What's new

Not sure about buying Knights of the Old Republic (1 Viewer)

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
Well, sorry to poo on the parade but this game just isn't my cup of tea (or glass of scotch). Perhaps it's because I have the attention span of a knat but this is too involved for my tastes. That said I am astonished at the level of care and detail that has gone into this game. It makes my head swim thinking of all the details BioWare had to manage!

So, I'm going to have to be the only one here who is offering to sell his copy. It's brand new circa yesterday with just a few hours on it. I'll sell it for US$49.99 (the new price) but I'll pick up the shipping charges in continental North America. If anyone is interested please e-mail me at [email protected].

Scott Varney

Agent
It's... OK. The combat system in RPGs just doesn't work for me... skill doesn't really come into play, it's almost luck (this coming from someone who isn't that great at games anyway). Sure, there's strategy involved, but a roll of the virtual dice still determines the outcome.

I enjoy the problem solving aspects. The story seems really cool. It'll keep me interested coming back for more... though I can't guarantee I'll finish the game.

Brion Lydon

Stunt Coordinator
Get this game now! I picked it up today and have played it for three and a half hours so far. I am addicted to this game. By far the best Star Wars game released in my opinion.

Damian James

Stunt Coordinator
Excellent game. It does take heavily from D&D, and it reminded me a lot of Neverwinter Nights. I just finished it last night... Going back now and playing it as a purely dark side character.

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
I also was considering returning the game, as I wasn't sure if it would be something I would enjoy. I haven't opened my copy yet, and a friend of mine purchased one as well. I got to watch him play for quite a while, but still was unsure about playing an RPG again. When I was younger, I LOVED them and played "Phantasy Star" (all of 'em), "Y's", and "Final Fantasy VII" to death. However, I haven't played an RPG since. Then came "Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance" for the Xbox. I realize that it's an action RPG, but I bought it at Best Buy for $8.00. I finished it last night, and I can honestly say that it is the best game I've played since "Splinter Cell." Great graphics, sound, control, story, etc. It really got me back in the RPG mood which I'm sure will help me enjoy "Knights of the Old Republic" that much more.

Scott Varney

Agent
Skill comes into play a great deal, actually. Some battles require a lot of strategy.
I'm differentiating between skill and strategy. While I don't doubt strategy comes into play during most battles, the outcome is still decided by a roll of the dice. A lot of it is chance.

I would almost compare it to blackjack... there are very specific strategies that may put the odds in your favor; but, the final outcome is more or less luck.

EdR

Second Unit
I'm also in Scott's situation. I'm bored by RPGs, and even though this subject matter seems like it would be interesting, I strongly suspect that the game will bore me like every other RPG.

Joe6pack99

Second Unit
Real Name
Jarett
This game has so much replay value its stagggerin. From the complete customization of your character to goin light or dark god.....hell i'm savin at the jedi academy just so i can try all the classes lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks