What's new

O Brother, Where Art Thou? Is this worth my money? (1 Viewer)

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
I've heard relatively good things about this movie but I didn't get a chance to see it. Anyone care to offer an opinion on it? Has anyone heard what's going to be on the DVD?
------------------
You want to upgrade again?!!

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Yes! It's worth buying the DVD.
Everything is great about the movie...the acting, cinematography, editing...
At least buy it for the soundtrack...it's great.
One word of caution: The picture will look like the blue tones have faded away mostly, but that's how it looked in the theatre.
The extras include a documentary on how the film was digitally color timed and also a music video for the Soggy Bottomed Boys.
You'll like it.
------------------
-P.J. McCart
uhf.gif

http://cztoondb.tripod.com

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
I liked the film as well and will certainly pick up the disc next week. It's not one of my favorite Coen brothers films, I found it a little uneven at times, however this should please almost all Coen fans and may even interest those who can't stand them. Might want to rent it first if you aren't sure.
The cinematography in this film is wonderful, and should transfer beautifully to disc.
Regards,
Jason
------------------
maelstrom.jpg

AWESOME Movie Of The Moment (Maelstrom)
Click Link Removed To Download The Trailer (in french)!
[email protected]
I Am Jack's DVD List
"Don't water the plants, they're plastic!" Eugene Levy, Best In Show

AaronJB

Second Unit
Phenomenal cinematography by usual Coen Brothers DP Roger Deakins. Tremendous score full of classic tunes which will likely sound terrific.
The movie, on the other hand, I simply didn't connect with. Decent performance by Clooney, but I simply thought much of it didn't have a point and wasn't funny. Just my opinion, though.
I might be able to check out the disc tomorrow.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
All home theatre libraries should include the entire Coen discography, it's the law.
I'm the only one in the car that remains unaffiliated, so to speak.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Well, I'm a bit more positive about it than Jason is, as I would put it near the top of their work. Perhaps behind Raising Arizona, Miller's Crossing...maybe Fargo.
It is a "segmented" film in that it is a series of adventures along the road home, just like the Odyssey which it is based off of. That can give it a disjointed feeling, but it really does capture much of the flavor of Homer's story, if not being a true retelling.
The SOUNDTRACK is excellent and it is a definate feel-good film with lots of fun and laughs along the way. On top of all that it is beautifully shot.
I think Clooney's effort in this film was on par with Cage's in Arizona, very similar cool guys who screw up all the time. Both with that familiar twang in their voices.
WARNING: If you hate something like Raising Arizona or Big Lebowski you MIGHT not like this film, although it's early 20th century American folk music soundtrack will interest many non-Coen fans.

rhett

Supporting Actor
A real great film. Prior to viewing the film I have been studying Homer's The Odyssey, and if you have any past knowledge of this great literature, than you will undoubtedly like O' Brother much more. I saw this film with a couple friends, and they were oblivious when it came to Homer's work, but still found the film to be hilarious and really fun. The tree lead actors are perfect in their parts, and as always, the Cohen Bros. direction is inspired and intriguing. This is a very well done film and it is a shame it didn't get better box office returns. And that damn Soggy Bottom Boys song really stays with you, so be forewarned! :)
------------------
"Why don't we just wait here for a while...see what happens."

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
I'm sold. It sounds like it's a winner.
Boy, I really hate having to buy yet another DVD
biggrin.gif

Thanks guys.
------------------
You want to upgrade again?!!

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
I like this film a lot, but it's so popular in my area, that it's still playing at my local multiplex. This is the longest run around here since Titanic. Probably longer than Episode One stayed.
------------------

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I love this film! It's my second favorite Coen Brothers film behind "Fargo". Granted, like all Coen films, it's not for everyone. I found it really funny, and the music is great! Definitely a must-buy for me!
It's unbelievably still playing in at least one venue here, too.

Eric Howell

Stunt Coordinator
Wes, same this is happening here(Tennessee) with O Brother being the longest running film of the year. I don't know what kind of box office returns it is getting, but this kind of longevity is normally only reserved for Steven Segal and Ashley Judd movies(gots to love the South
crazy.gif
)
The film is wonderful. I took my dad to see this one, and he loved it too(To give you an idea of the kind of movie "fan" he is, if it ain't Casablanca, Lawrence of Arabia, or some other classic status movie, he won't willingly watch it).
------------------
Fantasia-Firebird.jpg

My:Hardware LDs DVDs Top Tens

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
I'm in the "not real familiar with Homer's work" category, although not a complete stranger. I was hip to the Sirens and the Cyclops.
A knowledge of early country (and blues) will go a long way toward helping you appreciate this film.

Eric Porter

Auditioning
I took my dad to see this the other night at the local second run theater and we both loved it. My father who is not a big movie fan seems to love all the Cohen movies. Go Figure

Rob_C

Stunt Coordinator
A great flick. One of my favorite Coen brothers movies. It was in my top 10 of last year. Good acting, well executed comedy, great all around performances.
I took my parents too and they also enjoyed it. It was odd because they haven't been to the movies in years.

Charlie Essmeier

Stunt Coordinator
Easily the weakest of the Coen brothers' films, this one would be easy to pass up. It's greatest flaw is its inability to figure out how it's going to end. The last 30 minutes just wander around aimlessly.
If you don't have it already, buy "Blood Simple" instead.
Charlie

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Let me throw in my 2 cents here.
I love this film and the DVD. I've already watched it four times and would not hesitate to watch it again to see the enjoyment of others (as well as myself). I own everything that the Coen Brothers have on LD/DVD and this is one of my favorites.
The soundtrack alone (especially if you can take advantage of the DTS portion) is worth the price of admission. And the staging and cinematography is just plain brilliant. Yes, I am familiar with the Oddysey references, but did you also catch the tremendous and obvious multiple homages to The Wizard of Oz? Not only in the transition from black and white to color at the outset, but in many other places, both with throwaway lines which remind you of OZ, but also, quite obviously (and well executed!) when our boys come upon the KKK meeting. Fascinating!
I heartily recommend this title. It is demo quality and should be studied more than once. This is high praise coming from me since I have well over 1000 titles in my DVD and LD collection that I have yet to watch.
One Warning:
Do not use this movie to show off the colors that your system is capable of producing. It is purposely done in muted brown shades, etc. to capture the flavor of the depression and dust bowl era (as explained quite nicely in the supplements). This is very effective, but if you are looking for Toy Story II or Fantasia 2000 colors, you will be disappointed. This is not a knock on the film, since it was the intention of the directors and the D.P.
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

------------------
RAF
[Demented Video Dude since 1997]
[Computer Maven since 1956]
["PITA" since 1942]
Link Removed

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor
i borrowed it from my father in law and watched it last night. i enjoyed it so much that i am going to purchase my own copy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks