What's new

NYPD BLUE better for the cast changes? (1 Viewer)

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
Like my ER post i've come to the conclusion that this show is better for the cast changes! I feel for the first time the show has an ensemble instead of just two stars.
The first season will always be one of the greatest television seasons ever and I don't think i've ever seen a television character as good as John Kelly! Say what one will about Caruso but he nailed that role! Having said the season was mostly about the Kelly/Sipowicz roles.
Over the past years with the changing of the characters the show has taken on more of an ensemble. I feel it started when they replaced Martinez! Jones,Clark, Ortiz, Rodriguez, Haywood and mostly Connie have breathed new life into this show. It's not a two character show anymore!
There had come a time between Smits and Shroeder that I had stopped watching the show. Nowadays i'm more addicted than ever! What are your thoughts?
David

David Egan

Stunt Coordinator
It's a mixed bag. I like the new boss way better and Connie's great but her partner has no distinctive personality as yet. Jones is too noble and completely boring and as for the ADA gal, it's clear that she was wedged into the cast to raise the color quotent after complaints by minority advocates. I'm in favor of seeing all races on TV but the writers have no idea what to do with her and the relationship between her and Jones has been painfully bad soap opera.

I've always had complaints with this show but remain loyal.

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
I lost interest when Bobby Simone (Jimmy Smits) died and walked away completely when ADA Costas (Sharon Lawrence) was killed off. I suppose the show is still good, but I couldn't take Ricky Schroeder seriously and adding Zack from Saved By The Bell didn't exactly win me back. Actually, I was mad when Sherry Stringfield left after season one.
As I reflect on the subject, I did the same thing when Chicago Hope killed off The Eel (Peter MacNicol) and when The Practice killed Richard Bay. I must have been an obnoxious attorney in a previous life. :)
I'm tempted to quit on ER now that Mark Greene is gone, but I think I'll stick with it for now.
Brad

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
as for the ADA gal, it's clear that she was wedged into the cast to raise the color quotent after complaints by minority advocates
What year are we living in? I'm sure New York has some black female ADA's? Why would one in a role be filling a quotent?

Jefe Noche

Stunt Coordinator
This show simply not what it used to be. It has ran it's course. What made (PAST TENSE INTENTIONAL) NYPD Blue great was it's realism. Andy and Connie? GIVE ME A BREAK!!!! and all the dramas that Andy has gone through: Has any man in the history of the world suffered so much loss and struggle?

If I want a soap opera, I'll record The Young and the Restless.

Raasean Asaad

Supporting Actor
After what Sipowicz has been through:
Shot
Beaten
Alcoholic
Wife dies
Son dies
Partner dies x2
Cancer
TPTB had to throw him a bone by giving him a hottie like Connie. :)
My favorite character: Theo Sipowicz

Raasean Asaad

Supporting Actor
You know, thats both funy and oh so true....something WILL hapen to Connie because...TV is ust so predicitble

doug zdanivsky

Supporting Actor
Real Name
doug zdanivsky
The Connie-Sipowitz love affair is the toughest bone to swallow on the show right now.
I mean, Come ON!! I know there's chubby-chasers out there, but...
Actually ALL the office romances going on are distracting.. It's like they can't find anything else to write about, and they have to fill space by shoving everybody's asses and chests on the screen, which would be OK if they kept it to the women.. :)
Still one of my favorite shows, but that's my main beef.
I've been pleasently surprised by both Ricky Shroader and Mr. Saved by the bell.
I like the new boss, too.

Yeah, but take a look at Connie lately, especially this season. Is it just me or have they significantly lowered her beauty quotient? Every week she looks a little more unkempt instead of drop dead gorgeous. Mussed hair, sweats, I think they toned down her good looks.
And let's not forget, Sharon Lawrence went for Andy, so maybe he has that kavorka (sp?) that Kramer used to have. :D

Roberto Carlo

Second Unit
Yeah, but take a look at Connie lately, especially this season. Is it just me or have they significantly lowered her beauty quotient? Every week she looks a little more unkempt instead of drop dead gorgeous. Mussed hair, sweats, I think they toned down her good looks.
That's especially true in HDTV. :frowning: Every imperfection and blemish comes through. She seems to age 10-plus years. Jacqueline Obradors fares even worse!
BTW, while I don't look like Dennis Franz I'm still a big guy and I married a homecoming queen-type. It does happen.

doug zdanivsky

Supporting Actor
Real Name
doug zdanivsky
I hope you weren't offended by my comments, Roberto! Just jealous of Dennis, I guess.. :)
I haven't noticed that they've toned down the girls' looks this season. They're both still very good looking.. Maybe it IS the HDTV. I think I'll stick with my non-HDTV programing.. ;)
I have noticed that they aren't doing anything with Ortiz and Junior.. But like I say, less romance, more drama!

Roberto Carlo

Second Unit
I hope you weren't offended by my comments, Roberto!
Never even thought of being offended. They have definitely toned down the looks. If you go to IMDB and look at the women's pictures, they are very pretty, especially Obradors. On NYPD, she looks like a Latin Patti Lupone -- the post-Evita one. :frowning:
HDTV is fun -- I just starting getting the channels -- but it seems that what works make-up wise for NTSC won't for DTV and vice-versa. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks