What's new

Norton 2002 causing Internet slowdown (1 Viewer)

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
My home PC's internet browsing has slowed down to a crawl the last couple of days, and this is with a cable modem. Apparently it's due to some problem in NIS 2002 - some process called SymProxySVC.exe is using about 100% of my CPU. I'm not sure why this started all of a sudden; I don't think we did any updates then.

I searched the web for references to this process and others have reported it, but with no way to fix it aside from uninstalling NIS. There was a reference somewhere to a Symantec web page recommending that you change NIS and its subcomponents to load later on (from the startup menu rather than the registry) but that didn't have any effect.

At this point, I think my best alternative would be to uninstall NIS 2002 and get the 2004 version, and hope that it doesn't have the problem.

Has anyone out there had this problem and is there any way out? Do any NIS 2004 users have it?

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Do you do a lot of configuring to your firewall? If not, then just download the free version of ZoneAlarm. IMO it is a better firewall than NIS and if you don't need all the features, you can download it for free (which would obviously be cheaper than buying NIS 2004).

David Nelson

Auditioning
There is a discussion of this problem going on at dslreports.com. It's a pretty technical chat - a couple of people have really gotten into the issue - but essentially it appears that Symantec "broke" NIS 2002 via LiveUpdate. May have even installed parts of NIS 2004.

There are other firewalls as mentioned, but if you choose to stay with NIS do NOT install 2004 over 2002. Uninstall 2002 first.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
Yes, that's what appears to have happened.

I ended up getting NIS 2004 (it's not that expensive - maybe even free - if/when I get the rebates back). We uninstalled NIS 2002 first and so far haven't had any problems. Thanks for the responses everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks