What's new

Notting Hill - HD DVD (1 Viewer)

Robert George

Screenwriter
I realize no one seems interested in actually discussing HD discs right now, but just in case there is someone out there who is either a fan of Notting Hill, or just a movie fan looking for an unusually well-written romantic comedy and ISN'T put off by Hugh Grant's schtick, Universal's HD DVD edition of this film has a lot to like.

The 1080p transfer holds up very well. I have had the 1080i D-Theater tape for a while and this new HD DVD appears to be from the same source master though the new VC-1 encode is visibly sharper with a bit more fine detail and a nice, smooth, film-like look. The production design has a more naturalistic look than the trend with many filmmakers these days. By comparison, the transfer may appear a bit bland at first, but if you are getting a little tired of the blown out whites, heavy filtering, and stylized lighting of so many recent films, the HD DVD edition of Notting Hill offers a pleasant visual respite. Combine the pleasing visuals of the film with the undeniable chemistry between Grant and the gorgious Julia Roberts then add screenwriter Richard Curtis' snappy dialog and you have one of the more entertaining two-hours you will find these days.

Universal has included most, if not all, of the supplements from the previous DVD special edition as well as a very nice sounding TrueHD track. One interesting note on the audio, the TrueHD track is the default audio. I don't recall this on any other HD DVDs in the past. Considering all players players of this format support TrueHD, I consider this the best way to author using this audio.

Grab a bag of popcorn and your sweetie and enjoy.

Brendon

Second Unit
Loved this film, as did my wife. Picked up the initial DVD issue and avoided the subsequent double and triple dips. However an HD upgrade may well be on the cards, especially given the "new VC-1 encode is visibly sharper with a bit more fine detail and a nice, smooth, film-like look" - sounds tremendous!

My wife and I can stand any amount of Grant's schtick. Now when's Two Weeks Notice coming out on HD?

Jesper

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jesper Nielsen
Thanks for info Robert. My copy has just been sent to me.. Can't wait.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
I got it in the mail last night. Popped it in for a moment and thought it looked and sounded quite good. I'm watching the whole film tomorrow.

Bob Black

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the review, Robert. Mine just shipped from amazon today via 2-day air, so I'll have it Wednesday! Along with Heroes, Blades Of Glory, The Hurricane and Dawn Of the Dead! What a great week! :)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I passed on this review due to being tied up with Heroes and Dawn of the Dead this week, but it's been sent in for another reviewer to check out!

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
Thanks for the review, Robert. I had my eye on this as a surprise birthday present for the wife, but wanted some feedback on quality before buying.

My wife has pointed out that although she watches other genres, she thought HD DVD was somewhat lacking in "chick flicks."

So she can look forward to this bundled with the french "Total Recall" (one of her favorites) for her birthday!

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Thanks for the info, Robert. I have this disk on-order but have not received it yet. My gal is looking forward to viewing it with me. It is a fav or hers. And when she's happy, I'm happy.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks