What's new

NY Restaurant suggestions (1 Viewer)

Greg Z

Stunt Coordinator
I'm taking the wife to a broadway show in March. I'm looking for a MODEST ;) place to eat after the show. Is there such a place or am I dreaming?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
You'll have to define "modest". And are we talking about a matinee or evening show?

In general, Times Square is now dominated by fast-food and tourist-friendly restaurants. There's a handful of restaurants that I consider good dining, and they get all my theater-related business, but I have no idea whether they'll fit your price range.

M.

Greg Z

Stunt Coordinator
We are going to a Matinee. I looked at places like Tavern on the Green and Rainbow Grill, and they seemed high. If we can get a dinner for about $80 for both of us that would be great. Maybe $100 at the most. I hope this helps.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Yes, that helps a lot. And with a matinee, you're not confined to Times Square but can go pretty much anywhere in the city (I don't consider Tavern on the Green to be walking distance from the theater district).

If you want to stay in Times Square, I'm a big fan of Blue Fin in the W Hotel at B'way and 47th. As the name suggests, the menu leans heavily toward seafood. Don't be discouraged by the insane crowd at the bar when you enter. Most of the tables are on the second level, which is bustling but a lot roomier. (I always request a second floor table when I reserve, just to be sure.)

One of the best Italian restaurants in midtown is Osteria al Doge on 44th between Sixth and B'way. You have to look hard for it right now, because there's a lot of construction around it and the street frontage is small and fairly modest.

If you're interested in leaving the theater district, I like 11 Madison which is (surprise!) at 11 Madison Avenue around 24th St. And the popular favorite on the Upper West Side is Ouest at 84th and B'way; it used to get a lot of celebrities from the neighborhood, but I don't know if that's still true.

Whatever you choose, make a reservation.

M.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
If you can get to Little Italy, there was a killer place there that absolutely blew my mind. I'll have to dig up the name but WOW what a dinner.

Then again Michael lives there so he should know the place :)

Ricky Hustle

Supporting Actor
Carmine's. Trust me on this one.

As a native New Yorker, I consider it modest, and it's walking distance.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member

That was going to be my suggestion as well. Mountains of food, at modest (cheap, by my standards) prices, served family style. Certainly not even close to the best Italian food in NYC, but it's an institution and worth a visit.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Ducking for cover...

Carmine's has two locations. The theater district location is 200 West 44th St.

And, although perhaps not the destination of a gourmand, you'll find a decent, modestly-priced meal. Consider also Patsy's at 236 West 56th St.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Isn't there a world famous sandwich shop there that has sandwiches that go up for a few feet it seems? I saw this on food TV and was rather po'd I missed it. Then again this is probably not a place to go for dinner after or before the show ;)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Agreed. But since Greg first considered Tavern on the Green and the Rainbow Room, I inferred that he was looking to take his wife somewhere with a modicum of class. Carmine's is a "joint". I suspect Patsy's is too, but I've only walked past it.

Now, if I were looking for a "joint", I'd probably go to the Edison on W. 47th. It has the advantage of being steeped in theater tradition, and it's not uncommon to recognize actors among the patrons -- not the big-name types, but the character actors that you know you've seen but can't quite place. (I did once sit next to Rebecca Gayheart, though.)

If ribs are your thing, Virgil's is an obvious choice. As is probably obvious by now, my tastes run in a different direction.

M.

Ricky Hustle

Supporting Actor

The above quote is accurate. But one must realize that Carmine's is a damn fine place to eat. Not everyone outside of NY has regular access to such fine food as NY has to offer. I live in Vegas now, and Carmine's serves better food than 95% of the Italian restaurants here.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Carmine's is fine for what it is, but there's better Italian less than a block away. And while I sympathize with the problems of getting good food in other locales (it's one of the many reasons I hate to leave New York), that's not really a consideration for someone who's coming here and can choose from the full array of options.

So here's another Italian for Greg to consider, though it isn't in Times Square. Novita, 102 E. 22nd (just east of Park). Intimate, reasonable, and the tourists don't know about it.

BTW, the best Italian food I've ever had in America wasn't in New York City. It was, believe it or not, in Buffalo. The town has a proud Italian community, and they really do it right. Just don't go in the winter. :)

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks