What's new

Observations after baseball's first full week (1 Viewer)

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
TV coverage for the Jays is at an all-time low this year. Of our first eight, four have already not been televised at all (the second Yankees game, Friday vs. the Twins, last night and tonight's game against the Red Sox). To compound this, games without TV coverage are also not on local Toronto radio! Yeah, if you have a decent antenna you can pick up a Kitchener station that's carrying the game, but me on the train with my little radio? Nope.

The big question is WHY? I can see maybe not broadcasting some home games in an effort to lure the crowd down to the stadium, but away games??

Well, here's your answer: the Toronto Raptors. The Blue Jays are owned by Rogers, who own the TV network Sportsnet. Sportsnet, of course, pick up the TV contract, since really no one else is interested because the ratings are fairly low. That's what a strike followed by eight years of losing does to you.

Anyhow, Sportsnet also has the Raptors TV contract, and AM590, the station that broadcasts the Jays on radio, also has the Raptors contract, and even though the Raps are totally out of contention and sucking it up (they lost to the Heat last night, for crying out loud), they are still apparently a better ratings draw than the Jays.

Since I have a Season's Pass, I'm not so concerned about the home games not being televised. Hell, tonight I'm working late, but my train comes in to Union Station at 9:00, so I'll go catch the last hour of the game before I catch the subway home. But lack of radio bugs me -- I'd rather listen to the start of the game on the way in. And not televising away games is just plain silly. Was no other station interested in these games? Last night was a really fantastic game, and it saddens me to think that only 13,000 Toronto fans saw our first home win this season (that's what the attendance was...ick).

I'm trying to think of something to put on a sign to convey my support for the Jays, to make them feel appreciated for the effort they're putting up despite no crowds and no TV coverage. Suggestions?

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Nope, even outside the area, they are on the UPN/CBS...even here in Connecticut.
Huh... Is it a local UPN station, or Boston's 38 (which briefly flirted with "superstation" status and is still on a few out-of-area cable systems)? I just wonder because I have a brother who works at the UPN and WB (formerly Fox) stations in Portland, ME, and he told me that there wasn't a broadcast package to pick up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks