What's new

Not a STAR WARS fan, but WOW The Phantom Menace is tight!! (1 Viewer)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I don't think Jar Jar was made to make the film funny, but he was annoying. Even so, he is a VERY important character, and I am happy that Lucas put him in there.
I think you need to take into context Episode 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 to really enjoy Episode I. There are a lot of little things that hint at events (later in the film or later in the series). I personally found it entertaining and enjoyable. It really was different from the other movies, and for quite obvious reasons. I don't think the writing was bad, but rather that Lucas was trying to just set up Episode II (which is supposed to be more action oriented and more in the style of Empire Strikes Back).
Think of it like this: A New Hope was good, but without it, The Empire Strikes Back wouldn't have been as good as it was. A New Hope more sets up the next two films more than it acts as a movie. The same thing is going on with Episode I.
Even if it was great, it was good.

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
I'm a HUGE Star Wars fan and I can say I really enjoyed the movie. What makes it so enjoyable is that I know the story so well. And being able to go back in time like that, see what things were like before the Empire took over, is simply fasinating to me.
My only gripe is that with Dark Maul... I was hoping he'd be next Boba Fett, unfortunatley, his role is over much to soon.
Finally, I actually laugh everytime Jar Jar goes numb from the pod racer.
Mike D.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Anakin is often the weak link, especially in the fighter. "Let's go left... I'll try spinning" were very poor scripting choices to explain his survival. Better would have been showing him to have some innate abilities to avoid the fire. I personally would have been overjoyed if they cut most of his dialogue and had a reaction shot from one of the Naboo pilots saying "That unknown fighter is drawing all of them away. That must be some pilot." Anything to show his early use of the force to survive. Instead, we have to conclude that it was all luck. Throw us a bone here.
__________________________________________________ _________
Regardless of what you think of Jake Lloyd's acting here, which was fine IMO,I thought the whole point of these scenes was to show his innate abilities to avoid the fire, and destroy the Trade Federation battleship, in the same way that Luke was able to destroy the Death Star. Lucas even makes a point about the intended similarities in the documentary.
The difference is Luke was much older and would obviously act in different way to a nine year old kid. I don't think the dialogue is poor, as it is a child who is reacting, and not a young man like Luke is in ANH. Also you knew in ANH that Luke was being guided by Ben, whereas Anakin didn't have any guidance, and therefore had no idea that he was "using the Force" so to speak.

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
My favorite part of the DVD is in the documentary... where they had a kid who could actually ACT trying out for the Anakin role... and they passed on him and picked Jake Lloyd. BLECH! Where's Haley Joel Osment when you need him?
That being said, I've watched SW:TPM three times now at near reference levels just for shits and giggles, 'cause it vibrates me in all my naughty nether regions.
laugh.gif

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I really wonder what it was like to work with a kid such as Jake Lloyd considering he's a spoiled rotten brat - from what I've heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks