What's new

Not a STAR WARS fan, but WOW The Phantom Menace is tight!! (1 Viewer)

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
I must confess I was not a fan of the previous Star Wars movies. And as a result I had no interest in purchasing The Phantom Menace. Things changed when a friend brough it over. I really enjoyed the movie with the exception of the over the top antics of Jar Jar Binks. Absent that I couldn't find a flaw in the movie. The extras are great and I believe it to be one of the best DVD packages overall.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
I'm glad you liked the movie.
I, on the otherhand, thought there was almost nothing but problems. I used to love Star Wars, however...
frown.gif

Dan
------------------
Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
There must be a lot of other people in the same boat as you (those that hated the film but after seeing the DVD, changed their minds and want it). I agree that the package is my favourite. There are some movies that may have more extras etc, but the presentation is totally complete here.
------------------
Link Removed
------------------
My Favourite DVD's

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
I've never saw TPM before, so I had to borrow a friends DVD. I must say that the DVD is very good. A very nice package.
However, I have to say that the actual film was terrible. As annoying as Jar-Jar was, he was only a small part of the problem. The writing was simply terrible, and because of this - every character in this movie felt like a robot.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
"The writing was simply terrible, and because of this - every character in this movie felt like a robot."
Marc,
I agree...I didn't think it was the actors' fault. The lines were horrible!

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I must confess here, I will NEVER understand the negative criticism toward 'TPM'!
confused.gif

At the risk of getting my ass flamed into the ground, just once I would like a 'Star Wars' fan to just say flat out, that he/she wouldn't have been happy with ANY film that dares to call itself a 'Star Wars' film.
They hold those three films in such high regard, that it's pretty much rendered impossible for a filmmaker to come up with a film they would consider worthy of being part of it.
The film is clearly a perfect fit in the series IMHO.
Please don't hurt me. :)
------------------
God bless the USA and the men and women of our military and their families!

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I'm a HUGE Star Wars fan. I was five when A New Hope (1977) came out and played with the action figures for years until I was 21 - just kidding. :) I saw each of the original films countless times in the theaters and on VHS.
I thought Phantom Menace was *pretty* good. But, the style of the movie was, in fact, different than the original three. I didn't think Phantom Menace allowed you to appreciate or captivate the essence of each character to the point you were able to with the original movies. Furthermore, I thought Phantom Menace didn't 'flow' as well. I thought the film was just a bit too choppy. (Maybe excessive CGI is part of the reason?). Each scene in the original three movies was more slower (better paced) and a bit easier to appreciate and digest. Phantom Menace failed to capture this. However, movies are products of the times/culture, and things are different today than they were 20+ yrs ago.
I'm trying to be objective in my criticism here and am considering that I was so young when I first fell in love with the original films. However, there IS a difference between the original and Phantom Menace.
With all that being said, I think the Phantom Menace DVD is outstanding and I am COMPLETELY satisfied with the video, audio and extras. Looks very nice on my 61" Sony! "A" quality all the way around. Lucas came all the way through on this one as far as I am concerned.
[Edited last by Dave H on November 04, 2001 at 10:52 PM]

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I liked the movie (saw it three times myself) and bought the DVD, but I agree that there are problems.
There is no comic timing, which makes Jar Jar's scenes all the worse. Comic scenes last waaaay longer than they should and ruin any of the humor (which is telegraphed). Watch the part with Jar Jar's tongue in the pod racers beam to see one of the worst examples. And I know Lucas can do this well, as a New Hope had some great comic timing.
Many scenes last longer than they should, damaging their impact. In addition, the underwater scenes are devoid of danger for some reason. I can only attribute this to the actor's lack of involvement.
Anakin is often the weak link, especially in the fighter. "Let's go left... I'll try spinning" were very poor scripting choices to explain his survival. Better would have been showing him to have some innate abilities to avoid the fire. I personally would have been overjoyed if they cut most of his dialogue and had a reaction shot from one of the Naboo pilots saying "That unknown fighter is drawing all of them away. That must be some pilot." Anything to show his early use of the force to survive. Instead, we have to conclude that it was all luck. Throw us a bone here.
It's important to not that there are many things I loved, and still love, about Episode 1. I love Amidala, both the vocal choices and the costumes. It just seems regal and correct. The two key pieces (the pod race and the Duel of the Fates) are near perfect. The only change would have been to have one more short fight sequence after Obi Wan exits the pit. I liked the basic political storyline, and the reason behind the entire series of events.
I can honestly say that this is the most flawed of the films (and deserving of much but not all of the criticism), but it has enough going right with it that it still makes a worthy entry. I hope that Ep II is a positive step.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
They hold those three films in such high regard, that it's pretty much rendered impossible for a filmmaker to come up with a film they would consider worthy of being part of it.
It's very sad that people are so willing to settle for mediocrity. Was it really THAT much of a Herculean task to match Empire Strikes Back in quality? For Lucas, I guess it was, especially since he decided he didn't need anyone's help making the film.
------------------

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I would have to say that charactor wise, my favorites are definatly Queen Amidala, Qui Gon Jinn, Liam Neeson really infused that charactor with a very wise quality that I loved, Darth Maul of course was simply a bad mother fucker, and Obi Wan, casting Ewen McGregor was a master stroke, he REALLY does seem like a younger version of Alec Guiness!
I love the little things Obi Wan does, like during the 'Duel of the Fates' battle when Darth Maul uses the force to throw that object at the control panal to open the door, Obi Wan can be seen briefly walking casually into frame, twirling his lightsaber, I love that shot because it really shows the Jedi in their prime.
------------------

Gruson

Second Unit
Great movie.
It does not compare to the original triogy though.
I have some issues with the DVD though. Some scenes look great but there is WAY TOO much EE (edge enhancement) on some others. I mean, look at those halos!!!
The sound is very good but I still find the LD to be better.
I have really enjoyed this DVD.
------------------
Equipment:
Mitsubishi 65907 65" HDTV ISFd Steve Martin
Yamaha RX-V1000 6.1
Paradigm PW2200
Paradigm Studio CC
Paradigm Studio 40s
CV LS-15s
CV LS-8s
Toshiba 6200 Progressive
Pioneer CLD704 LD
Aura Bass Shakers
1080i DirecTV
See it:
Link Removed

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Robert, yes but this is only the first step in a journey that will, mark my words, get more dark and intense as the series progresses. Sure this film was light and fluffy, but it HAD to be to contrast what's coming, the rise of the galactic empire.
'TPM' takes place during a time when the galaxy was a much lighter and happier place, BEFORE the empire squeezed the life out of everything. That's THE reason I feel that their is really nothing wrong with this film, it's light tone is perfect.
I just will continue to trust that George knows what he's doing with the series, and by the time 'EP III' is over, the series will flow very nicely together, you'll see.
------------------

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I just will continue to trust that George knows what he's doing with the series, and by the time 'EP III' is over, the series will flow very nicely together, you'll see
Yes John, we will see :)
The only problem is....even if the next two films ARE good (and there's no guarantee they will be), that will do NOTHING to change TPM's mediocrity. In fact, far from somehow "rubbing off" goodness onto TPM, they would make it seem that much WORSE, as in "why the hell didn't you do this before, Lucas?".
------------------

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
For those looking for a cookie cutter version of Star Wars, all you need do is look at the extras. Lucas clearly states he was going for something different than the previous movies.
BTW did anybody else notice one of the people on the supplemental disc looks like he could be related to the WWF's Hunter Hearst Hemsley?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Going against the grain of general opinion, I will join those posting here that are brave enough to admit that they enjoy this film.
It's good.
Is it as good as TESB? Nah. Not even as good as ANH. But it kick's RotJ's ass. I enjoyed it on opening day in theaters, and I enjoyed it the 2nd time I watched it, on DVD. The problems with Jar Jar are there, but exaggerated.
I didn't have a problem with Jake Lloyd at all. He's okay. I think folks actually TRY to find fault with him where there isn't much. I mean, think about it: half the complainers say he's a "robot", the other half say he's TOO emotional ("Yippee!"). I think he's actually in the middle ground...and quite good enough for the role. My main complaint about Anakin is that he doesn't show enough foreshadowing of the things to come. Perhaps that was by design...maybe Lucas wanted to reinforce that he's a good apple gone bad.
As far as it goes, I have to agree that this episode appeals more to young kids than the other 3 do. How do I know? Firsthand experience: my 3-year-old son keeps asking to watch it. He woke up this morning, in fact, and asked for it instead of the customary Transformers, Scooby-Doo, Thomas, or Underdog DVD's. :) He can't get into any of the 3 in the first trilogy, yet he asks for TMP again and again. I know he'll appreciate the others as he grows up, but it's pissing me off in the meantime!
eek.gif

------------------
DAVE/Memphis
TV-DVD.jpg

MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!
Do you like TV on DVD? Then check THIS out!
.....http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/.....

Martin A

Auditioning
I have to say that I loved the original trilogy and also thought TPM was great. No other film I've seen (excluding the originals) has been able to its job so well which is take you to another world every detail includes such imagination.
As for the plot I think it also has its limitations but it was definately not a film to be looked at by itself. There were lots of different chracters and ?politics? introduced that I'm sure will fit into a larger picture.
Even in the film there were scenes that seemed stilted and unnecessary but when the film was done on second viewing these made sense.
Yes I still hate Jar Jar but I have a feeling well see less of him in the sequels. Hell mabye I'm giving George undue credit and he'll be added in the original trilogy.
As for the DVD I'll still wait for the full set in 2006(man thats a long wait).
Martin

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
Like many of you, I was raised on the original Star Wars trilogy and loved it. When TPM came out, I have to admit I was not thrilled. Not that I thought it was a bad movie, I merely thought it was mediocre. I saw it just one time in the theater.
I've been on the fence in terms of whether to purchase the DVD. Last week, my cousin bought TPM on DVD and brought it over. After watching it a second time, for some reason I enjoyed it so much more! I'm sure the sound had something to do with that (think "pod race"). After seeing it the 2nd time, I bought it and have not regretted it. I enjoyed the movie, loved the sound, and even enjoyed the video quality despite crazy levels of EE.
Additionally, I just couldn't imagine owning part of the series (when George Lucas releases the original trilogy, probably sometime in 2036) but not all of it!
------------------
Link Removed

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I actually liked Jar Jar. The only thing that irks me about the film is some of the dialogue (all of Jake Lloyds)...
"Let's try spinning. That's a good trick. Woah" all the while, you have 3 ships on your tail waiting to blow you up.
"Yippee!!!" I felt like strangling him on that one.
"Now that's podracing!"
"The crowd goes nuts" said by the 2 headed announcer on Tatooine.
Cut out those little pieces (about 20 seconds or so) and this movie moves up from a 9 to a 10 for me.
------------------
Link Removed
------------------
My Favourite DVD's

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I thought the movie was mediocre when I saw it on opening day. My second viewing was last week after getting the DVD. I have to say, I enjoyed this movie a great deal on second viewing. It's very concentrated, and a bit much to take in on the first viewing.
------------------
Philip Hamm
AIM: PhilBiker

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks