What's new

NYC Street and First studio shoot, from event at PPE NYC (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I went to the Renegade PR event yesterday which is a side part of Photo Plus Expo in NYC (Going to the show tomorrow at the Javitts if anyone is around, call my cell 908 461 7181), it went from 12-9 pm or longer (was still going on in the 2 stops brighter studio when I left) and it was AWESOME. We had a lot of fun, had a very varied group and I personally learned a ton, especially about street and studio shooting. I got to shoot a D200 for a few hours and found it a capable cam and then got to shoot a D2XS for about 5 hours and the deal is sealed, I officially want a D3 more than just about anything else I can think of. I bought a second 8GB card today bringing my walk around total to 21 Gigs and I think I shot north of 12 gigs today. Pics over the weekend.

Two of my shots from the studio, first time I've ever used studio lighting tho I was guided through the whole process:

Model:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kadath/1608332191/

Elmo from Imaging Insider:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kadath/1608331491/

Note that I had a HELL of a time figuring out how to make the D2XS mimic my 20D's * button does exposure and focus lock, so if they eyes arent in focus thats my fault and not the cameras.

We did a lot of street shooting too, havent processed any in lightroom yet cept this one:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kadath/1608718449/

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Hey, Sam.

I couldn't make it to the show. Oh well. Can't afford the D3 anyway. :P

The pics are ok. Could probably use some more interesting POVs in some cases and/or capture some interesting action or "poses" (or juxtapositions) w/in the scene, etc. Some could probably use a much wider view while some could probably use a much tighter/closer one. Sometimes, you might just have to shoot w/out looking through the viewfinder w/ the camera off and away from you for a more interesting POV...

_Man_

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Thanks for the constructive criticism Man-Fai, much appreciated. I tried to do two things, getting some interesting scenes and looking for stories, and due to the gear learning curve probably focussed more on the former.

Keep in mind that other than a few dozen rolls of Tmax for a B&W class i took a few years back, I havent shot a Nikon since I sold my F3HP in 1995 so I was stoked to be shooting a D2XS. But I was a bit out of my league without even a manual to go by. I'm amazed as many shots were in focus as I was able to salvage. I took over 600 photos and edited down roughly 80 and am truly happy with over 20 of those, so I call that a good day given the circumstances.

I got to play with the D3 at the show and I am seriously drooling over that monster viewfinder and the 14-28 2.8... Don't think I can drop 10k on camera gear right now but someday it will be mine, oh yes! =) In the mean time I will keep working on composition, drama, emotion and story, can do those a whole lot better than I have so far with a $6 polaroid and the big guns won't automatically endow me with those skills.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Hehheh. True that about the pics.

I think I'll just wait for Nikon FF to come down to mortal levels maybe a few years from now in the form of say D500 before I go for another body upgrade. :D But hey, Sam, "if you book them, they [the gear] will come..." ;) And oh yeah, say hello to Mr. Junior for me. ;) :D

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread