Not just 3D, is Blu-ray media dying?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Paul Hillenbrand, May 2, 2014.

1. Paul Hillenbrand

Paul Hillenbrand Screenwriter

Paul Hillenbrand
  2. Billy Batson

Billy Batson Cinematographer

Alan
    I don't know about dying, it's struggling, but then all physical media is. It's a brave new world a'coming!

3. Jari K

Jari K Producer

"Steve Jobs famously called the format a "bag of hurt." Not sure why this is in the title? Blu-ray was introduced in 2006. That's 8 years ago. Is the point in the article that Blu-ray has been "bag of hurt" 8 years now, or are we talking about the current situation where the physical media is having a hard time?

4. Paul Hillenbrand

Paul Hillenbrand Screenwriter

Paul Hillenbrand
    Personally I've always loved the reliability of Apple products, but ever since Steve Jobs decided to refuse to acknowledge Blu-ray media there has been a sore spot festering in my feelings for the company.

joshEH and MatthewA like this.
  5. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    The current market is as follows:

New release titles on Blu-ray sell really well
    Catalog titles, with very few exceptions, are a niche market

That really sums it all up.

dana martin and Persianimmortal like this.
  6. LouA

LouA Screenwriter

Lou Antonicello
    I love the quality of Bluray and I also buy a lot of DVDs particularly old tv shows. So for me there's room for both , but I wonder if having 2 such physical media formats is hurting both of them . Just a thought .

Osato likes this.
  7. Ejanss

Ejanss Banned

EricJ
    In 2006, Blu-ray WAS a big whopping Bag O' Hurt. (Although I got in early with a PS3, and never had to wait 30 minutes for Pirates 2 to load.)
    It was Jobs' response at the time to why Apple didn't immediately leap on the Flashy New Trend on day One and make Blu drives standard on all iMacs, when even the standalone players couldn't get their act together for another two to three years.
    And if a columnist has to dig up '06 comments about Blu-ray for appraisals of the '14 Blu industry, he's gonna pull a few arm tendons there reaching. :rolleyes: I know some kids in second grade who are younger than that quote.

And I'm not sure why Sony's blaming Blu and 3D, when they already have the PSVita, the Playstation 4, too much 4K development for the industry's own good, and the fact that they haven't had a franchise or breakout movie hit in seven years. (It might, er, help if they stopped trying to push Resident Evil sequels as their own private action label, and it doesn't look like Spiderman's going to continue to be a longterm investment.)

8. Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby Screenwriter

Keith Cobby
    I agree deep catalogue blu-ray is niche which is why TT etc need our support. I give the format 5 years by which time I hope the films I want are out. I won't be streaming but my son probably will.I accept that streaming is the future even if the quality is diminished. Audio downloads trade quality for convenience and it will be the same for video files. There is no chance of packaged media for 4K, there simply won't be the demand. Blu-ray is the end of the road, enjoy it while it lasts!

9. Jari K

Jari K Producer

"And I'm not sure why Sony's blaming Blu and 3D."Are they? The article has a few quotes and then some random speculation and old "war stories" from 2006. After 8 years some people say: "See, I told ya! It has been dying from 2006!"?Too late. Blu-ray didn't die. If it "dies" now (whatever that means, in 2015? In 2020?), it'll be in the same boat as the rest of the physical media. In that situation it's hard to put the blame on BD."Blu-ray is the end of the road, enjoy it while it lasts!"You've a point there. BD will be the last real physical media for films/tv/etc.

10. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    The PS4 has been a HUGE success for Sony so far. It's selling like gangbusters. And Vita is doing pretty well, too. Unlike with the initial PS3 sales, the video games division of Sony is doing really well right now.

What has been bleeding the company the last few years is the other hardware electronics, especially TVs. They've gone a long way to correct and minimize that, but it put them in a huge hole.

You are correct in that the feature film division needs a new franchise to latch on to, too. That's why their trying to spin-off the Spider-Man films into the Sinister Six, among other projects.

11. bluelaughaminute

bluelaughaminute Stunt Coordinator

Ernie
    I do hope that rather than let the format die out that independent labels like Twilight Times may persevere with releasing catalogue titles even at inflated prices .
    If getting our favourite films in HD means returning to pricing similar to the days of Laserdisc then so be it.

As things stand now downloading is not an option and the very least I would expect with a downloaded purchase would be the ability to transfer it from one device to another and with catalogue titles I can't see why studios would resist that .

Ken Volok likes this.
  12. EddieLarkin

EddieLarkin Supporting Actor

Nick
    2014 looks set to be the best year catalog Blu-ray has ever had, in terms of quantity of high quality titles:

Jacques Demy Box Set
    Walerian Borowczyk Box Set
    White of the Eye
    Performance
    Alain Robbe-Grillet Box Set
    Sullivan's Travels
    Foreign Correspondent
    Chris Marker Short Films Collection
    Werner Herzog Box Set(s)
    Spirited Away
    Persona
    The Freshman
    Chaplin Mutual Collection
    Mack Sennett Blu-ray Collection Vol. 1
    Red River
    All That Heaven Allows
    It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World
    The Burbs
    The Time Machine
    Sorcerer
    Touch of Evil/Double Indemnity
    3D Rarities Collection
    Rabid Dogs
    The Andy Griffith Show
    Marty
    Witness for the Prosecution
    Rodgers and Hammerstein Collection
    Point Blank
    I Love Lucy
    The Honeymooners
    Rollerball
    The Swimmer
    The Train
    The Cabinet of Dr Caligari
    Twin Peaks
    Batman
    A Hard Day's Night
    Gilda
    The Lady from Shanghai
    A boat load of Godzilla films!
    Kindergarten Cop!!!

And I know I've missed plenty!

If that's "Blu-ray dying" then I think we'll be fine for a while yet.

Ken Volok likes this.
  13. Billy Batson

Billy Batson Cinematographer

Alan
    Yup, I agree with Eddie. It's been an excellent year for catalogue releases, & we're only five months in.

14. Ejanss

Ejanss Banned

EricJ
    Also forgot, if this was '06, think the quote would've been Jobs' response to industry frustrations of why Apple (and his new stake in Disney) were supporting Blu in the Blu-vs-HD war--since HDDVD would have given Microsoft the monopoly on movie coding, whereas Blu could be adapted to Apple's existing MP4--but seemed to be staying out of the hardware wars as conscientious objectors...Rather than give us the big news everyone was waiting and hoping for, ie. that Steve had "blessed" Blu by bringing in the new Apple killer-app that would win the war overnight.
    As Steve pointed out back then, the format was more trouble than it was worth until it matured, which, chicken-or-egg, wouldn't be until after it had won the war.

What this all has to do with Sony's overextended hardware troubles or the current state of catalogue, only the columnist knows for sure....I think. :wacko:

15. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

Filmack.jpg

ahollis, phillyrobt and Stephen_J_H like this.
  16. bluelaughaminute

bluelaughaminute Stunt Coordinator

Ernie
    I had read that the UK was the country in Europe where Bluray was selling best of all yet there are some Hollywood titles that have been released in Europe or elsewhere first and in some cases the UK misses out altogether.
    Thank heaven for being multi region.
    ITV who own a mountain of classic titles including ITC movies like Raise the Titanic have licenced them to other countries who have had some titles for 3 or 4 years while UK releases remain absent and in some cases when they do come out ITV even licence them out here.
    ITV's drama tv shows like Lewis and others get Bluray releases in the US but only dvd in the UK where it does seem obvious that ITV have practically given up on Bluray here.

Quite a few high profile BBC tv shows broadcast in HD also only get dvd releases.
    The BBC have already ditched 3D and Bluray is not far behind

Keith Cobby likes this.
  17. Worth

Worth Screenwriter

Nick Dobbs
    Judging solely by some of the titles that are released there, Germany must have the best blu-ray sales of any country. How else to explain blu releases of obscurities like The Naked Face and The Concorde Affair?

Osato likes this.
  18. Eric Vedowski

Eric Vedowski Second Unit

Eric
    Sony is crying but Starz Home Entertainment reports "Home video sales increased approximately 14% to $56.7 million, from $49.8 million a year ago." Also "Starz Distribution credited strong packaged media sales of content from the The Weinstein Co., original content from Anchor Bay Home Entertainment, and third parties content."
    Sony has a lot of problems-a trashed reputation for hardware would be one.

Osato likes this.
  19. Dale MA

Dale MA Screenwriter

Dale
    Yeah, I've begun to look at Germany as a source for BDs.

To be honest, it's not the death of Blu-ray that worries me, it's more the thought that this is the death of physical media. There's also no decent replacement for it via digital means either. iTunes looks average in quality and you only "kind-of" own it once you've bought it, however the content pretty much dies with you. Netflix seems like the "go to" choice, however that's just rental at the end of the day, no ownership. I also kinda hate the idea that the average joe can access the exact same number of movies as us movies buffs, but that's the snob in me. ;)

Here's a question, if Sony "pulled the plug" on Blu-ray would that mean the end of the format? I mean would other studios/independent labels be able to continue to release content on BD? Or do Sony have complete control of the format? I've never really looked into it and would be interested to know.

Also it's quite interesting that in the comments of that Verge article, the conversation has quickly turned to piracy. These people don't even want to pay for Netflix or an iTunes download. There's a thin line there, I think, and by that I mean that I think a large portion of the people who want BD "die", and for downloads/streaming to reign supreme, are also some of the people who are pirating movies. So you would think that the film industry would be a little more wary of a digital future. There's not much difference between a pirated digital file and a purchased one. However there's quite a massive difference between a pirated file and a Blu-ray Disc - one gives you the real sense of OWNERSHIP and I feel that's a good thing for both customer and studio.

Osato likes this.
  20. cinerama10

cinerama10 Second Unit

peter
    With redray now being used for filming some movies and the new televisions that will able to play redray on the horizon,it is no wonder that bluray will die out and be replaced.