What's new

November 14th looks like a banner day for both BD and HD (1 Viewer)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Even though Casablanca is arguably the best movie coming out that day (and my favorite of the lot) I just don't feel a big pull to upgrade from the excellant 2 disc set from a couple years back. With Robin Hood, I felt the color would yield some more noticeable improvements along with the resolution boost, but with 1.33 B&W material, I think I may forego a lot of future upgrades, unless a some kind of restoration or 4K transfer is involved.

The one I'm most looking forward to on the 14th is Mutiny.
For some reason I always scoffed at the thought of this one being anything other than a glitzy, empty remake of the Gable/Laughton classic which I loved, but after catching a few successive viewings on the local PBS station a couple 3 or 4 years back, I developed a strong appreication for it, and at this point I think I may like this version best of all 'em.

I'm hoping PQ on this falls closer to the Grand Prix end of the spectrum than the Spartacus end. And if so, the tropical and sea based settings should provide for some wonderful eye candy.

I've got Forbidden Planet on order too and am contemplating ordering Kong even though I didn't care for it overall at the theater. There are passages I would love to see again though, but then the thought of aquiring any more discs destined for the 'demo material' pile leaves me looking for antacid tablets. I'm glad we are finally seeing good releases every week so the allure of purchases like that isn't as compelling as it once was.

Never had any interest in Waterworld, but with all the "you like it too?" comments I see, I think I'll finally give it a rent at least. Kind of intrigued now, actually.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I will most likely pick up Casablanca because the last time I purchused it, I bought it on LD. So even though its a 1.33 B&W movie I would be nice to have it on a single sided disc and a better transfer.

I could not find anything on DVD Planet, DVD Empire or DVD Town on X-Men 3 coming out on HD, I would say its nothing more than a rumor right now.

My HD Movie List as of Nov 14th

Blu-ray Movies:
11-14-06
Behind Enemy Lines (Fox), Black Hawk Down (Sony), Fantastic Four (Fox),
Kiss of the Dragon (Fox), The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (Fox),
The Omen 2006 (Fox), Speed (Fox), The Transporter (Fox)

11-21-06
Annapolis (Buena Vista), Casanova (Buena Vista), Enemy of the State (Buena Vista), Flightplan (Buena Vista), Ice Age: The Meltdown (Fox)
11-28-06
Superman II (Warner), Superman: The Movie (Warner), Superman Returns (Warner), Windtalkers (MGM)

12-05-06
Bulletproof MonK (MGM), Entrapment (Fox), Flight of the Phoenix (Fox)
From Hell (Fox), Pearl Harbor (Buena Vista), Rising Sun (Fox), Rocky (MGM)

HD-DVD:

11-14-06
Casablanca (Warner), King Kong (2005) (Universal), Mutiny on the Bounty (Warner), Waterworld (Universal)

11-21-06
Dr Seuss' How Grinch Stole Christmas (Universal)
You, Me and Dupree (Universal)

11-28-06
An American Werewolf in London (Universal), Dune (1985), The Mummy (Universal)

12-05-06
Miami Vice 2006 (Universal)

This does not include any title after 12-5 or other titles that are allready available on HD video. Dam the next year is going to be exspensive. :frowning: And some of the HD-DVD titles might get purchased on Blu-ray if they come out on that format before I purchase the HD-DVD.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
For those having doubts about Casablanca, remember that being able to devote the entire HD bitstream to just black and white, without dealing with color, had marvelous results on Good Night and Good Luck. This has the potential to be superb and I'm eagerly awaiting my review copy.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Haven't seen GNGL on HD yet, but have seen all the accolades for it so I'm sure your right. And if you don't already have the 2 disc dvd set, the HD DVD is an absolute no brainer. I'm in the middle of trying to finance a pj upgrade right now, so I have to start questioning every single software purchase from here on out for a while. Back in May I would have picked it up without hesitation.

over the course of the next few years, I would like to upgrade every movie I value- even if the HD DVDs seem to yield only marginal improvments, the space saved with the smaller, usually 1 disc cases, amounts to real estate that is valuable to me. not a small concern with a large collection.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Put me down for Kingdom Of heaven, Speed and The Fantastic Four that week with Ice Age 2 the next week after that.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

No official studio announcement yet, just rumors, but it seems likely. At 40.00 bucks, I will wait until the reviews show the quality of the release.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
smart of Fox to get that out if accurate- however I think the $40 tag is going to mute much of the enthusiasm for it- especially if many of those people have already picked up a $14 sd dvd of it.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

This pricing is a problem in both camps. I cringe at HD/SD combo's because of the 35.00 or 40.00 price tag, and do the same at Fox's 40.00 price tag. This is no way to break into the market place with a new format.

If this rumor if fact, I would have liked them to release 1 and 2 also, maybe as a boxed set, much the way Paramount did with MI.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy

Ain't that the truth! Prices over $30 will turn folks off as fast as flipping a light switch. It won't be easy to get 'em to look again either. At the local Busted Buy, Warner's Lake House is $38 on Combo and $35 on Blu-way. That just looks bad and is bad. It reminds me of blood letting......

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks