What's new

Now One of My Dreams Has Come True: The Mothers-in-Law on DVD! (1 Viewer)

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
Someone over on TVShowsonDVD.com's Facebook page posted some inside information from MPI stating that it should be out Jan/Feb 2010. They are trying to get conformation.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Tim Tucker ">[/url]

Someone over on TVShowsonDVD.com's Facebook page posted some inside information from MPI stating that it should be out Jan/Feb 2010. They are trying to get conformation.[/QUOTE]I just took a look to see. Jeez, MPI sure is taking their sweet time releasing this series. I went over to their website and they have all of these crap movies coming out that no one's ever heard of. Do those movies really sell? Very weird. MPI has gone from stellar to bottom of the barrel for me within a year. Shout! is the new favorite.

rcbrad

Agent
Real Name
Rick
I am sure that it needed remastering, it has not been widely shown for some time and it is over 40 years old. Perhaps the extensive extras that are included may be taking longer than anticipated and this may help explain the reason for the delay. As far as the extras go, I hope they include the unaired pilot and the documentary that was created years ago to showcase the creation and the filming of this series.

rcbrad

Agent
Real Name
Rick
Originally Posted by TonyD

One of the best opening themes ever.
Yes I agree. The the music and the accompanying clips set the stage for this slapstick comedy. I also loved the show logo and the creative "border" around the shows title. I am not sure what to call the "border", but it was very artistic.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
I'm told it's definitely coming. Be patient. They are trying to do this one right because thanks to the cooperation of Desilu II and others who care, they can.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Wow! Found this thread accidentally.

Who would ever have thought this show
would see the light of day on DVD.

Loved this show as a kid. I will definately
purchase the set as long as it is reasonably
priced -- not like stuff coming out from Shout
Factory.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I'm sure it's coming. It's one package only, and has already been announced and promoted. I'm sure the final annoucement of a release date will be coming in the next couple of months or so.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
I'm sure the primary focus of the deal with Desilu II was getting the Lucille Ball material out first.

Because, of course, it's Lucille Ball.

Ollie

Stunt Coordinator
Looks like this has been delayed until 2nd quarter of next year, but for good reason. They are re-mastering the episodes and preparing additional extras.

Hopefully it will be worth the wait. I've heard a lot about this show, and love 60's era sitcoms, but have never seen this one.
I look forward to discovering it on DVD.

Here's the announcement: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Mothers-In-Law-DVD-Update/12786

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
That's too bad that it's been delayed for such a long time. For fans of the show, I am glad they are doing it right. I won't be buying it. I'll be too busy with the "Here's Lucy" sets by then. It's a shame they make it sound like it will be available soon and then don't release it until almost a year later. It's bad marketing. Consumers don't like waiting months much less a year. Anyhow, hope you guys enjoy it when it finally comes out.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Yeah, we're not gonna buy it because it didn't come out this year. 42 years was a tolerable wait, but 43 means "no sale."

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
It's a shame they make it sound like it will be available soon and then don't release it until almost a year later.

Delays happen. Often. Could be replication delays, licensing
issues, the opportunity to get more material which puts things
on hold, etc.

Many people on this forum familiar with announced projects
will easily tell you that they don't always happen on schedule.

Heck, some of us are still waiting for releases that were
announced YEARS ago (such as The Bowery Boys, Twilight's
Last Gleaming, etc.).

Honestly...I never thought this show would see the light of day.

I mean, it wasn't a huge success. Most people don't remember
it.

For me, however, I have been looking for this show for years.
I thought I was only one of the few who did remember it. Saw
it as a kid -- barely remember any of the episodes -- but I do
recall laughing hard at it. It was also the first time I became a
fan of Kaye Ballard. I loved her comedy. Next to Lucy, I would
put her as my as my favorite slapstick comedienne.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by JohnMor /forum/thread/282682/now-one-of-my-dreams-has-come-true-the-mothers-in-law-on-dvd/30#post_3615339

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
We're all entitled to our own opinions, but I have to laugh here. On the one hand, people complain when Series X comes out in slipshod cutdown syndication prints. Then others complain when Series Y doesn't come out within a few weeks of its initial announcement. Can't you see why operations like MPI and Shout can't win here?

You can't have it both ways. MPI could have released old video transfers of The Mothers-in-Law and they would have been on the shelves within a few months. But everyone involved, including the Arnaz estate and the producers of this DVD want to see this through right, because even though the series itself may not be any "I Love Lucy", they respect the talents of everyone involved, from Lucy veterans Desi Arnaz, Bob Carroll and Madelyn Davis to on-screen legends Eve Arden and Kaye Ballard. In order to do it right with decent-looking full-length transfers, there's lots of work to be done. While this work is progressing, other bonus material is coming to light to make this project just a little bit special. If you don't care about The Mothers-in-Law, move on to shows you do care about. If you do care about The Mothers-in-Law, I think you'll find the wait worthwhile.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Sorry. Didn't mean to turn this into a huge argument. I was just posting my opinion. I think MPI jumped the gun placing previews on the dvds and putting the coverart in the insert of "The Lucy Show". That's all. It's now a fact they were nowhere near putting this release on store shelves.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Robert,

I'm glad you're keeping the thread going, because any discussion of The Mothers-in-Law here on the forum can only help to raise public awareness for a release I'm really looking forward to.

That's what forums like this are for -- civil arguments and discussions. Argue away!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks