What's new

NY Restaurant suggestions (1 Viewer)

Jim Sentry

Stunt Coordinator
Unfortunately NYC has become a city for the very rich or the very poor.

My advice: sample the city's finest and most unique. Stay away from the gimmicy or franchise type places.

Often times my favorite is sitting on the steps of the Federal Reserve downtown or on a Park Avenue Plaza and watching all the wannabee's go by.

In the Theatre District get a kick out out of the pseudo regulars and the first timers. People watching can be sport numero uno.

When you come home you'll appreciate that much more.

I Love NYC and thank Rudy for cleaning up Time Square.

Tommy G

Screenwriter
Carmine's would be fine if you could get in it during normal "eating" hours but that is not even a possibility. My office was in the city (Madison and 42nd) for a while and then we moved out to cheaper Saddle Brook, NJ and we usually have to do lunch at 2 or 3 in the afternoon and that is with a reservation months in advance.
Michael, you wrote:

Where is this? I am currently doing an eight month project in Buffalo and need new eating places. Are you talking about Marco's?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

A friend was taking me around from place to place, but unfortunately, I can't remember any of the names. One was right near the airport; everything else was downtown.

M.

OK. Here's my take on this...

Virgil's is a great spot. I go here (and take delivery) from this place all the time. The food is great and the atmosphere is buzzing. If you like BBQ and want an upbeat 'Times Square' type place you can't go wrong here. I don't think they take reservations around 'theater' dining slots, so be prepared to wait 30 minutes at the bar for a table. My advice - ask for a table upstairs and order the mash!

You can't go wrong with Carmine's either. If the food isn't the best Italian, it's still pretty good - and the atmosphere is great. In fact Carmines and Virgils are owned by the same people. In my experience however, you must make a reservation here to have any chance of getting a table before a show. Just turning up ain't gonna work!

However, my choice for a pre Theater meal is a place called Vice Versa on 51st St between 8th and 9th Ave. This place has a more refined feeling that the first two places - and therefore may be more suited if you've made a little effort to dress up for the theater. From the stainless steel bar to the muted lighting, it feels like you're in SoHo rather than midtown. The European style (and sized) dishes are fantastic and I love the presentation and attention to detail throughout. Although a little more expensive than the first 2 places, 2 people can eat here with wine and service for about $100. Well worth it IMHO!

You really can't go wrong with any of the suggested places. Have a great time in NYC!

Richard

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks