Occasional "snow"

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by LEAFguy, Sep 27, 2010.

1. LEAFguy

LEAFguy Auditioning

I get occasional "snow" via HDMI connected components. I can still hear audio with "snow" on the screen. My components are as follows:

I have a Scientific Atlanta cable box/dvr > Yamaha RX-V463 > Panasonic C50FD18A (costco 50" plasma).

Lg BD390 > Yamaha RX-V463 > C50

I also have a Wii plugged directly into the television. Interestingly, I get no snow when viewing the Wii. My suspicion is that it is an issue with the receiver. Has anyone experienced this? Any idea what could be causing it?

Thanks

2. LEAFguy

LEAFguy Auditioning

So... I take it no one here has experienced anything like this. Thanks for looking.

3. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Have you swapped HDMI cables to eliminate them as the problem?

4. LEAFguy

LEAFguy Auditioning

Thanks for the reply Robert. Yes I have. I started out with generic cables that I got from Frys electronics, and since bought some from Blue Jeans Cable. The snow does not overlay the video (ghost image). All we see is static. Usually cycling power on all components clears it up, but sometimes this needs to be done more than once. I just have never seen this happen to anyone else, and was curious about its occurrence. I suppose it could be the television, but as I said in my first post, it hasn't happened with the Wii direct into the tv, so I suspect the receiver.

5. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Sounds like it is the receiver. Do you have other HDMI components that you can run through the receiver? Do you have access to another receiver with HDMI capability?

6. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Try connecting the HDMI sources directly to the set, bypassing the receiver, to see if the receiver is the cause of the problem.

7. LEAFguy

LEAFguy Auditioning

Sometimes the obvious solution is so obvious that we miss it. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a shot.

8. Bruce100

Bruce100 Auditioning

A kind of the great post of the forums