What's new

Norton rebates returned (1 Viewer)

David_Jr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I purchased a laptop this summer at Best Buy including Norton Internet Security for $69.99. The NIS came with 2 rebates: 1 for $40 & 1 for $20. This week I got two seperate postcards from Symantic stating that they could not honor my rebate request. On the first one they said that my purchase was not made during the specifice dates required for the rebate and I didn't submit the proper UPC. The second one said that I did not submit a proper UPC. I am CERTAIN that I filled out the rebates properly, I even cut the package to bits to include all of the parts they were asking for. I even had a cooworker check my work. I am outraged:angry: . Is this Best Buys fault? Should I go to them to complain? Or should I try to complain to Symantec? Has anyone else ever run into this? What should I do? $60 is a lot of money that could be spent on important things like DVDs. Thanks for any help.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Thanks. Now you have me worried!

I take it that is a 2004 version. I just got NSW & the firewall, but this year they said that I could enclose the proof of purchase seal on an end flap instead of the bar code. Cutting off the bar code was a little funky. If I get mine back I'll join you in protesting.

Glenn

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
Yes call & complain to Symantic.

Rebates for the most part are just sales gimmicks,
Yes it is a way to save.
But so many times people have troubles proving they sent them in.
I have learned this the hard way.
So now I photo copy everything for my records, the most important part is address that envelope, place a stamp on it, THEN PHOTO COPY THAT.
Now if you run into problems you can provide copies, even the stamped envelope. And just say it would not have made much sense for me to not to mail it in since it already had postage.
It works.
I just did this with the Turbo tax 2002 federal, They said they received my $9.99 rebate for the Turbo tax State, but not the Federal rebate, I faxed them copies of both & told them they went into the mailbox the same day.
My $29.99 Turbo Tax federal rebate arrived in the mail just days later.
-Jerry

Neal_C

Second Unit
I think rebates are a good way for a company to offer a lower price. However, the company is also counting on a couple things from the consumer: a)not all rebates will be returned; and b)that people won't have any proof they sent in the correct information so the company can send you this card and say you did it wrong and you have no way to prove you did it right.

My wife and I always copy everything we mail in for rebates and it came in handy a few months ago. I can't remember what the rebate was for, but we got that little postcard or letter in the mail saying they couldn't process it. We called and asked why and they told us we didn't send in the correct information (upc I think). We proceeded to tell the person on the phone that we had copies of everything we sent in and we could fax that information to them. The lady on the phone said "Oh...umm, no, thats ok, you should receive your rebate soon".

Their little scam would have worked if not for our copies.

Call them and complain...and next time be sure to copy everything you send in.

Neal

Lee L

Supporting Actor
Call or email them and tell them that your state's Attorney General asked you to get the rebate materials back from them so that you could give them to the AG's office for your complaint. They should all the sudden realize that all your stuff is in order.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Norton just emailed me saying that they got one of my rebates, and all is ok. I even have a tracking number for it.

Of course, I did send two in at once (in two envelopes), so the other one might come in tomorrow?

Glenn

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks