November 6th: "X-Files: The Ultimate Collection"

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by docdoowop, Aug 9, 2007.

1. docdoowop

docdoowop Second Unit

2. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I would have thought they'd have waited until closer to the sequel's release (which seems less like a mirage now). I have the season sets already but I'm curious if this set will include the bonus discs that they dropped on the slim sets.

3. Jeff#

Jeff# Screenwriter

I have all 9 seasons in the more affordable sets, and those are enough.

The X-Files is certainly one of the all-time great TV series, but FOX is crazy to try to re-release them a third time around. Only those with deep pockets will buy an entire series box set, and most likely if they hadn't previously.

4. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

any word if this set will carry the extra disc from each season or if it's just the pointless "episodes only" sets, because sometimes you can get the episodes only sets for $20 at Best Buy. Add in the extra disc per season and I'm sold

5. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Judging by the info at TV Shows On DVD, it looks like they're going to include featurettes from the Mythology Sets. My guess (and nothing more than that) is that the set is going to have the same contents as the slim line sets, the anamorphic version of the movie and a bonus disc will have the Threads Of The Mythology featurettes on one disc.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=7821

6. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

awww, who cares then. Throw in the bonus disc for each season and it'll sell much more. Fox sets go on sale for $19.99 all the time

7. RyanAn

RyanAn Screenwriter

Sounds good, but dang I want the sets with the 7th disc. I need them!

8. david_hu

david_hu Stunt Coordinator

Up now for pre-order on Amazon for 230.99

9. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I am a big XF fan so I 'need' the bonus disc but unless you're a seriously die hard fan, I have to say that that there's nothing that great on the bonus discs for the price difference between the two sets.

Generally, the bonus discs have a featurette on the season, a look at the special effects, commercials for the episodes and the earlier seasons have the Chris Carter interviews from the VHS releases and the FX Behind The Truth spots. The best feature, by far, is the commentaries and those are on the slim sets.

And keep in mind, Fox hasn't said one way or the other if the bonus discs will be in the series set.

10. Aryn Leroux

Aryn Leroux Screenwriter

I remember reading that the bonus discs with extras that were in the first set releases were going to be exclusive to those big sets. Which makes me feel better about spending between $80 and $100 per season.

Things can change though, but this big complete set does nothing for me nor did the slimline sets. I really like the first releases that fold out across your entire room. It feels like your getting more, well i guess you are but you know what i mean ? ...

This is my alltime favorite show this release just doesnt look special at all. just repackaging of the slimline discs in a big box. It will take alot more than that to get me to rebuy. I am sure there will be another attempt down the road, perhaps on hd or bluray. But that better be something truly special for me to rebuy even then.

11. tjn007

tjn007 Auditioning

According to moviesunlimited there will be 61 discs in the Ultimate Set. If you do the math, the original season sets add up to 59 discs. If you include another disc for "Fight the Future" movie and one for the mythology extras it adds up to 61. So if I were a betting man, the Ultimate set will include the original extras. Unless of course they plan to remaster and distribute the material differently over the other 59 discs. I sincerely doubt it. Besides why would they call it the Ultimate Collection?

12. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

The Digital Bits is also confirming that the set WILL have the season set bonus discs. I have to say that it's pretty cool that Fox isn't leaving anything out from the season sets.*This will betray my obsessive nerdiness but I'll point out that there's 201 or 202 episodes- depending on how you count the series finale- and not 198. [​IMG]

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

13. Jeff#

Jeff# Screenwriter

The series finale originally aired on FOX as a 2 hour show, so it must be counted as one episode.

14. PaulP

PaulP Producer

So, essentially, a useless repackaging, if you have the original season sets and the movie - and, if obsessive enough, the Mythology sets.

15. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Yes but what about the comic book, art cards and poster for the movie? [​IMG]

16. pitt_norton

pitt_norton Auditioning

I don't have deep pockets and I haven't bought any previous versions but this seems like sealing the deal for me! I look forward to it.

17. Ron68

Ron68 Supporting Actor

I own the movie, Season one set with the bonus disc and the slimcase version of season 2, if I didn't own these already, I would have bought this new collection. I'm just going to buy the remainder of the series on the slimcase sets when they go cheap again.

18. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

If Fox ever releases these shows on Blu-ray they have a lot, and I do mean a lot, of work to make the 480i visual effects match the filmed portions.

In fact, if it was edited at 480i on tape they will have to re-scan the camera negatives and re-edit the entire series (with new SFX) in 1080p! Much like Seinfeld and Cheers, and any other filmed television series edited on NTSC tape.

The same holds true with most of the Star Trek TV shows, except for Enterprise, which I believe was the first Trek to be posted for HD.

Don't hold your breath for them any time soon.

19. Jeff#

Jeff# Screenwriter

Maybe it's because I haven't seen the Blu-Ray, but as with most people I really don't see the need to upgrade the standard definition DVDs of shows and films that I already have in my collection. That's because what I have already looks great as it is. It's an unnecessary extra expense to replace them.

20. Will_C

Will_C Second Unit

Will
    Never got around to collecting X-Files, though I enjoyed the series. I think this'll be a definite pickup for me. Glad to hear this set will have just about everything.