What's new

Number of SACD available around the world (1 Viewer)

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
As of the post date of this article on 12/22/2003, the number of SACD titles around the world went past 1,600. However, in just slightly over a week, that number is now approaching 1,700.

Edit: The current total stands at 1,698 titles based on the numbers at SA-CD.net.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
I was wondering about the number of titles of DVD-A. Is there a website that inventory all DVD-A titles around the world?

Actually, the number of SACD titles have passed 1,700 as Hong Kong Universal just released 10 hybrid SACD titles for its local artists within the last month. And rumor from within HK Universal is that they will release up to 50 SACD titles in 2004.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
I just pushed the total number of SACD releases even higher as I scanned the covers of my Hong Kong SACD collection and e-mailed them to Stephen at SA-CD.net. This include all 8 SACD titles released by Hong Kong Warner Music, plus another SACD distributed by HK Warner. Still have about 10 to go. With the before-mentioned 10 SACDs released by HK Universal, I think 1,750 titles by end of January 2004 is possible.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Lee,

Why do you always use "reports" that are out of date when discussing DVD-A? HFR DVD-A listing shows 656 titles. You have been shown this link on several occasions prior to this, why are you not using it as a resource when you discuss DVD-Audio title counts?

Danny,

The link I have above should cover you. I wish there were enough DVD-Audio titles out there that it would be pointless to maintain, but for now that isn't the case.

Cheers,

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Numbers are great when gauging the growth of a format to some extent, but it shows nothing about the viability of a new format. If alot of the releases are classical, jazz, HK, or some other small segment of music (which a ton of SACD are), it does nothing from a mass acceptance standpoint other than having a larger numbers for press release purposes.

From a personal standpoint, while the number of SACD releases has been increasing worldwide, I find myself purchasing fewer titles than ever. There have been little to no "modern" rock releases, and jazz output appears to have slowed down (especially from Sony). This may be due to the end of the year, but then again I would have assumed they would attempt to put out some marketable releases especially for the holiday season.

J

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Yet the numbers at Best Buy don't reflect this worldwide total. I know myself that some titles aren't released in the US, but it would be nice if BB would carry some of the more popular titles like GROOVE ARMADA anyway.

I hope that 2004 is the year of more current releases in the format. I'm thrilled with back catalog releases, and can't wait for more from Pink Floyd or Elton John or a first from QUEEN, but I'd like to see modern music on SACD multichannel.

I'd also like 2004 to be the year of the hybrid. Every release should be hybrid until cars come with SACD players.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee

There were a large number of Christmas releases reported on HFR, both seasonal and none seasonal. And look at the labels like Telarc starting to show their release schedules (24 in 2004).

Things are better than some of you give credit for.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I'm losing intrest in SA-CD to a great extent since I discovered D-VHS. I have a fair idea where I'll spend my money this year. If SA-CD remains a re-release format, I'll be watching more hi-def films and buying very few audio discs....

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
1,740 SACD titles now

Edit: As of 11:23PM, West Coast time, 1,750 SACD titles reached. And I was predicting 1,750 titles reached by end of January??!!

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Many dvd-audio titles are major rock/pop hit titles, & not obscure stuff. Translation: lots of money is involved. And since the huge majority of dvd-audio titles are in surround form, this means artist and surround studio time must be found & scheduled, and all the time such remixing work entails must be factored in also (actually, the only dvd-audios I personally know of that are only in stereo are from the "Hi-Res Music" label).

I'm not trying to make excuses for the dvd-audio format, but this sure seems to be part of the reason for the slow rate of releases.

(why is it this same info has to be repeated every couple of months?)

LJ

cwhite

Second Unit
The biggest gripe I have about DVD-A's is the user interface, or mainly, the need for one! With SACD, it works just like a CD, drop it in the player and let it go. Even with video DVDs, you have some consistency from movie to movie. Yes, you may sit through a self indulgent preview splash screen before the menu pops up. But with DVD-A's, I shouldn't need my TV just to enjoy the music! I know there are many user options for the user but some are difficult to navigate. My player is set to 2-channel audio by default but some discs will start playing the 5.1 mix anyway. And skipping tracks? On most DVD-A discs, it must be done sequentially unless you want to use your TV to see the track line up. And I have one DVD-A flipper disc. I would much prefer this option than having to select via onscreen menu. Thus ends my rant!

robertLP

Stunt Coordinator
I think it's safe to say DVD-A caters to the surround crowd. If you want to use the 2 channel option, it's a little bit of a pain. I use the default surround tracks nearly every time, so I simply load the disc by pressing 'play'; that's all there is to it. No TV required, unless I want to sample the stereo track or video extras (obviously).

It's actually more of a pain to switch to the stereo tracks of an SACD disc then a DVD-A disc on my player.

Rob

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
From January 3rd, 2004....

With 2 weeks left in the year, current count at sa-cd.net stands at 2,673 titles. An average of about 77 titles released each month.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
It's time to update this thread....

As of December 3, 2005, there're 3,454 SACD titles listed at sa-cd.net. Looks like SACD will cross over the 3,500 title threshold before the year ends. This number doesn't take into account the SACDs released in Hong Kong/China/Taiwan within the several months, which sa-cd.net is no longer adding to its list.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation822
Recent bookmarks