOWS (w/Spoilers) (1 Viewer)

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Many thanks, Mark.
I bought the first four VHS tapes and I'll probably buy the rest.
Love the pilot film, which was directed by Dan Curtis himself.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Richard-W, I added my two cents to the thread. Like you, I feel that the DVD/Blu-Ray is the only version that we are ever going to get.

GeorgeJA

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
George Agnos
Ok, I found a rarity - some actual intentional humor in a Dark Shadows scene:
It's episode 501 - where Adam escapes to Collinwood and surprises Carolyn and Elizabeth. He blurts out the word 'music' and Carolyn turns on the radio in hope of calming him down. The radio plays some really cheesy 60's music and Adam, who's only been exposed to Mozart, grimaces and knocks the radio away crying "Not Music!" I had to laugh at this, and it was amazing that they put this in during what was generally a tense scene.
Adam - He may be a beast - he may be a man-child, but dammit, he knows good music when he hears it!

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I received this recently from Stuart Manning. I'm posting it here in case anyone is planning on going. :)
http://www.collinwood.net - Dark Shadows Journal Online
Dear Dark Shadows fans
* 2013 Dark Shadows Cruise Details Released
The Dark Shadows Festival have released more information about their 2013 Dark Shadows Halloween Cruise, which will take place on October 27-November 3 2013, departing from New Jersey's Cape Liberty Cruise Port for Bermuda, with special guests Lara Parker (Angelique) and Kathryn Leigh Scott (Maggie Evans).
For more details, along with pricing and booking information, visit the Dark Shadows News Page blog at http://darkshadowsnews.blogspot.com
* We're on Facebook!
If you're on Facebook, you can now keep up with all the latest Dark Shadows developments via our newly-launched Dark Shadows News Page, featuring headline breaking news, daily trivia, photos and more. To visit and like our, visit http://www.facebook.com/darkshadowsnews
Cheers
Stuart
------
Visit the Dark Shadows Journal Online:
http://www.collinwood.net
Follow us on Twitter:
http://www.twitter.com/darkshadowsnews
Order the new book Dark Shadows: Return to Collinwood and support the site:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0938817663/darkshadowsjourn

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Powell&Pressburger said:
Not sure how interested any of you are in the NON Limited Edition Coffin Box Set, but it looks like the it will be a lighting deal in about 5-6 hours. Curious what the pricing will be. (Scroll thru the listings for Dark Shadows and other upcoming deals)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/gss/detail/512430/?tag=bluray-038-20&gbld.category=2625373011&gbld.dealID=A3OH5HBEWDCJXW&gbld.state=availablehttp://www.assoc-amazon.com/e/ir?t=hometheaterforum-20&l=ur2&o=1
According to the Amazon 'calendar', it will go on sale at 12:20 PST for $299.99.
Now some Lightning Deals have lasted the entire time (4 hours), but there have been many that sold out in less than a minute.
David

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Hi Scott, I heard another reference to Christmas from Maggie to Laura in 1966. " Roger Collins will give the best imitation of Scrooge this Christmas" and of course the end credits from our sponsers we want to wish you a very happy holiday season. I am now fast forward to December 5th 1969 where Barnabas does that great confrontation with Paul Stoddard in the Blue Whale. I shall watch that this weekend with 1795 Joshua and the cat which I call Dark Shadows does Bewitched. I wonder why they never went that far again. I then move on to in episode order Laura which I suspend during the the last 2 weeks of the month to catch up on christmas viewing.

handley

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
I am now up through Episode #926. Angelique is back (again!) as the wife of Sky Rumsen. Michael is causing all kinds of havoc as the Leviathan storyline progresses. Also, "Mr. Best" has come to visit Amanda Harris. This has all been more entertaining than I had assumed going in.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Paul,
It has been many years since I have seen the entire Leviathan storyline. You're about 120 episodes ahead of me at this point (or in other words, one weekend's worth of Dark Shadows viewing for me).
;)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Mark Collins said:
Hi Scott, I heard another reference to Christmas from Maggie to Laura in 1966. " Roger Collins will give the best imitation of Scrooge this Christmas" and of course the end credits from our sponsers we want to wish you a very happy holiday season. I am now fast forward to December 5th 1969 where Barnabas does that great confrontation with Paul Stoddard in the Blue Whale. I shall watch that this weekend with 1795 Joshua and the cat which I call Dark Shadows does Bewitched. I wonder why they never went that far again. I then move on to in episode order Laura which I suspend during the the last 2 weeks of the month to catch up on christmas viewing.
Mark,
I recall that line of Maggie's to Laura. That is one of my favorite seasons of Dark Shadows, as you know.
I am looking forward to the confrontation between Barnabas and Paul Stoddard. And of course, having it take place within the glorious Blue Whale is icing on the cake. I love all of the scenes that took place on that set. :)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I finally returned to some viewing of Dark Shadows over the weekend. It's been difficult finding time to watch the show given my eldest daughter's school and work schedule.
We're currently up through episode #766 -- the ghost of Dorcas Trilling. That's not a name I remembered when I was thinking of people that had been attacked.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Scott I just finished reading what Russ had to say on the Mannix thread. Please take a look. I think only you and I who post here not the millions of other fans who never do can appreciate this Russ guys post. Why?? How long did we wait to see year one of Dark Shadows or for that matter 1840 or 1995. I just had a happy feeling for that guy because I remember picking up those first tapes each month at Suncoast Video. You know a story is coming with me so here goes.
I traveled to Carlsbad CA for many many years at Christmas. The once a month release of DS would happen while I was gone. Year one was going strong and Laura had retruned on the last tape i received. Scott you know how I feel about Laura. I would be in warm sun but my tapes would be in the cold Chicago winter waiting for my return.
I called the company because I was getting the tapes now mailed to me direct.
I wonder if i should print the rest of this. Oh heck it was back in 1994 I think. I called the company up and explained. They told me "How would you like your order now" I was at work and screamed into the phone YES. I received them within two days. I did a fast viewing and left for my trip.
I know how dreadful. LOL

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
I remember Dorcas: Gail Strickland played her! She was the snide, stuck-up schoolteacher at Worthington Hall who snitched on Rachel Drummond to Gregory Trask. It looked like she would've done anything to get in good with Trask- wonder if Minerva had suspiciouns? I was quite pleased to see her get mauled by the werewolf- perfect karma for such a vicious person!

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Dark Shadows fans who may not have hit the news blog of late check it out.
http://darkshadowsnews.blogspot.com

GeorgeJA

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
George Agnos
Thanks Mark - nice shot of Virginia Vestoff.
I finished episode 540 -- these 1968 episodes are quite fast moving - they throw a lot at us. I didn't even remember the bit about Maggie and Josette's earrings, and I was amused by the BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN homage with the blind Sam Evans and Adam.
However, my favorite scenes seem to involve Cassandra. For me, the best part of the dream curse is when Professor Stokes asserts himself in the dream and starts taunting her. Also, we have the Ghost of Trask as an unlikely good guy almost defeating her. But best of all, the appearance of Nicholas Blair and the way he gets under her skin always puts a smile on my face. This is such a contrast to how she kept getting the upper hand on everybody in 1795.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Scott, sent me a message on a question that I thought other fans of the show might like to know about. Good time since we are snow and wind free and mall and traffic I just do not like. Scott the answer to your question about Vicky in the Old House tied up by Matthew. She only saw Josette not the Widows. The only other person to see and hear the Widows was Liz in 1967 when she was going to take her life. Vicky heard the moaning of the Widows with Roger in 1966 and then again in 1967 with Burke just before he left Collinwood and it was one of those kinescope espisodes you like. I am not sure but I do believe they are listed with all the actors such as the Blue Whale non speaking actors. I also thought how they explained Josette's ghost in 1795 flashback was fun. Josette appeared to David Laura Vicky Matthew Wille Julia and Barnabas of course.
Scott and I also spoke of Laura's death. I always enjoyed Diana Millays gasp as the one beam comes down in the shack. Diana took a trip to Egypt for her Sons Birthday and some fans as well. She explains this on her VHS interview. Her Son used to attend the festivals with her in New York in the early days. Oh way back in the early 80s I believe. The festivals would auction off DS items dress om costume contests and watch early episodes from the show mostly year. The stars would also be there.
Happy Holidays to all DS Fans and those on the forum.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Mark,
That is very interesting. Thank you for your insights. I often watch carefully for whom is listed in the credits, and especially so when there are a lot of extras in a particular episode. I watched carefully recently to see if Victoria saw the widows as I really wasn't sure if she had or not. I knew that you would know.
Tonight we watched episodes nos. 767 and 768. David's birthday party in Jamison's dream was a bit morbid. I don't remember ever seeing that before tonight. So was this a jump to the future in the dream? I found it a very interesting scene, and having Quentin there was a nice touch. When they cut away from the birthday table a few times and we (everyone but David) could not see Quentin at the table, I found that to be very effective. And Carolyn was quite nasty, which I would not have expected given that it was David's party. But then again, it was only a dream.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
HI Scott,
Yes this is a jump to 1969 which aired late May of 1897. I love this episode because this is the entire storyline for the what most fans call the second half of 1897. The story provides 3 clues for Quentins death which of course is to happen on September 10th 1897. The show jumps forward again much later when Petofi shows Barnabas a clip from the future with just Julia and David in it which aired in late July 1897. The next jump to the future happens in that great letter Barnabas writes to Julia on the 5th day of September 1897 and which Amy finds in 1969. The letter leads to Julia going back in time to save Barnabas and Quentin whose death is but a few days away and Barnabas death just hours away.
I wanted to add about Laura. The cottage door is never used again until Chris moves into the cottage in 1969. Great episode here too. David and Amy speak of Matthew and Maggie tells Mrs Johnson to clean the cottage. She states to Maggie that nothing ever good happened down there when Matthew was alive and nothing good after he died. I like the last part because Mrs J is speaking of Laura. I remember jumping up as a kid saying Laura is coming back. The fireplace is used in 1795 and In Elliot Stokes house. The cottage was not spoke of from 1967 until the above episode i spoke of in 1969. Just like the secret door in the drawing room Collinwood which Roger used in the fall of 66 and then used by Amy and David in the fall of 68. Same with the Old house secret room not used from 1966 until once in 1796 and then brought back in 1897.
I also like in 1795 how they keep Matthew's back to Vicky and then he turns to greet her and of course it is Ben but Vicky thinks it is Matthew. Nice touch
Happy Holidays to all!!!!!!!!!

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Hi Scott,
Here is another interesting fact. 1897 was the only flashback that had flash forwards in it. The last was Count Petofi as Quentin visits Collinwood in 1969. Great episode which is featured with two other episodes with commercials on VHS collectors tape number 54. 1795-96 holds the record for flashbacks from the future in just single episodes. PT 1970 does a few clips of Collinwood 1970 after Barnabas has entered PT 1970.
I will be watching tonight the last of the 3 epsiodes from VHS 54. The episode which Jonathan Frid Christmas week of 1969 spoke of on the Tonight Show before it even aired!!!!!!!!!!
He told Fans Evil Barnabas in 1969 would be going back to himself in the next show. The writers would use Julia to turn the show around.
DS Fans and the forum fans have a Healthy Happy Holiday Season

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks