What's new

Objective Burma-any reviews? (1 Viewer)

steve blake

Stunt Coordinator
objective burma is released on the 13th ,and i was wondering if anyone knew if there was any reviews anywhere?its about time errol had some decent releases on dvd,and at long last it seems we are going to get some.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
A good looking transfer; long version of the film; with Errol Flynn and James Wong Howe, how can you go wrong?

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
I was looking forward to seeing it on dvd as well - considering that the laserdisc version I had previously kept an eye out for on ebay was seldom offered and sold for prices that made it difficult- at least for myself - to bid on. So yes it is great news to see it finally arrive!(As a matter of fact it is apparently avaiable now locally - but I spent my allowable allotment so will have to wait) I really think it was one of Errol Flynn's best acting roles and the movie itself did not seek to glorify the war. A very interesting character study that reinforces the need to have many other classic films released to dvd. It is a perfect example of the lost art of film making and why there are so very few made these days that are worthy - most unfortunately are mere shadows of those of the past. It also looks like the month of May will have the largest number of titles released that I am keenly anticipating since starting the collecting of dvds - about 2 years for myself. In fact this year is simply gratifying in terms of output from the various Studios. I take my hat off to Warner Bros., MGM , Fox, Universal, Columbia TriStar ( enjoyed King Rat ), and Disney. Keep them coming!! :) :) :)

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
I was wondering the same thing today, since I had planned to write about it on Tuesday (May 13), its release date. I got a note back from Warner Home Video saying they didn't have copies yet and that it was late coming to them. That might explain why you haven't seen reviews yet (and why I'll have to bypass it next week :frowning: ).

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
I wonder what I was seeing (on their website) - if what Randy is saying is true about the release date perhaps there was a mistake by the local retailer here. I will have to look into that and verify if they actually have any copies available.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
I wonder what I was seeing (on their website) - if what Randy is saying is true about the release date perhaps there was a mistake by the local retailer here.
To clarify, the release date hasn't changed. I was just explaining why you haven't seen reviews yet. The usual process that leads to pre-release reviews is running behind, because the Warner PR department has not recieved its copies. The DVD should still be in some stores Tuesday.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I received my dvd copy today and will watch it tonight then post my thoughts about it tomorrow morning. I've must have seen this film at least 30 times in my lifetime so hopefully it will be a pleasure to watch it on the dvd format.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

As RAH stated, how can you go wrong?:D

Again, Warner does another great job with this dvd presentation. I've never seen the film look as good as it does on this dvd. The dvd also contains two 20 minute shorts that were obviously made to strike our patriotic cord back in 1945. One of them is "The Tanks are Coming" starring George Tobias who also starred in "Objective Burma". An added bonus is that this short was filmed in technicolor and it looks gorgeous. The theatrical trailer is on the dvd too along with a Raoul Walsh profile of the war films he directed.

Anybody that is a fan of this film should pick up this dvd right away.

I also received the dvd copy of "Operation Pacific" starring John Wayne, Patricia O'Neal, and Ward Bond that I will watch later today and post my thoughts about it's dvd presentation.

Crawdaddy

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
I haven't seen this DVD yet, but look forward to purchasing it on Tuesday. One of Errol Flynn's best films, and members' comments about the great new transfer are all the more exciting.

As an FYI to Mr. Crawford's comment: THE TANKS ARE COMING was somewhat famous in its day, having received an Oscar nomination for Best Short Subject.

I think it's terrfic that Warner has started adding vintage short subjects to their releases.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
how can you go wrong?
Well, it is a *deeply* offensive movie for a lot of Brits of a particular generation, and when it was originally released, there were serious attempts to have it banned in the UK. The reason is that the Brumese campaign almost solely involved British and Commonwealth troops, and this movie portrayed it as an American effort. I realise that a lot of you American folks will find this hard to appreciate, but it's not British stuck-up pride. Imagine e.g. that a UK company made a film in 1945 in which the retaking of the Phillipines was portrayed as a Brit effort. You'll then get some idea of why this movie caused offence.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Well, I've been waiting for a Brit to showup and speak against this film, but this isn't the thread to discuss that issue. If you want to discuss it further then start another thread in Movies where we can properly discuss it.

Crawdaddy

Brad Vautrinot

Stunt Coordinator
I watched Objective Burma last night and it was more than I ever hoped for - a beautiful transfer, excellent extras, clean soundtrack, etc. No complaints at all about this release and hope that the other studios follow suit.

I did have a couple of questions about the movie, though. I noticed that in several scenes, Errol Flynn was carrying a folding-stock M-2 carbine throughout most of the movie. Interestingly, in some of the scenes where it would cut to a different angle, he was shown carrying a 1928 Thompson w/o the clip in what seems to be an attempt to disguise the fact that the carbine wasn't available which doesn't make sense since the scene was in the same time frame. Also, I noticed that all the Thompsons were non-firing replicas (bolt was always in the closed/forward position, no ejector port, etc.) except for the few scenes where they were firing real ones for the scene. The light .30 cal mg's were like nothing ever seen in the US military arsenal.

I don't know where the movie was filmed (perhaps in a country where full auto weapons are outlawed) but was wondering if anyone has any answers to the above anomalies. Someone said this was the long version so were the Flynn gun swapping scenes added in later, thus the change in arms?

I'm just curious about this and not at all denigrating this movie which I really like and have anticipated coming to DVD for a long time.

TimJS

Second Unit
Any B&Ms carrying this title? How about Battle Cry or Commandos Strike At Dawn ?

Tim

Richard Carnahan

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know where the movie was filmed (perhaps in a country where full auto weapons are outlawed) but was wondering if anyone has any answers to the above anomalies.
Most of the exteriors were photographed at the Los Angeles County Arboretum in Arcadia, Ca.
http://www.arboretum.org/

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
http://www.r2-dvd.org/article.jsp?se...articleId=5636

this dvd will also be released in the UK on July 21 as part of a 3 www II movie pack together with Battle Cry & John Wayne's Operation Pacific

The special features for Objective Burma are

Special Features - 2 classic Warner Bros. wartime shorts & Theatrical Trailer
£12.99 RRP, Black & white, Cert PG, 135 mins, Mono Soundtrack, Aspect Ratio 1.33:1

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks