What's new

Nothing worse then being hit by an idiot with no insurance.. (1 Viewer)

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
It's my understanding that uninsured (and under) motorist coverage relates to bodily injury and not to property damage. If you carry collision coverage on your vehicle then your company will repair your car under that section of the policy.

Sounds like you got pretty lucky....you could have been smashed by an urban assault vehicle and gotten racked up pretty good.

Mort

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor

The wording in the policy. That may be different in another state. In California, uninsured motorist bodily injury is separate from uninsured motorist property damage and each are listed separately on the policy declaration page.

Mort

Travis Hedger

Supporting Actor

Isn't this always a bitch?

I was involved in an accident a few years back caused by a no inurance idiot, but I made out ok.

It broke down like this. I was heading to a friends house via a four lane street. A car in front of me in the left lane had stopped in order to turn left. I stopped behind him, another car, a Pontiac stopped behind me, and we were both just waiting for the car in front to turn, when we hear screaming rubber, I look up into my rear view to see this Ford Bronco plow into the ass end of the Pontiac and forced the Pontiac to just lightly tap my bumper on my then Dynasty. I got a small dimple dent in the plate, no biggie.

Police arrive and investigate. I hear them interviewing the driver and he has a suspended license and NO insurance. WTF, this means you are not allowed to drive, yet you do and cause other people problems!

Fast forward 6 months later, I get a bill in the mail for over $5,000 because someone screwed up the paperwork and transposed some names and addresses, but thankfully I got that fixed.

No insurance/suspended licensed drivers really, REALLY piss me off.

DavidofLondon

Stunt Coordinator
Just another story of lost insurance money to amuse you. A friend of mine arrived back from holiday and decided she needed to restock the kitchen with the basics. So she goes out to the road where her car should be parked. Its gone!!

She's standing there pondering what might have happened when a neighbour arrives and asks if she's looking for her car. The neighbour then proceeds to tell her the story of what happened.

Two elderly female sisters who live in the street had decided to go out in their car. The street is somewhat narrow and on this day as they're driving down they see the end of the road is blocked by the dustmen (trash collectors) and their lorry.

So these sisters put their car into reverse and start going back up the street. At this point another car comes into the street from the other end moving towards these two sisters.

This is where everything goes to pot. Instead of just stopping and waiting for the dustmen to depart the sisters seeing the car moving towards them panic. They slam the car into forward gear and move off at high speed, losing control of the car in the process they career into cars parked along the road and eventually crash into the back of the dustmen's lorry.

They managed to trash no less than six parked cars (including my friends).

The accident proves fatal for one of the sisters (not the driver). By the time my friend got back from her holiday the other sister (driver) had returned from the hospital and promptly locked herself into her house and refused to come out.

The police didn't want to prosecute as they felt the loss of her sister was enough punishment and after all she's an old lady.

The insurance companies said they couldn't claim against the ladies insurance details (which she wasn't providing) or police investigation. So all six people who lost their cars (plus the council who's dustcart was also damaged) had to pay themselves or lose their own insurance.

This with their cars legally parked!!

Colton

Supporting Actor
David, your story doesn't explain why your friends car was missing? Did it get towed away without her knowledge?

- Colton

DavidofLondon

Stunt Coordinator

After the whole mess the local council cleared the six trashed cars away and took them to a local impound lot.

Apparently they were so badly damaged the council felt that was safer than just leaving them on the street.

They would have all had petrol (gas) in the tanks so would be a fire risk if nothing else.

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
Was there ever a time when car insurance was not mandatory? If so, when did car insurance become mandatory?

Seriously, I would like to know. I am not sure?

P.S. This is a reason I would have a very difficult time buying any new really nice car. Not that I wouldn't want one. But, things like this are things to worry about. Not to mention the insurance is a huge fortune on a brand new car. It's bad enough on old cars.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I don't know Ryan, but I could swear when CO dropped the PIP requirement PIP coverage magically plummeted in cost :angry:

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
Its funny listening to the US folks complain about $1200.00 insurance rates.

If you guys are getting ripped off, we're just plainly getting violated. Imagine being a new driver around 18 years of age and because of your "risk group" having to pay $4000.00 - $6000.00 a year. That was a common scenerio for many, the Canadian insurance agencies were posting billion of dollars in profits while we all "by law" had to have this overpriced auto insurance scam. Its such a concern that in the province of New Brunswick auto insurance rates were one of the hot topics for the provincial election.

Finally, the government stepped in and said "this is enough gauging by you crooks, the Canadian people don't need to be ripped off like this" so rollbacks have started happening, at least here in Alberta.

The whole industry is a joke here - the rates, the injury lawyers, the courts and the cops. Its all about greed and making big money at the expense of the consumer instead of just simply coverage for an automobile accident.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
I was involved in an accident yesterday afternoon. A friend of mine and I were driving in his brand new Jeep Sport in my neighborhood. Being a Friday afternoon the traffic was pretty atrocious. We were travelling north on this road and the traffic was backed up coming the other way. A car had stopped in the southbound lane to let a car out of a side street to turn left. Instead of stopping to see if there was traffic coming from the other direction she just kept going and slammed into the side of my friend's new Jeep.

We pulled over and called the cops. The damage wasn't too bad and both cars were still driveable but it was still a pain in the ass. The other driver was cited for failing to yield while turning left. Thank God both drivers had full coverage insurance. Every thing was very civil and we even had a few laughs over it so, overall, it wasn't too bad for an accident.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I now have been on both sides of the fence.
About 10 years ago I was almost killed by drunken illegal aliens with no insurance. The driver just got sent back to Mexico and I had to sue my own insurance company for Pain and suffering. Considering I don't remember 2 years of life and just about lost everything it was a horrible experience.
A few weeks ago my wife got in a fender bender....that's when I found out we didn't have insurance for the past 6 months.
I have been commuting to LA for the past year during the week and my wife didn't pay the bill somehow....she insisted she did for weeks aand claims she never got a certified letter but after I put it in terms "we would have paid $1200 for the insurance and the accident cost $1100 - we are up $100" she dropped the arugment.
Yes we were very lucky this time

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks