NYPD BLUE better for the cast changes?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Coleman, Nov 25, 2002.

1. David Coleman

David Coleman Supporting Actor

Like my ER post i've come to the conclusion that this show is better for the cast changes! I feel for the first time the show has an ensemble instead of just two stars.
    The first season will always be one of the greatest television seasons ever and I don't think i've ever seen a television character as good as John Kelly! Say what one will about Caruso but he nailed that role! Having said the season was mostly about the Kelly/Sipowicz roles.
    Over the past years with the changing of the characters the show has taken on more of an ensemble. I feel it started when they replaced Martinez! Jones,Clark, Ortiz, Rodriguez, Haywood and mostly Connie have breathed new life into this show. It's not a two character show anymore!
    There had come a time between Smits and Shroeder that I had stopped watching the show. Nowadays i'm more addicted than ever! What are your thoughts?
    David

2. David Egan

David Egan Stunt Coordinator

It's a mixed bag. I like the new boss way better and Connie's great but her partner has no distinctive personality as yet. Jones is too noble and completely boring and as for the ADA gal, it's clear that she was wedged into the cast to raise the color quotent after complaints by minority advocates. I'm in favor of seeing all races on TV but the writers have no idea what to do with her and the relationship between her and Jones has been painfully bad soap opera.

I've always had complaints with this show but remain loyal.

3. Brad Porter

Brad Porter Screenwriter

I lost interest when Bobby Simone (Jimmy Smits) died and walked away completely when ADA Costas (Sharon Lawrence) was killed off. I suppose the show is still good, but I couldn't take Ricky Schroeder seriously and adding Zack from Saved By The Bell didn't exactly win me back. Actually, I was mad when Sherry Stringfield left after season one.
    As I reflect on the subject, I did the same thing when Chicago Hope killed off The Eel (Peter MacNicol) and when The Practice killed Richard Bay. I must have been an obnoxious attorney in a previous life. [​IMG]
    I'm tempted to quit on ER now that Mark Greene is gone, but I think I'll stick with it for now.
    Brad

4. David Coleman

David Coleman Supporting Actor

5. Jefe Noche

Jefe Noche Stunt Coordinator

This show simply not what it used to be. It has ran it's course. What made (PAST TENSE INTENTIONAL) NYPD Blue great was it's realism. Andy and Connie? GIVE ME A BREAK!!!! and all the dramas that Andy has gone through: Has any man in the history of the world suffered so much loss and struggle?

If I want a soap opera, I'll record The Young and the Restless.

6. Raasean Asaad

Raasean Asaad Supporting Actor

After what Sipowicz has been through:
    Shot
    Beaten
    Alcoholic
    Wife dies
    Son dies
    Partner dies x2
    Cancer
    TPTB had to throw him a bone by giving him a hottie like Connie. [​IMG]
    My favorite character: Theo Sipowicz

7. RobertW

RobertW Supporting Actor

until she dies![​IMG]

8. Raasean Asaad

Raasean Asaad Supporting Actor

You know, thats both funy and oh so true....something WILL hapen to Connie because...TV is ust so predicitble

9. doug zdanivsky

doug zdanivsky Supporting Actor

doug zdanivsky
    The Connie-Sipowitz love affair is the toughest bone to swallow on the show right now.
    I mean, Come ON!! I know there's chubby-chasers out there, but...
    Actually ALL the office romances going on are distracting.. It's like they can't find anything else to write about, and they have to fill space by shoving everybody's asses and chests on the screen, which would be OK if they kept it to the women.. [​IMG]
    Still one of my favorite shows, but that's my main beef.
    I've been pleasently surprised by both Ricky Shroader and Mr. Saved by the bell.
    I like the new boss, too.

10. Brian Sanger

Brian Sanger Extra

Yeah, but take a look at Connie lately, especially this season. Is it just me or have they significantly lowered her beauty quotient? Every week she looks a little more unkempt instead of drop dead gorgeous. Mussed hair, sweats, I think they toned down her good looks.
    And let's not forget, Sharon Lawrence went for Andy, so maybe he has that kavorka (sp?) that Kramer used to have. [​IMG]

11. Roberto Carlo

Roberto Carlo Second Unit

12. DaveMcS

DaveMcS Second Unit

deleted

13. doug zdanivsky

doug zdanivsky Supporting Actor

doug zdanivsky
    I hope you weren't offended by my comments, Roberto! Just jealous of Dennis, I guess.. [​IMG]
    I haven't noticed that they've toned down the girls' looks this season. They're both still very good looking.. Maybe it IS the HDTV. I think I'll stick with my non-HDTV programing.. [​IMG]
    I have noticed that they aren't doing anything with Ortiz and Junior.. But like I say, less romance, more drama!

14. Roberto Carlo

Roberto Carlo Second Unit