What's new

Obessesed about dvd...(or how I wish I had some patience)... (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I was reading about all of the Black Friday sales. And I was thinking about what I spent on all of the dvd's I see on sale. And it completely bummed me out. Now, I am not talking about dvd's that were released 2 years ago. I am talking about a dvd I bought a month ago cheap for $14.99 and now see for $7.99. Or the tv show box set I got cheap for $32.99 that is now on sale for $16.99. Now, I know its a fact of life for the hobby. I just wished I had tried to hold off...I mean I know they are going to be cheaper. I don't know why I just can't wait? I mean I waited 4 months for the movie/show to be release. Why can't I just wait another month? I did get better with some of my tv show releases and held off for the big Deep Discount Dvd sale. But, so many shows and movies I rushed to buy. And whats worth is a fair amount are still on my shelf unwatched.
So while me buying dvd's is never going to stop...I must try to control myself and wait.....well at least until Tuesdays new releases which I just have to have. :D ;)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
It took me a couple of years to get over "release day fever," but I did get over it. It just takes a sufficient accumulation of seeing that "great buy, $14.99 on release day" title now for $5.50 in the Wal-Mart dump bin to realize how much money is wasted on release day.

I very seldom buy anything on release day now, knowing that I'll be able to save even more money by waiting to buy it used, either in a used shop or for 3 for $25 at Blockbuster, or waiting for the price drop.

Ravi K

Supporting Actor
I gotta admit, I was kind of pissed to see Arrested Development season 2 selling for as low as $12.99 on Black Friday, when I bought it in the first week of release for about $20. But I already watched it about 3-4 times in that time period, so I can't say I'm too angry about it. The deals I did get made up for it. And after getting Band of Brothers for $6, I can't complain about this year :D :D :D

I figure that the enjoyment I got out of DVDs like Seinfeld seasons 1/2 and The Incredibles since they were released are worth the money I spent on them at the time. Better than having done without them until now IMO.

Hank E

Stunt Coordinator
I've been thru this too, I was a huge release-day-aholic. The trick is to wait for the price drops and the sales to buy stuff.... make those your new releases. Most of the titles I've bought in the last few weeks have been out for 3-6 months or longer, but there're still new to me. The only things I buy on release day now are the titles that have those damn bonus discs that I just have to have (fortunately there aren't that many).

DavidofLondon

Stunt Coordinator
Personally I buy almost everything through pre-order so that I get it delivered on release day (or occasionally slightly before/after).

I have noticed that a bit more patience would save me money but then I justify my actions in the following way

* I get pleasure watching them in the intervening period
* My purchase encourages the studio to release future seasons/similar product
* I've zero patience

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks