What's new

NVDVD User alert - A licensing Nightmare (1 Viewer)

TedD

Supporting Actor
A Heads-Up for anyone considering purchasing NVDVD:

I have been trying to license this software for the last 4 days in order to check the quality of the filters compared to Sonic Cineplayer.

NVIDIA and their partner Globalware were anxious to take my money and promptly charged my credit card when I performed the online activation.

Only, the unlock didn't work, and it has taken 72 hours to get them to email me an unlock code to use.

The next problem is that the unlock code that was sent via email didn't work either. After entering the unlock code and rebooting, I was presented with: ta-da! a screen to fill in my credit card info to purchase the product!

At this point I have to recommend that you ALL stay away from this product until the issues with the activation system are corrected, or the activation system is removed.

Aparently, this activation system hides files all over your HD with bogus names like 5dfjovma.sys and other files that look like dll's but are part of the copy protection scheme and contain text rather than code.

Even if the unlock had worked, since I use my E: drive for a development partition and my C: for production the placement of the 5dfjovma.sys (marked as a system and a hidden file BTW) on C: means that if I should need to restore a ghost image of my C: drive, it will break the licensing of a program installed on E:.

This is not an acceptable solution. I have requested either a version of NVDVD that will work on my system or a refund of the $39.95 credit card transaction.

Other Issues:

If you start the trial period, then remove NVDVD before the expiration of the trial, you will not be able to reinstall it.

Slow response time of the NVIDIA support site.

Ted

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
What a nightmare, alright. :frowning:
There are ways around such silly schemes, but obviously forum rules rightfully forbid me from saying how.

socrates maroudis

Auditioning
Now nvidia has stopped giving out activation codes. I got an email saying that they were going to mail out CD with copies of the software on them. The only problem is that my billing address on file is old. I do not know if their customer service department is going to mail the CD to my new address or not because I have not received any kind of confirmation email. Who knows if customer support will respond. It was a nightmare getting help with the software when i first purchased it.

What really bugs me is that I have new computer parts here waiting to be put together, but I don't want to lose the ability to play DVDs. I am extremely annoyed.

socrates

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Wow a blast from the past. :)
Hmm interesting change of policy...any chance of mailing customer support on nvidia's website?

socrates maroudis

Auditioning
I still have not heard anything from Nvidia customer service. I have sent them 2 emails concerning NVDVD 2.55 CDs. I have also applied to be a beta tester for NVDVD 3.0. Haven't heard anything there yet. I will try smoke signals when it stops raining.

socrates maroudis

Auditioning
I just sent another email a few minutes ago and received an almost immediate response. Go figure. Third time is a charm I guess. I will stop ranting now.

Switching subjects, NVDVD 3.0 BETA is receiving some high praise at the AVSforum.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks