What's new

Obese man sues fast-food chains. (1 Viewer)

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Well, it's ok to make a product more addictive (look at Evercrack oops I mean Everquest!), provided that the company provides full disclosure!

In the case of the Tobacco companies, they did not disclose the toxic substances that they used to dope the cigarettes. They also insisted that their product is NOT addictive - proved false by science.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> I'm not sure which tobacco suits you're referring to

The ones where people claimed they didn't know smoking was harmful, despite the warnings that have been on the packages since the 1960s, and the fact that slang terms for cigarettes such as "coffin nails" (dating back to 1888!) and "cancer sticks" have been around even longer.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
I don't think it's illegal or unethical to try to make a product more addictive. After all, that's the whole point of selling something--to sell as much as you can. (Obviously if it's an illegal substance, that's a different matter.)
There's a difference that must be captured when using the word "addictive". There is a difference between something that you do excessively because you enjoy it (such as: DVDs for example are addictive to many here) and something that you can't give up for physical/physiological reasons (aka: crack is highly physically addictive to anyone, not just hometheater buffs)

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
The title of this thread should be Fat man stuffs too many cheeseburgers down his potato shoot and tries to be rich if he can't be skinny.

David Baranyi

Stunt Coordinator
I wonder whether the lawsuits against the airlines, Boeing, and the Port Authority for "lax security" on September 11 is friviolous. I really can see the "lottery mentality" on the minds of those that filed them.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
So true, David. The worst part about that is if they do win, the airlines are going to be even deeper in debt. Then they'll just ask for another bailout, and you and me will end up paying for it.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
How long til that restaurant gets sued for refusing to sell that dessert to someone who refuses to sign a waiver? What about our right to waiver-free desserts?

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Was there ever a ruling in the civil case of the plantiff that sued a Movie Theater chain earlier this year because he had to watch non-film preview "commercials" after the listed film's start time?

The local Hoyts/Regal is really pissing me off. 12 minutes (seriously, twelve whole minutes, I counted) of commercials before the previews, and they even started late! The film itself didn't start till 25 minutes after it's listed time!

Therefor if the man successfully sued then I would have legal precident and a "threat" of a lawsuit might make them start movies at the listed time.

Regal Cinema pre-commercial "still": Without advertising a funny thing happens, NOTHING!

Then what did I buy a $8 ticket and $14 large popcorn/medium soda combo for?

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor
The theater I go has basically started the Comercial reel about 5 to 7 minutes early, than once the time comes to start the feature they start the Previews.

So say a movie is scheduled to start at 3pm, the commercials would start at 2:55pm and the previews would then start at 3pm.

If there going to have comercials in the theater at least make them different than the ones I see on TV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks