What's new

Novice Anime Discussion Part I (1 Viewer)

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Okay, this was an expensive lunch hour. I trusted my instincts and Rob's recommendation and purchased

Haibane Renmei

The cool Vol. 1 box and the other three volumes to fill it. (I didn't want to happen to me what did when I purchased only Lain Vol. 1, finished it about 2:00 a.m and nowhere to get vol. 2.) The story on this sounds very cool indeed.

& my

Armitage III (The OVA) came in.

I held off on Texhnolyze.

Some others at DVD Planet that seemed interesting. Any comments?

Niea Under 7
Bubblegum Crisis (which?)
Hellsing(Is thing worth all the cabbage?)
Najica
Witch Hunter: Robin
X
Someday's Dreams

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Niea Under 7 is another Abe show... haven't seen it myself though I hear it's okay.

There are 2 versions of Bubblegum Crisis... the original and 2040. 2040 is a remake of the original and I liked it more than the original... but not enough to buy it ;)

Hellsing is good stuff if you like horror anime... but I like the manga (japanese comics) much better because most of the humor is lost in the anime. Still... it's worth getting.

Najica: Blitz Tactics is James Bond if there were 100 panty shots in every episode. The DVD comes with a free pair of panties, by the way! It's kind of a mediocre series though, there's really no need to see it.

Others in the thread may say otherwise, but I loved Witch Hunter Robin. You can check it out on Adult Swim on Cartoon Network to see if you like it. The Limited Edition is uber-cool and comes with a really nice t-shirt, shot glass, original soundtrack, and some reproduction cel art.

X: TV was my favorite show of 2001... it's totally and utterly worth getting if you want an action-drama with LOADS of character development. And, ugh, please don't even bother with X:1999 (the movie) it's quite bad (I just bought it because I got it for $5 ;) )

Someday's Dreamers is excellent... you've seen Kiki's Delivery Service, right? It's much in the same vein as that (girl goes off to the city to learn to be a witch).

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
[shakes head] So this is where you geeks congregate... thanks Ted. [Looks down] Zen me lad your animefanboyness has been exposed! Don't cower boy, come on let's head back to the ranch, your mama's waitin'.:angry:

[belches] btw AKIRA is the only anime worth havin', you can bin the rest [spits].

:D

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
Others in the thread may say otherwise, but I loved Witch Hunter Robin.
i agree. there were a couple of eps near the beginning which were kinda redundant, but the story really picks up pace about 1/3rd of the way in.

you didn't get gits zen? oh the horror....

at least rent the damn thing!

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
you didn't get gits zen? oh the horror....
gits ted? gits? you and your darn lowercaps,:) oh um you did mean Ghost in the Shell? Yes I was surprised Zen didn't have it in his dvd list too, one of the best anime's out there. Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust is superb too. Zen's a Buffy fanboy I'm surprised he doesn't have that one. Wings of Honneamise?

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
there's also a tv show (for sure) and (i think) a second movie??? i hear the tv show is pretty awesome, but i haven't seen it.

anyway, just get the movie for now. if you were local i'd totally let ya borrow it. (and that's sayin' sumthin' ... i'm about as anal as can be with my shizzle....) :)

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
Niea Under 7 - Sort of another Abe-related studio show (not sure how involved he was), but not as highly recommended. I think it's a lot lighter. I saw 2 eps of this when my fiancee rented it. Let's put it this way, my fiancee loves the Abe stuff, but she hasn't picked it up (yet).

Witch Hunter Robin - I've seen the first 2 discs of WHR. Watch in on Adult Swim to get a feel for it. Personally, I liked the concept and the style, but I didn't like the lack of a story arc. Single eps are good, but I like anime with an ongoing story, or, failing that, really good character development. A rental or Adult Swim watch to me.

X TV - I liked X quite a bit. It's got a bunch of the cliched anime stuff (1-on-1 fight scenes, lots of angst/suffering, big over-the-top action & explosions). The story lines are very character-driven. Some of the characters are very cool. Plus, the English dub is very good if you listen to them. I'm a sucker for apocolypse type stuff. Plus, some of the music is really good - the classical stuff (IMO).

Someday's Dreamers - I watched I believe 1 disc of this (another fiancee's purchase). Think Harry Potter in Japan. Seemed OK.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
dave, whr actually has a pretty good story arc. it just doesn't develop until around the 6th ep. but after that, it pretty much carries all the way to the end.

it actually had me hooked...i really dug it.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
WHOA! This thread is at the top?! What in the heck is going on?! :eek:

I have looked at Tony's opus, a very impressive list.
Thanks! You have no idea how many countless hours I have spent working on that list!

OK Zen, a lot of the anime people have recommended to you is on TV. Cowboy Bebop is Adult Swim (and will be restarting at episode 1 on May 5th.), Last Exile is on TechTV (not right now), Witch Hunter Robin is on Adult Swim (not right now), and the Ghost in the Shell TV series will be on Adult Swim sometime this year. I also HIGHLY recommend Crest of the Stars. It's a very good and intelligent Sci-Fi series. There is no stereotypical anime stuff to speak of in the series. Just to give you an idea of how good Crest of the Stars is, that is the series that made me stop hating anime! SERIOUSLY! TechTV has CotS, but they are not showing it at this time.

Zen, if we mention an anime series that you are curious about, then ceck out Anime News Network's Anime Encyclopedia and AnimeNFO. If you want to check out reviews of anime DVDs then go to AnimeOnDVD. I hope this helps you out. :D

By the way, notice how the list has gone unupdated in a long time? It's because I'm honestly sick and tired of dealing with it. The list has grown to be way too big, and no one is willing to let me trim the fat out of this list. So, I think it might be time to trim this list and get some new recommendations. My vision for this list is for it to be a list that contains the best anime that a vast majority of the anime fans here like, not a list that details what each person likes. In this new list, there will be a MAXIMUM of 5 titles per genre, but I will be a little more leniant on movies because there are so many of them. ;)

So, I will update this list, just as long as you all let me cut out stuff and recommend new stuff to add on.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Okay, maybe it was the wrong nigh, but I did not care much for Armitage III OVA. The disc did have two killer trailer for

Hellsing and

X

These two look dope as all hell. I'm pulling the trigger on Hellsing, no matter what.

I must commend all the recommendations for Haibane Renmei. I watched the first two episodes last night. Now this is what I like. IMHO, ABe's work so far just transcends much of the other anime I have watched. His stuff is like poetry and the storys unfold in a very dreamlike fashion. Why is this man not making full-length feature films ala Mayazaki. Bravo! So damn good, I brought it to work to watch an episode at lunch. Looks as if I'm going back to DVD planet today.

Next Purchases:
Hellsing (trailer rocked)

Texhnolyze &

Someday's Dreamers

BTW, I do not watch broadcast television nor is it hooked up in any fashion in my flat.

Romar Armas

Second Unit
Does anyone know if Kodomo no Omocha (aka Kodocha) will be coming out to R1 subbed? Or if there's already a subbed version available.

Been looking around for this for quite a long time now.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Kodomo no Omocha (AKA: Child's Toy) will be coming from FUNimation soon. I am really looking forward to it myself! :)

The DVDs should sport the standard sub/dub presentation. This is a pretty long show (100+ episodes) so I am hoping for 4-5 episodes per disc.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Mr. Butler:
I'm sorry if you didn't like it much; I thought your interests suggested you might, but I know that not everyone has the same tastes I do. By the way, what kind of supplements does the DVD have? My LDs have these 12x24inch poster-style inserts, adn one thing included is a set of "newspaper articles" which provide important background for the story.

Tony:
How about these recommendations:

COMEDY
Since the Tenchi OVA is already recommended, my vote goes to: Kimagure Orange Road [an older TV anime, but excellent in enjoyablility terms].

MECHA
No contest. The one and only Aim for the Top: GUNBUSTER [possibly the best OVA ever]. One problem: currently in U.S. release only in a cruddy subbed VHS version; if Bandai reacquires the rights from Manga things may improve.

SCI-FI
I'm not sure how Armitage suits the anime beginner. I can recommend Bubblegum Crisis [the original], or if we want to add "fantasy" El-Hazard: The Magnificent World [first OVA]

ACTION
Although both are science-fiction in setting, my recommendations have to go to either Armitage III [as I said, perhaps problematic for the beginner] or Cyber City Oedo 808 [which does have the problem that the U.S. dub scriptwriters couldn't get enough of the word "fuck"; the subtitles are OK].

SPORTS
I haven't seen too much sports anime, although Gunbuster starts out as a parody of one.

MOVIE
At the risk of being labelled a "GAINAX whore" I will recommend Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honneamise
[really good]. Also quite good is The Venus Wars by Yas.

You will note that this is mostly older stuff; my recommendations are based on what I have seen, and particularly what I am willing to pay money for.

Romar Armas

Second Unit
Rob,

Thanks for the info. :emoji_thumbsup: My wife has been bothering me about it. We recently finished the Manga and can't wait to see the Anime.

Christopher,

I couldn't get into Wings of Honneamise. It was recommended to me by a lot of people but I found it quite slow and boring.

However, I have to say that El Hazard is still one of my favourite Anime.

I was also surprised by Koko wa Greenwood (Here is Greenwood). I didn't expect much but it turned out to be a great series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks