What's new

Oblivion - including The Shivering Isles (1 Viewer)

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member

As she did in Morrowind.

BTW, Out of curiosity I picked up a copy of Morrowind the other day (PC version since the console version is not upwardly compatible with the XBox 360) and I can see where the "roots" of Oblivion like. Another great game (although I can see that the graphics are showing their age a bit because the game is 4+ years old at this point.) One thing for sure: Any Morrowind fans will be absolutely thrilled with Oblivion since it takes the genre to the next level. I can't wait for Elder Scrolls V, but I can live with the additional content for now that seems to be coming out on a somewhat regular basis.

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
Glad to see people are still talking about and playing Oblivion. I only get an hour or two every other week or so to play games, so I'll probably be at Oblivion forever.

I played for about 90 minutes last night. I didn't feel like continuing any of my current active quests, so I just went wandering in "uncharted" areas, and looted every ruin/cave/fort/mine I could find. I walked out of one fort 8,000 gold richer in money and goods. Not bad for 20 minutes work...

I've heard complaints that "you seen one cave, you seen 'em all," but honestly, I never get tired of picking off baddies, regardless of the sameness of the decor.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
at least early on in the game, those places are the only way to get good weapons/armour.

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
I love the little side caves, ruined castles, and so on. It is what makes the game tick. I played partially through as a fighter-centered character a while back but stopped and recently re-started as a new one. I wanted to see if I could play a less combative thief with magic as a second focus. Definitely trickier since I am wearing the lightest of armor and going barefoot much of the time to improve the sneaking. It is fun and challenging, that is for sure.

I love stumbling onto stuff. While heading out to play the boring sounding Nirnroot quest, I stumbled on a passle of vampires (which I was no match for but killed a few as I ran). This running lead me to a dead town that wasn't on the map. The place was kind of in ruins but I could enter places and it looked lived in but empty. I snuck around, stole some stuff and kept waiting for it to be a den of vamps or something but instead I found a subbasement filled with the town people who yelled "outsider!" at first sight and charged. Again, as a lover (and thief) and not a fighter I ran, killing a couple in retreat. I can't wait to go back later to check it out, though. Very twilight zone-ish. What was odd was that during the day some folks came out but they didn't seem to like me much. Odd. I am sure there is a deeper story in there and if there isn't, my mind has made enough of it on its own.

Too cool.

Anyone download any of the extra material? Worth it? Not worth it? Horse armor would be off the plate but some of the other content looks neat. Any hope of them offering them for free at some point (like they did with Halo 2 Maps)?

HarryEV

Auditioning
The way I understand it is. The Vile Lair is for vampire/thief characters. It has a pool to instantly cure you of vampirism, a servant who will go out and kill innocents to give you a +1 to infamy as well as gold and some goods.
The Wizards Tower is for mages and is has a enchanting altar and spellmaker altar like you find in the arcane university in imperial city. As well the wizards towers has a altar to summon ether a fire/ice/storm atronoch to follow you around in the world. I find the storage area in the wizards tower is huge and seems that it has limitless storage room. You also have teleports to all of the mages guides in each of their respectable towns.
The Thieves den is for the thiefs obviously and when you buy all of the furnishings you get a crew of pirates who will go out and loot for you once a week and share the profits ranging from 1k to 4k depending on your level. Mixed in with the pirates is also some master trainers and people to barter with.
I have no experience with the orrey but what I have heard from other gamers is that its not worth the price. To little to do as far as quest stuff and the powers that the orrey grants are weak according to others.
I have the Wizards tower, Vile Lair, and the Thieves den. In order of importance to me Wizards Tower, Thieves den, and Vile Lair. Supposedly Bethesda will release another download for warrior types buy who knows when that will be. The total amount of points for those three downloads is 450. I almost forgot Mezrunes Razor. It is a very long quest (it took me three in game days to get through it) the actual Mehrunes razor you get at the end is weak but there is something like 20 new enchanted gear like weapons,clothes, and armor that I think it is definitely worth and don't forget about the Morg Tong assassin. The Mehrunes razor download is 350 microsoft points. Good luck and have fun.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
question:

once you finish the fighters guild quests, you're supposed to get stuff every month. do you go pick it up? do you have to talk to someone?

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
After the first of every month you need to go to the Chorral’s Fighters Guild Hall and pick up your loot from the Chest on the third floor.

You did give your orders to Oreyn didn't you?

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Ok I have a question about the download extras.

Can you archive the content in case your HD crashes? Or if you have a character that in living in a world that has all of the extra content will the content simply be there if you save to a memory stick and move to another 360?

Thanks in advance.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Ok I read up on this and answered my own questions.

You can save it to a memory stick and archive that way. You can also download it again any time if you had to replace the 360.

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
Anyone still playing Oblivion?

I'm guessing this game will take me the rest of my life to complete, since I only play an hour or two a week (at best).

I tried out some "mods" a few weeks ago, just for laughs. I'm most impressed with a mod called "Catsuits," which allow my character to run around in a skin-tight latex rig closely modeled on Kate Beckinsale's get-up in the "Underworld" films. It's especially fun when encountering vampires...

I haven't bothered with the main quest for months, instead, I'm just walking around the countryside, taking in the sights, wandering into the many caves and forts and slaughtering everything I see (and closing the occasional Oblivion gate).

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
With all the other great games coming out now and in the future, I've finally put Oblivion on the back burner for now. In the XBox360 version I've completed just about everything (main quest, all guilds, mods, etc.) and now I have about 1 million coins so I'm essentially invincible without the "luxury" of the PC "god" mode. So I occasionally wander around to find untapped (or replenished) caves, crypts, etc. The rich get richer. ;)

The good news is that The Knights of the Nine plug-in for Oblivion will debut around 11/21. Looks like the biggest mod yet and will probably cost you 800 MS points whenever it migrates from the PC to the XBox360. Some info here.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Is there any news for an Expansion Set yet? I've played the game alot and beaten it a few times with perhaps three different characters and I have the feeling I just want to go out and explore everywhere. The game is so immersive and damn fun. All I can say is, can I have more?:D:emoji_thumbsup:

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member

Highly recommended for veteran players.

:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Incidentally, if you play the PC version you can purchase the "Knights of the Nine" supplementary disc for $19.99. This includes not only the new adventure, but all of the earlier add-ons (there were seven of them - many of them very interesting and a couple of duds like "Horse Armor). At under $20, it's still quite a nice supplement.

James Ryfun

Stunt Coordinator
I know it's been awhile, but I started my game up again over the weekend, and played for about 28 more hours. But what's really prompted me to post is the announcement of the Shivering isles expansion pack due later this year. I'm sure many know of this already, but I thought worth mentioning here.

What makes this different from other download content from the past, is this expansion literally expands the world into another realm. An almost "Alice in Wonderland" type setting with enormous mushrooms littering the landscape. More exciting is the notion that this expansion is said to add roughly 30 more hours to the game, so it's not going to be small.

I personally can't wait for it.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member

Exactly my sentiments! This major expansion of the Oblivion world promises to dwarf all previous expansions and I'm looking forward to it. The previews in magazines and on the 'net look spectacular. More of the same, but from a completely different perspective.

:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Bethesda has just announced that the Shivering Isles expansion pack for Oblivion (30 hours+ of new gaming, etc.) will become available on March 27th for both the XBOX360 (XBox Live at 2400 points=$30) and in a PC version in the stores (also $30). I can't wait!

Supposedly the PS3 version of Oblivion debuts on March 20th (I'm not sure if that date is firm). No word yet what, if any, expansion packs will be included and/or available in the PS3 version.

MandyHan

Stunt Coordinator
Shivering Isles looks awesome. The environments look much more interesting than the original game.

I'll definitely start playing that once I finish Jade Empire Special Edition on pc (which I'm loving.), so it might be awhile, because like the first time I played Jade, I think I'm going to want to play through several times based on the decisions you make in the game.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I've played my way through the main thread of Shivering Isles (all 250 achievement points) and must say that it makes a great game even better. Lots of new locations, weapons and opponents. And some very funny storylines.

If you are a fan of Oblivion you owe it to yourself to add the Shivering Isles expansion pack to your playbook. Bethesda has done it again!

Two big :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks