What's new

Obscure TV western shows. (1 Viewer)

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer
Here is one that many of us want to see, "Two Faces West", starring Charles Bateman as twin brothers, one a doctor, and the other, a gunfighter. The series was a first-run syndicated entry in the 1960-61 season from Screen Gems, but maybe Timeless could give it a shot by licensing the rights from Sony to get this set out, what do you think of that?

mark78

Agent
Real Name
Mark
I'd like to see "Dirty Sally" (CBS, 1974) starring Jeanette Nolan and Dack Rambo.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
The Road West, one of the rarest shows of the 60s. No episodes have ever turned up anywhere, to the best of my knowledge. Since its a Universal western, it will no doubt be on Timeless' radar at some point. Provided there are any prints or tapes accessible.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
"Young Maverick" with Charles Frank and Susan Blanchard. Only 8 episodes or so. Several only shown once, would love to see them again.

I, too, would love to see Dirty Sally.

James

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
I had forgotten all about Dirty Sally - a spinoff of GUNSMOKE. I remember watching the show as a kid. It was pretty good. Probably would be worth picking up for the novelty, if nothing else.

YOUNG MAVERICK, along with BRET MAVERICK, would be welcomed releases.

ANd add to that NICHOLS, another one season Garner western.

S

silverking

All good calls - I would love to see 'Gunslinger' a short lived 12 episode series produced by Charles Marquis Warren starring Tony Young as 'Cord' . a gunfighter attached to the US cavalry.

Others to consider ' Man Without a Gun (Rex Reason) , Klondike (Ralph Taegar & James Coburn a made by Ziv series,) Jefferson Drum, Union Pacific (Jeff Morrow),Man from Blackhawk, Legend of Jesse James, Gray Ghost (civil war western) Dundee & Culhane (John Mills), Boots & Saddles . Hotel De Paree , Barbary Coast (William Shatner & Doug McClure)- the list seems endless. Most unlikely to ever see the light of day sadly.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by silverking

All good calls - I would love to see 'Gunslinger' a short lived 12 episode series produced by Charles Marquis Warren starring Tony Young as 'Cord' . a gunfighter attached to the US cavalry.

Others to consider ' Man Without a Gun (Rex Reason) , Klondike (Ralph Taegar & James Coburn a made by Ziv series,) Jefferson Drum, Union Pacific (Jeff Morrow),Man from Blackhawk, Legend of Jesse James, Gray Ghost (civil war western) Dundee & Culhane (John Mills), Boots & Saddles . Hotel De Paree , Barbary Coast (William Shatner & Doug McClure)- the list seems endless. Most unlikely to ever see the light of day sadly.

Timeless had been trying to get Gunslinger out of CBS for a number of years and just kept running into dead ends. For whatever reason, CBS was willing to license shows to them that were news/documentary, like the World War 1 series that aired in prime time, but not actual dramatic series. Most of your list is made up of shows now owned by CBS, so unless they either start to license out (unlikely) or get on board with Burn on Demand, I don't think we'll see many of those shows. You can also add The Rebel to the list of shows that they currently control as well.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
Ah, I'd been curious as to who owns "The Rebel." I frankly thought it was one item that had a fair chance of making it on to dvd by now. Especially as it has circulated somewhat in recent times. I saw it in local syndication in the 80s, and it was on Encore Westerns in the mid-90s, looking pretty nice. But, if it's part of CBS' massive catalog, it's no wonder it's never made it to the forefront. I guess it will remain buried for a long time to come, unfortunately.

rdimucci

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert DiMucci
"Trackdown" was a Four Star production, which should now be part of 20th Century Fox. "Yancy Derringer" was a Desilu production and should be at Paramount.

michael_ks

Screenwriter
Ah, I'd been curious as to who owns "The Rebel." I frankly thought it was one item that had a fair chance of making it on to dvd by now.
Yes, I've also believed "The Rebel" had the best chance among the less well known westerns of making it to DVD for the reasons you stated and for all the accolades it has received on various internet sites. I managed to watch the first three episodes online (hulu, I believe) and knew I had purchase the series if it ever came out. Nick Adams just seamlessly fits into the Johnny Yuma role, IMO.

I don't think "The Alaskans", "The Dakotas", "The Californians", "Stagecoach West", "The Westerner", "Overland Trail", or "Witchita Town" have been mentioned, but I'd love to see these. One show that had a decent run, but still falls under the obscure western group would have to be "Outlaws"

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Originally Posted by Richard Villafana

I don't think "The Alaskans", "The Dakotas", "The Californians", "Stagecoach West", "The Westerner", "Overland Trail", or "Witchita Town" have been mentioned, but I'd love to see these. One show that had a decent run, but still falls under the obscure western group would have to be "Outlaws"
Does "The Alaskans" count as a western? :)

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
Originally Posted by Richard Villafana

The only "Outlaws" that I remember is the shotlived series from 1986 where a group of cowboys from 1899 get thrown into 1980s and become detectives. I loved that series. Are you thinking of a different series?

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
He's referring to the 2-season show which ran on NBC 1960-62 called just Outlaws. The first season of the show is great because it had the unique premise of telling the story from the bad guys perspective as opposed to the lawmen. I was able to pick them up when they ran on FoxNet in the early 90s.

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
Originally Posted by Neil Brock

He's referring to the 2-season show which ran on NBC 1960-62 called just Outlaws. The first season of the show is great because it had the unique premise of telling the story from the bad guys perspective as opposed to the lawmen. I was able to pick them up when they ran on FoxNet in the early 90s.
I do not remember that show at all. I do remember the 80s show by that name. Oh well. Must not have ever watched the 60s version.

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer
I've seen 8 Outlaws episodes in a 4-VHS tape collection that I still have today. If you check the Mill Creek Entertainment catalog, you'll find a couple of episodes in one of their massive TV wetsterns collections. Oh by the way, that series was produced and owned by NBC, just like Bonanza. Earlier episodes were filmed at MGM in season 1, the later episodes of season 1 and all of season 2 were shot at Paramount. Could it be that CBS owns that series today?

mustang

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
patrick
I Would Love To See The Tales Of The Texas Rangers Brought Out On DVD,I Am Not Sure This Show Would Be Classed As Obscure As The Fraudsters Are Selling It,But Loved The Show In My Younger Days And Would Love To See It Again.I Think Sony May Have The Rights So Their May Be Some Hope.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Since I haven't chimed in on this thread yet, let me just say you guys have named a bunch of great westerns. I'd love to see just about everything that has been listed here. My understanding is that we'd have already seen TRACKDOWN, but some silly legal issues have held it up.

In addition to the many great shows mentioned, I wouldn't mind seeing official season sets of BLACK SADDLE, BRANDED (done correctly), CIRCUS BOY, ELFEGO BACA & SWAMP FOX (maybe not a western, but close enough), WIDE COUNTRY, LONE RANGER (S3-5), and for something a little more recent GUNS OF PARADISE.

BTW, is HEC RAMSEY still coming? I really hope so.

Gary "so many westerns, so little time" O.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks