What's new

November Criterion releases (1 Viewer)

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I heard about this over at the Criterion Forums. An amazing line up and, hopefully, Bresson's, Pickpocket will also be part of the November line-up.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Great news! Ran is certainly a favorite, and I'm definitely excited to get to see Ugetsu and Tales of Hoffman.

I wonder what commentary track(s) they'll have on Ran. The Wellspring edition (which I never saw) had a couple, including one by Stephen Prince. I guess it remains to be seen if they'll get either of those?

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I'll be buying all 3. Great to hear they're including Marker's documentary as well.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
I'll be picking up Ran for sure. :emoji_thumbsup: Now where's that Seven Samurai redux?!!

As much as I liked Ugetsu I don't know if I'll be shelling out the big Criterion bucks for it. Especially with so much other stuff coming out in the fall.

Don't think Tales of the Hoffmann would be my cup 'o tea even though I'm a big fan of the Archer's. Definitely a rental.

Tim_C

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, best month for Criterion releases I've seen in quite awhile. All three of these are definite buys for me.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
Tales of Hoffman is a spectacular announcement, and I'm very pleased that they've gotten George Romero to participate, as this is his favorite film.

DJ

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
oh man am I excited, I could only be happier if they'd also announced A Matter of Life and Death, but I saw Ugetsu and let out a whoop of joy. Ran I'm not as excited about but both those titles just hopped to the top of my fall list, it's a shame I can't get them all, damn this fall will be hard with all the great releases coming out... I may have to knock off Ben Hur from my christmas list in favor of Ugestsu since it's technically half a double dip (I don't have the silent, but I have the regular release). Tales of Hoffman I really want to see, but I think I'll netflix it or catch it on TCM's michael powell tribute (if it plays) first.

wow, after months of 'eh' titles (see George's sigh) a really incredible lineup!

Now where's those Ozu and Mizoguchi thirties films, Sisters of Gion and I was Born But... please please criterion?

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
Wow, am I glad I sold both my versions of Ran! The first was horrendous and the "remastered" was mediocre. Here's hoping for the third-time charm -- we are talking about Criterion, after all.

I haven't seen "Ugetsu" but it comes highly recommended. "Tales of Hoffman" is also a must-buy ... especially if you liked "The Red Shoes". Damn, this is going to be an expensive Fall. This happens to me every year...

~s

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I wonder how Ran's color pallet will turn out this time seeing as all other releases look quite different from each other.

David Jay

Stunt Coordinator
I was hoping for more, like the Pickpocket that was announced on the Bresson site for November. I saw Ugetsu on IFC a while back and wasn't too impressed, but maybe I need to see it again because I barely remember anything about it. I just sold my Ran Masterworks disc to a friend, so it's nice to know I can replace it soon. Haven't seen many Powell and Pressburger films, but Tales of Hoffman sounds good, so I may give it a spin.

November is right before Christmas, I hope that they have more than 3 titles lined up. (Wow, am I a Criterion whore or what?)

Brian PB

Supporting Actor

In addition to the posted artwork for Ugetsu (Spine #309), Ran (#316), and The Tales of Hoffmann (#317), there is a generic "Artwork Coming Soon" image for Spine #314 (though not for #315).

Speculation is that #314 will be either Pickpocket or Louis Malle's Au Revoir les enfants though, personally, I'm hoping for Tati's Playtime (if not in November, then as a bonus December release).

Brian PB

Supporting Actor
I have to say that I love all three covers. The Ugetsu artwork may just displace my all-time favorite Criterion cover, for Kurosawa's The Lower Depths. Extraordinarily beautiful.

As for the Ran cover, I find it very inventive. Yes, it has that Jackson Pollack-cum-Rorschach vibe, but the way the red Kanji characters of the title (which means "Chaos") emerge from within the 'chaotic' splatters of paint is quite creative. The paint blobs are also suggestive of the splattering of blood through war, while using the three primary colors represents the three sons of the story. Give it a while, Gordon: it'll grow on you.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Brian, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for "Au Revor Les Enfants"!

And I think all the covers look fantastic as usual!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks