What's new

Notable Releases for Q4 2004 - (time to make room on your DVD shelves) (1 Viewer)

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
I have to admit, one the better year for releases in a while. It looks like I'll be spending my Saturdays at Best Buy for those cheap new releases. Can't wait for the Godzilla picks.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
I've added the following releases:
  • Before Sunset
  • Code 46
  • De-Lovely
  • Philadelphia (2-Disc Anniversary Edition)
  • Wicker Park
  • Wild at Heart (Special Edition

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
van hesling doesnt deserve shit.. garfield did do better then most people expected.. its not like shrek 2 or anything like that. but did better then riddick and stepford wives.

however there is a biased attitude towards garfield on the net. that is why I have been promoting postive on the net. I take the reviews and stuff on the net about the garfield movie with a grain of sult.. for any parent that doesn't like shrek 2 or harry potter type movies.. its a perfectly good movies for the kids under 10.. which is not this crowd. or the reviews and other stuff for sure..

a least garfield gets a 2 disc special edition from the UK. which will be loaded with goodies including deleted scenes and how the made the film.

I am sure that you all would agree that universal has other movies besides van hesling that deserve better special edition dvd then VH. I sure hope so..

I didn't mean to crap on the thread.. I was just pointing out that you had not listed garfield. if you are going to list both good and bad movies like VH and catwoman etc? then garfield should be on the list!
there is my response!
JACOB

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
Seeing these lists makes me feel about half thrilled, and half overwhelmed. Lets see what I have comming up here...

9/7
Rounders SE
Strangers on a Train SE
Dial M for Murder
Yankeeography Vol 2
Clerks X
Best of Will Ferrell Vol 1-2
Best of Christopher Walken

9/21
Star Wars Trilogy

10/5
Aladdin
Shawshank Repdemption SE
Fahrenheit 9/11
Godfather Part II

10/19
Ed Wood

10/26
Doctor Strangelove

November 5
Shrek 2

11/16
ELF
Iron Giant SE
Aqua Teen Hunger Force Vol 2

11/23
Seinfeld Season 1, 2, 3

11/30
Spider-Man 2
Billy Madison/Happy Gilmore

12/7
Return of the King EE
Matrix Box Set
Batman Vol 2
Superman Vol 1

12/14
Heat SE

hmmmm...

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
I just saw that deepdiscountDVD is offering the upcoming release of Ragtime for only $9.36!

Even for a barebones DVD, this is a great price for such an excellent film.

If it sells well, maybe it will encourage a future SE version and possibly even the 3-hour Director's cut.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
I've added the following releases:
  • Andrew Lloyd Webber: Broadway Favorites (4-Disc Collection)
  • Around the World in 80 Days (2004)
  • Betty Blue (Unrated Director's Cut)
  • Bopha!
  • The Bourne Supremacy
  • Bridget Jones's Diary (Collector's Edition)
  • Dame Edna Experience: The Complete Collection (5-Disc Collection)
  • Facing Windows
  • The Fearless Vampire Killers
  • Festival Express (2-Disc Special Edition)
  • The Hole (Special Edition)
  • I'll Sleep When I'm Dead
  • King Arthur (Unrated Director's Extended Edition)
  • The Martin Scorsese Film Collection (5-Disc Box Set)
  • New York, New York (Special Edition)
  • Oliver Stone Collection (14-Disc Box Set)
  • Pee Wee's Playhouse: Christmas Special
  • Radio Flyer
  • Raging Bull (2-Disc Collector's Edition)
  • Raising Helen
  • Rocky Anthology (6-Disc Box Set)
  • Shrek: The Story So Far - Box Set (4-Disc Collection w/exclusive 'Shrek 2' Bonus Features Disc)
  • The UP Series: The Definitive Collection (5-Disc Collector's Edition Box Set)
  • W.C. Fields Comedy Collection (5-Disc Box Set)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Nils: THAT is some of the most exciting news I've heard in a long time! Ever since Martin Blythe announced that the title would be coming out this year...and even when pushed back to the 4th quarter....I've been waiting and waiting for this one! AND now to know its gonna be a great deal! AND I like your pattern of thinking about getting an eventual SE with the longer director's cut!

"You keep thinkin', Butch. That's what you're good at." :D

Nils: There were some questions earlier in the thread about the "mythical" Director's Cut of Ragtime. Did this play in the theaters? WAs it ever released on any home video format? What might you know about it?

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
Thanks for the list. I don't know how I'm going to pick up all the ones I'm interested in, but I'll figure it out somehow :). Along with some anime titles I've got around 30 dvds I want to buy before the end of the year. My wife is going to kill me...

I don't mean to polarize things, but I will say that since this list is becoming (has become?) somewhat comprehensive, Garfield probably should be included on the list. I'll probably end up buying it since my daughter enjoyed it, and I'm sure there actually are a number of HTFers who will as well. We might not be proud of it but....

GeorgePaul

Second Unit
Mike, if I'm not mistaken, a longer edition of Ragtime than the theatrical cut was shown on TV in its first airings in the 1980s and was available in syndication as well.

Why an SE isn't released of this in the first place is beyond me. Maybe Milos Forman just wants to be known as the director who had ALL his movies premiere on DVD bare-bones.

That's a joke...I hope.

Gordon St Pierre

Stunt Coordinator
How about adding Castle Keep WIDESCREEN :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: to the list ..announced for Nov 2 ...after the Huge mistake they made releasing this before in Fullscreen only

Fredric

Stunt Coordinator
DVD File has announced:

Dec 7: Jinxed!, Daddy's Dyin'...So Who's Got the Will?, Hi, Mom!, Out Cold, Hound of the Baskervilles, Young Doctors in Love, Smooth Talk and the Robert Englund horror remake The Phantom of the Opera.

I've been waiting for YDIL for a long time.

MattGentry

Second Unit
Right around 29 for me.

However, there are a lot I'm getting that aren't on that list. Mostly TV on DVD, but a good deal of films too.

I'm going to be broke...

T r o y

Supporting Actor
Does anyone know if the Dawn of the Dead Remake will have a DTS track on the R1 release ?

Thanks
Troy

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
There have been a few date changes, and the following releases have been added to the list:
  • Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy (Unrated Extended Edition)
  • Animal Farm (50th Anniversary Special Collector's Edition)
  • The Cure
  • Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice
  • D-Day To Berlin
  • The Door in the Floor
  • 5ive Days to Midnight (2-Disc Special Edition)
  • Forgotten Silver
  • George Stevens: A Filmmaker's Journey
  • Gunga Din
  • Hero (R1 Spectial Edition)
  • I Remember Mama
  • Ju-On: The Grudge
  • Luther
  • 'M' (Criterion Collection)
  • TCM Archives: The Buster Keaton Collection (2-Disc Set)
  • Zatoichi: The Blind Swordsman and Sonatine

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member

I guess you missed "notable" in the thread heading.
Which would clue you into the fact, that not all titles would be listed. As you can clearly see in other posts, people are requesting/asking for other titles to be listed as well. Without the histrionics!

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
That's A LOT of cash. I better start selling stuff, now!
The title I'm looking to see the most (NOTHING, against GWtW) is Hero. Glad to see there is already a great transfer out there. Now Miramax can release a superb one. Well, after the 'improvement' too KBII, I can hope can't I???

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks