What's new

NY Daily News 6/4/04 article on shows not yet on DVD (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Funny...if he knew about our site, he'd know that several of those are in-the-works, among those he said were "missing". Oh, well. Too bad I don't see an e-mail address for him.

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
A couple of interesting tidbits from this article:
-I'd heard that low sales were the reason Season 2 of Twin Peaks hasn't come out, but this article says its due to legal hassles.
-Evidently there is "overwhelming consumer demand" for the first season of The Munsters. Who's have thought?

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
At this point, I don't think anyone knows what the deal is with Twin Peaks. Initially it was supposedly legal hassles, then it recently became low sales. Who knows what the deal is.

Just as long as those of us in r4 still get our release of season 2 from Paramount at the end of the year, I'm happy.

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
227??? Why aren't they making plans for the remaining seasons of The Jeffersons?

John*P

Second Unit
Thanks for posting that link, Charles.

I've never seen Twin Peaks, but it sounds like something I'd enjoy. If Season 2 and the pilot were released on Region 1 DVD, I'd buy the whole series, but I'm not just buying Season 1...

I really would love season sets of The Cosby Show and Family Ties. As a child of the 80s, those are the only shows on the article's "Shows you still can't get on DVD" list that I am interested in. I'd buy the whole series of both shows.

Rob P S: I guess 227 and Diff'rent Strokes were winners on the recent Columbia DVD poll. As for The Jeffersons, either Columbia is, as usual, taking their sweet time releasing their season sets, or maybe, S2 didn't sell well? (I'm hoping its the former, but even that is an annoying thought)

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Interesting, the article seemed to definitively say that "Six Million Dollar Man" was indeed being released by Universal by next year.

Of the list Mr. Ellis posted above, I definitely lament the lack of "Perry Mason" and "Get Smart" on DVD. Both are Paramount properties (if I'm not mistaken). I do believe there's some hope for "Smart" based on information (posted in other threads) that Paramount provided to the Get Smart official site webmaster.

I realize the long run of "Mason" makes a DVD release difficult, but in my opinion it was one of the best written shows of it's era (or any era) and hopefully there's a sufficient market to convince Paramount to release them.

Steve

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
I hope so. Would be a definite pre-order for me. It was my absolute favourite show as a kid, and unlike most programmes that one has nostalgia for, it's just as good when you go back to it.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I talked to him about that. Basically, and in my own words, what he stated was blown out of proportion and exaggerated. Things are not for-sure at this time. Keep letting Paramount know that you want this!

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

PARAMOUNT-- I WANT THIS!!

2005 is Get Smart's 40th anniversary.

Also, what do you folks think of the shake-ups at Viacom and Paramount? Will this affect the DVD division?

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

The guy that runs the GS site (I think his name is Carl Birkmeyer) also runs a yahoo clubs site dedicated to GS. Two or three months ago there was a lengthy thread in which Mr. Birkkmeyer told of the many efforts he and Stacey Adams (Don's daughter), among others, were making to convince Paramount to release the series. At first Paramount was skeptical, saying they thought there was no market for this. The studio cited GS's poor performance on TVLand as one of their concerns.

From what I gathered from the yahoo group, it seemed that Mr. Birkmeyer et al was able to convince Paramount the show was more saleable than what they thought. However, Paramount is still doing a wait and see attitude largely because there are tentative plans for a movie version of the series. Any TV show DVD release may be tied to this remake.
----------------

Dave - does the above jive with what you were told? I'm a glass half full kind of guy so I see hope in the above. If I messed up any of the details, please set me straight.

Steve

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
There are plenty of shows not out that I would want...Get Smart is very high on the list. There are a few shows, like the Jeffersons that I wish Columbia would hurry up and release subsequent seasons of. Although actually, S&S is coming out at a rapid pase compared to some of their other shows...season 1 was released in August 2002, and we're hearing about a season 5 release for later this year. All in the Family came out in March 2002 and is only now seeing season 3 in July. But, King of Queens a more current show has had 2 releases just since Novemember.

Oh, and count me among those looking forward to the Munsters. I'd also like the Adam's family.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
When a studio starts getting the same letter from different consumers all at the same time, to the same address, it just screams "internet campaign", and they tend to disregard it.

I'll repeat advice I just now wrote in another thread:

"Use a search engine to find contact info, and write to them. Be polite; they won't listen to rudeness. And don't tell them I sent you...just politely say you're a consumer who wants this, and got it into your head to ask the studio when he'll be able to buy it. "

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Au update after four years: most of the aforementioned shows have come out, but there are still major holdouts:

Peyton Place
The Six Million Dollar Man
The Bionic Woman

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks