What's new

Not very happy with SVS... (1 Viewer)

WayneO

Supporting Actor
Just to further reiterate, DVE's LFE track is 10db too hot with my system. You will want to use your receiver's test tones for the sub, or look to calibrate your sub at about 85dB with DVE, with the rest of your speakers at 75dB to have it calibrated flat.

Sebastian

Second Unit
Ron,

Only some DVE are (LFE) mastered wrong?
Well, thats sucks because I am one of the unlucky ones that have the bad version.
Is Kane fixing this by sending out new disc to people who have the bad one?
Sorry for the hi-jack but keep up the good work SVS!

Nick Breckon

Stunt Coordinator
Interesting. I wondered what was going on. My preferred subwoofer setting runs about 86db on DVE. At least, that's as high as I'm pushing it today. I may adjust it to more like 90 as I have some friends coming over tonight. The windows in my living room are bowing out during the pod race.. hallelujah!

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Nick you could use the THX Optimizer in a pinch and also compare it to your copy of DVE. It should give you a good idea anyway.

Ron Stimpson

Stunt Coordinator
Sebastian,

No I wouldn't say that either, it's just that running changes on DVD's are certainly possible, and I believe Ed mentioned he got his copy some time ago.

Anything is possible, but just put the possibility of a "too low" result in the back of your mind with DVE.

I think the jury is still out, so in the mean time we just want folks to know to try more than one calibration source if that's possible for them.

In the end, calibration is only a departure point for exploring the bass sound anyone might prefer.

Ron

RichardH

Supporting Actor
Here's a brilliant idea (maybe it's already been thought of).

SVS should make their OWN calibration DVD, strictly for audio. And make sure to take all the steps necessary to have every single calibration tone, etc. be CORRECT. I mean, this is pretty ridiculous that professionally mastered calibration DVDs would have ANYTHING wrong at all!!

Best part of the idea:

Every SVS sub purchase comes w/ the DVD free!!
(make it available separately at $20 for non SVS-owners, and maybe $10 for previous SVS buyers)

I'm sure it would cut down on CS calls related to calibration. What do you think??

Robert*S

Stunt Coordinator
Ha! The fun thing about SVS threads are the owners first impressions of their SVS subwoofers!! Soon I will be among the masses enthralled (or just plain in love) with an SVS subwoofer. Can't wait...

Nick - You have a copy of Star Wars Ep 1. in DTS?
As far as I know it is only in Dolby EX...

Sebastian - I also have a copy of DVE with the bad sub tones. I tend to use Sound & Vision Home Theater Tune Up for test tones and DVE (which in my opinion has a horrible menu system) for calibrating my RPTV.

rob.

Nick Breckon

Stunt Coordinator
Rob, I'm using a THX demo disc I bought on Ebay that offers the pod race in DTS or Dolby 5.1.

Arghh... I bottomed my PC+ tonight. :frowning:

I tried so hard to make sure it wouldn't happen, and I'm not sure what actually DID happen. Last night the SVS sounded unbelieveable.. just incredible. Jurassic Park was shaking the entire house. Earlier today.. it sounded a good deal more quiet. I have no idea why. The pod race was still excellent, but it wasn't "shake the house" type stuff, just more like "shake the windows in the room". Whereas certain parts were insanely loud last night, they were a medium "whoomp" this morning with similar settings.

Then, as I'm demoing the beginning of LOTR:EE, it bottoms out. I had the sub set to half gain, with +2 sub gain on the receiver and 5db lower than reference overall, and it bottomed out on the part where the Gondorian troops are marching - the very beginning of the battle. It didn't even wait until the ring drop - the troops were marching, boom, boom, and then it clacked. I'm very confused. Why would the sub bottom out here? Did I have the receiver gain too high? Would it make a difference if I had set my receiver's seperate channels higher than they were last night (i.e. I had set my surround speakers from around -3 to more like +8 - should I avoid calibrating too high like this, or is it all relative?)

Now, it may just be my head, but the PC+ sounds even less thunderous after the bottoming, and I'm very afraid to push it hard now. Could I have only slightly damaged the driver? Or is there no such thing - it either works well, or it doesn't work at all?

Argh. Maybe I'm just trying to squeeze too much out of it. I was trying to be so careful with it, but sometimes when you're in the heat of a scene, you really want to push it.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Nick, clearly, the sub is running too hot for your particular set-up and room environment.

Try to make sure these basics are covered first:

1) The sub is corner loaded near no open areas.

2) You picked a corner closest to the key listening positions.

3) You have experimented with the phase control and adjusted it for the most volume when running the sub calibration tone.

4) All ports are open and the tune switch is set to 20 Hz. There is absolutely no need to run the 20-39PC+ with a port plugged for lower extension; it digs to 17 Hz in most rooms with all ports open.

Ron has a very valid point that basic calibration is only a starting point.

The typical subwoofer calibration tone is a rumble centered at around 40-45 Hz. It is entirely possible you have a null at the listening position around that frequency, and you are calibrating the sub in that null. Doing so will result in the sub running far hotter (without your realizing it) at other deeper frequencies.

Running a basic frequency sweep of the room can tell you far more about what is happening with the bass than simply working off a single rumble tone. You can burn a CD with test tones and run a sweep at the seat with the RS meter and the correction factors and see how the room and the sub interact.

Go here for the test tones:

http://beyond_gomer.tripod.com/

It is also possible your taste for bass and your enthusiasm got the better of you and you simply pushed a single Plus sub too far. It is a very powerful sub (as you now know), but it has limits - it's simply a matter of physics. You might be a good candidate for a PB2+ based on what I'm reading into your statements about wanting to pressurize the windows, walls, and entire house and really wow your friends.

Regards,

Ed

Niko Nykanen

Stunt Coordinator
I received my PC+ 16-46 today and have been playing with it the whole evening. I haven´t stressed it yet but i´ve already been stunned by it´s performance.

When Sauron farted in the prologue of FOTR I was transported back to the full packed theater where I saw it the first time. The bass was INSANE!!
Thank god! SVS Delivers/Rules!!!

The new DVE has a sweep from 15hz up to 150hz. I ran it at about -20dB (with a H/K avr-507LE) and instantly I could hear the windows rattling in my bedroom. Just speechless!

The Iron Giant SE (from Korea) knocked my socks off, worse than with my last sub. The steps of tIG running to jump into the pool were so loud that I got my x:th adrenaline rush mixed with pure fear. Fear of the neighbors kicking in the door and making me a meatloaf out of me.

And this is after playing it for 6 hours.

Me = Happy

Thank you SVS for this fantastic Sub. (Even though I paid for it ;))

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Update: My SVS PC1 20-39 finally showed up today. Its taller than my main L/R speakers with stands! The girlfriend wasn't impressed.

Me: Ok, done.

Her: It doesn't sound any different. What a waste of $600

Me: Honey, Days of Our Lives isn't really wellknown for being a subwoofer-killer. Put it on MTv and check again.

My favorite moment so far was when testing The Matrix. Ch.15 when Neo fights Morpheus and Morpheus's foot go's through the floor. I actually got up because I thought someone slammed the front door! :eek: This is the greatest improvement in my HT ever!:)

Too bad LOTR:FOTR:EE sounds like it has too-much bass during the prologue:frowning: Otherwise the movie soundtrack kicks-ass.

Now I have to rent Underworld and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen again.........

Robert*S

Stunt Coordinator
I just got my tracking info for my 22-31 PCi!! My wife asked me why I smiling like the chesire cat, when I told her my sub shipped today she just rolled her eyes! :D

Garrett - my wife pulled the same thing when I upgraded from an Aiwa receiver and speakers (crap, but it was my first 5.1 set up) to a Pioneer receiver and JBL speakers. After a day or two she then mentioned that the new set up sounded much, much better. So give her time and she will see the light!

rob.

JohnnyN

Stunt Coordinator
ARGH!!!! I'm still waiting for my first impression... calling once a week and it's the same story... It really is great that the support from all the loyal owners is pouring out, but after a month of waiting, I keep hoping that it's gonna be any day now... I couldn't have picked a worse time to order... I keep telling myself it'll be all worth it once the darn thing arrives...

John Wielgosz

Stunt Coordinator
Well, got my 16-46 PCi today. Arrived home from work around 10:00 (bloody second shift...), unboxed, connected, and dialed it in to a flat 75db at reference. My brother was watching my 'Family Guy' Volume 1 set and I immediately heard a vast improvement in bass definition. From a 2.0 animated TV show at that! Seriously, a bass guitar in one portion of the score was far more prominent in extension than anything I heard out of my system.

I did some further tweaking and slapped in 'Matrix' for good 'ol Chapter 29. By this time it was around 12:15 am. I've previously been able to play my system at reference level without disturbing anyone in their bedrooms.

Not anymore. Not FIVE SECONDS after the lobby fight begins, I get a blast of 'TURN IT DOWN!!!' :frowning:

Now I have to come up with a quick way to handicap the sub after certain hours (I'd rather not be adjusting the level all the time).

But still, WOW. My initial settings were hot (6 db over reference), and the SVS still played it tight.

I don't think I'll have to turn on my bass shakers ever again, heck, the system sounded BETTER with them off, their lack of subtlety really stood out against the SVS's fidelity.

When morning breaks, it's demo time. I've got a stack of DVDs, LDs, SACDs, and CDs just waiting to see what the 16-46 is made of.

Ron Stimpson

Stunt Coordinator
JohnnyN,

Indeed, it was just bad timing. We do major runs of models as we clear the line from something else (imagine a string of PB2-Plus subs side by side running from one end of a 7,000 main assembly floor to the other).

What's coming now? Yours. We're assembling your long delayed PB1-ISD today. It should go out today or tomorrow probably.

And it WILL be worth the wait, I promise.

JohnW,

As you probably know 6dB hot is OK at moderate playback levels, but since it's really more like 9dB hot actual (given the loss of sensitivity in most SPL meters with low frequencies) it's key to keep your calibrations in check as you start to press the sub's limits. It's not easy to bottom any SVS, but the 16-46 will let you know if you are too agressive, in a nice way. BE the sub, and it'll take good care of you. It'll soon be like you are watching movies for the first time. Clean bass in the first octave will do that.

Ron

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
I know you hear it from everyone here including myself... waiting is the hardest part but I waited over 6 months for the PB2+ when it was announced and well worth the wait. Its easy now to sit here and tell you this as I know its hard to wait and every day your checking for the delivery schedule. Don't feel bad alot of us have been there doing the same thing. Just know that once you get your SVS you'll be pleased and never want a different brand of sub again!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks