What's new

NY Restaurant suggestions (1 Viewer)

ScottHH

Stunt Coordinator
Caveat: I haven't lived in NYC for 2 years, so any specific recommendation might be a bit rusty.

I think Shane is talking about the Carnige Deli on 7th Avenue between 54th and 55th Streets. Great pastrami sandwiches. But depending on your idea of ambiance, it either has none or it too is an "institution".

Michael, by "tourist-friendly restaurants" do you mean over-priced and under-whelming? That would be my general impression of the restaurants I've patronized in the theater district and Times Square.

A few more questions:
1. Do you plan on having any drinks with your meal. If you do not, than $80 is a very reasonable budget. With a bottle of wine, staying under $100 will be much more difficult.
2. Are you driving in? If you are, you're probably going to park the car once. I would be inclined to park a few blocks west of the theaters, 9th Avenue or even 10th. In addition to avoiding some of the traffic, IMHO, as a general rule, the food is better and cheaper on 9th vs. between Broadway and 8th.

Look at these websites for other ideas:
newyork.citysearch.com Zagat.com

CHEAP idea: great hamburgers, chicken sandwhiches and milk shakes (we used to get lunch here also zero ambiance) Island Burgers 766 Ninth Ave. (bet. 51st & 52nd Sts.)

Italian idea Puttanesca
But they have their own website now www.putanesca.com which seems toursity to me. Has anyone been there lately?

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member

You have me blushing, Lew. :b Perhaps I'll post the recipe for Angelo's Sunday Gravy soon. And did I mention my latest forays into fusion cuisine? I'm working on Angelo's G&G (grits and gorgonzola)!

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

I was thinking of the chain restaurants that offer the traveler something familiar and predictable. Places like the giant Red Lobster that opened just south of Times Square, which is supposed to be doing huge business, or Appleby's on 42nd, or even the giant McDonald's next to Madame Tussaud's.

Definitely underwhelming, but I can't say whether they're overpriced, having never set foot in any of them.

M.

Greg Z

Stunt Coordinator
My wife suggested a place called Jekell & Hydes. What do you think? Wine with dinner? Na, more a beer man myself. If my wife has a drink, it will probably be a blue drink with an umbrella in it!

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Katz's Deli maybe? Or the Carnegie? That is if you are looking for Corned Beef or Pastrami Jewish type deli's. I prefer Katz's for the informal atmosphere and the chair in which Meg Ryan had her er, ahhh ... eruption.:D

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member

It's a "theme resturant," along the lines of the Fashion Cafe, Planet Hollywood, Harley Davidson Cafe, Hard Rock Cafe and All-Star Cafe.

We went to a party there around the time it opened (mid '90s as I recall). That's all I remember. :D

Jim Sentry

Stunt Coordinator
When going to NYC, go for the neigborhoods, Little Italy, Chinatown, Hells kitchen, Tribeca. Post Theatre and for dynamite jazz supper club at the Carlisle. Or, less expensive, the Swing Club. Fantastic Piano Bar, the Rum House on 47th St.

For club after club the Village.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
And since we are trashing New York institutions, I find the Carnegie Deli to be horribly overrated. I actually think that they have mediocre food.

Strangely one of the very best places in the country for NY deli sandwiches is in Ann Arbor. Try Zingerman’s the next time you are in town. This is also a great place to pick up obscure olive oils and such.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

I assume you mean the Carlyle Hotel? The check will quickly escalate beyond the range that Greg specified. For that neighborhood (which is nowhere near the theater district), I could recommend a half dozen neighborhood places with great food and more reasonable prices. And I know the area well, 'cause it's where I live.

M.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
The only thing I love on that block of 42nd St. is the theaters.

It's not just that I live here. It's that I dine a lot in the theater district. Thirty-nine performances in the last twelve months -- more if you include theaters in other parts of town.

M.

Walt N

Second Unit
I like the Brazilian restaurant Cabana Carioca at 123 45th Street. Right in the middle of midtown. You can get stuffed there for around $20 a head and the food's always been real good. It's not the greatest Brazilian restaurant in the world, but it may be the most reasonable considering it's location.

"For almost as long as anyone can remember, this Brazilian restaurant has been a prime choice for cheap, filling and delicious food. - Ruth Reichl (4/98)"

"For sheer volume of food, it's hard to match this Brazilian fixture inthe theater district. Dishes like roast suckling pig, garlicky roastchicken and feijoada are not likely to win awards for subtlety, but you will leave stuffed. The décor is tacky, service can be spotty, but prices are reasonable and lunch can be unbelievably cheap. - Eric Asimov (11/98)
-The New York Times"

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member

:b

And, this weekend, a very nice bottle of Eiswein.

Speaking of delis, my better half and I recently ate our way through New Orleans. On our second day, we shared a enourmous muffaletta from Central Grocery. Walked across the street and ate it a few yards from the Mississippi.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Do we need to start a thread on New Orleans food and nightlife?

As a friend of mine from there said, "New Orealns is too fun a place to live in all the time".

Laissez le bon temps rouleau.

Jim Sentry

Stunt Coordinator
Listen when going to the Big Apple you need to experience the CITY. NY is the for rich or the poor. Decide what you want to see and go for it.

Some pompous NYorkers may reccommend this or that but ignore them. Go where the locals go. Just remember do not go to the tourist traps. like Caroline's

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks