North Carolina Members...I need your help..

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Maynard, Oct 7, 2001.

1. Chris Maynard

Chris Maynard Supporting Actor

The possibility has arised that I may have a job offer in Raleigh, North Carolina.
    What I need to know are the good areas to live that are also a reasonable commute to the 440 beltway and 401. (Rhamkatte area I believe)
    I am looking for a good neighborhood and good schools.
    Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!
    [Edited last by Chris Maynard on October 07, 2001 at 10:25 PM]

2. Chris Maynard

Wow...looks like a lonely place for HT..

3. Eric Scott

Eric Scott Second Unit

I can only say that I have met a lot of very nice people in N.C. and in general it is a nice place to live. However, it is a requirement that all residents play golf! [​IMG]
    [Edited last by Eric Scott on October 09, 2001 at 01:09 AM]

4. ChadM

ChadM Stunt Coordinator

Sorry Chris, I was away for the weekend and Monday. If I were moving to Raleigh I would live in Cary, NC. That being said, the commute would be terrible. Of course you are from California, so it is all relative. Raleigh is good city to live in, lots a PHDs and professional types work in RTP, so it is expensive (again it is all relative). I have my wife thinking about this, she went to college at UNC so she knows the area better than me. I will check back with some more info later.

5. Scott_G

Scott_G Second Unit

"440 beltway and 401. (Rhamkatte area I believe)"
    I've never heard of "Rhamkatte" and I've been here a long time.
    Cary is nice - commonly called the "Containment Area for Relocated Yankee's [​IMG] Almost everything is new - less than 15 years, all kind of planned out.
    I live in North Raleigh, my wife was born here. Send me an email with any questions you don't want on the boards ... your job location etc.
    Hey Chris !! There's LOTS of HT here, we have many dedicated shops that are high end.
    Lot's of the new high end home have theaters built in, of course these start at 600K or more [​IMG]
    here's a good place to get home prices http://realestate.triangle.com/

6. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

7. ChadM

ChadM Stunt Coordinator

Scott,
    Funny thing, I had to look at a map to find Rhamkatte. It is south of Raleigh, just outside 440.
    Eric,
    It is not a state law that you have to play golf, however there are a lot of courses here.
    Chad

8. Cameron Seaman

Cameron Seaman Supporting Actor

Hey Chris,
    I had never heard of Rhamkatte until today!
    Anyway, I was also going to suggest Cary as well as Morrisville as nice places to live. I'm not sure what your commute would be or how close they are to Rhamkatte.
    Let us know if you have any other questions or need more in-depth suggestions. I, for one, really like it here.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    The HTF Lowest Post Champion!

9. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

North Raleigh or Cary.
    I prefer NR just because Cary is so very restrictive. But if you want a tan house, that's fine.
    I have lived in Raleigh, North Raleigh, Cary, Durham, and Chapel Hill. If you give me an indication of what kind of commute you are willing to make, and what kind of amenities you want, I have many suggestions. I also know a good realtor, and can specifically recommend and warn about apartment complexes.
    ------------------
    Rationality is not a commodity which is evenly distributed.
    Thank you Sci-Fi channel for Season 6 of Stargate SG-1
    View SpaceDog's DVD Collection

10. Eric Scott

Eric Scott Second Unit

11. Chris Maynard

I want to thank everyone for the help! Those of you who suggested I contact you via e-mail just might get taken up on that offer. I should know more this week.
    Thanks again!

12. David Klem

David Klem Agent

Chris,
    I also live in the Raleigh area (on the Apex/Cary line), and my wife and I love it here. Cary can be a bit restrictive one what you can and cannot do (can only water your lawn on certain days, if you want a rocking chair on your front port, it has to be white. Crazy things like that)
    I would recommend North Raleigh, or maybe Cary, or Apex if you don't mind a slightly longer commute.
    Feel free to email me as well if you've got any specific questions. When you get in town, all of us triangle people will have to get together.
    Dave.

13. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard Screenwriter

Joshua Clinard
    I grew up in Greensboaro, lived there from ages 5-18, and I miss NC. I hope to go back after I graduate, well actually I plan on visiting every summer. I also would recomend Cary. Chapel Hill is nice too, if you prefer a college town. And it's nice to know that there are some NC'ers on the HTF!

14. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

Chris-
    You may actually have good luck house finding/bargaining, since the RTP area is going through a big series of layoffs from biggies like IBM/Nortel. My uncle has had his house on the market for 4 months with no intrest....it is a buyers market.
    And IMHO, NC is probably one of the best places to live. Beach & mountains are close by, just like CA (not quite as beautiful, but much more affordable).
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

15. Tony G

Tony G Stunt Coordinator

I remembered this topic when I got a call the other day from a recruiter about a job in Greenville, NC. Can anyone give me any info about this area? I'm not sure whether or not to seriously pursue it or not...if it's a nice area, I may go for a visit.
    Thanks,
    Tony