What's new

Norma Rae 35th Anniversary Edition (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

94575_large.jpg

Details

Length  1 hrs. 58 mins.
Rating PG
Release Date:  Apr 01 2014
Added Jan 15 2014
Production Year 1979
Empire SKU 1686359
UPC Code 024543893776
Studio 20th Century Fox

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Joe,

You 'da man. Did not think it was available yet. Posted preorder link.

Never saw this film. I am probably going to buy it blindly.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I have been waiting so long for Ms. Field's first Oscar-winning performance on Blu-ray. I just pre-ordered using the link!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Mark-P said:
I have been waiting so long for Ms. Field's first Oscar-winning performance on Blu-ray. I just pre-ordered using the link!
Field's performance not only won the Oscar but also just about every other possible Best Actress prize that year from all of the major critics' organizations, the Golden Globes, even at Cannes.

Very few performances manage to sweep everything like she did in 1979.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
A bit of movie theatre trivia on this film. Our company had a twin cinema in Bogalusa, LA and the main employer in town was a big paper mill. The mill owners were in ingotiations to take the mill union when NORMA RAE was released. They went to the Theatres owners and asked that it not be played, for they did not want to "stir" up emotions. Since the Mill owners and the theatre owners were friends, the film never played that small Louisiana town.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Mark, Luke and all who ordered via link -- thank you for the support.

I am greatly looking forward to this film.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Pre-order placed through the link! :)

Two things:

1) Get it for $13.99 while you can! These $19.99 titles always start at $13.99 but, in short order, Amazon jacks the price up!

2) Anecdote...

I worked in the grocery industry for 35 years, in a union job the entire time. I'm strongly pro-union. Back in 2003, during the big grocery strike here in Southern California, a local radio talk show host was going on and on about the grocery strike and making demeaning comments about the workers. Eventually, his listeners convinced him that they were tired of hearing about it and he announced on the radio that he was going to change the subject. He announced that he wanted everyone to call in and talk about their favorite movies. I instantly picked up the phone and dialed the station. I got really lucky and got right in. I told the screener the name of my favorite movie and she made me to the first caller to go on the radio after the break. When the talk show host answered my call and asked me the name of my favorite movie, I said..

NORMA RAE!

He about split a gut laughing!

:)

True story! (Although, Norma Rae wasn't really my favorite movie at the time, I just did it for the laughs.)

Mark

Rob Gilmore

Agent
Glad to hear that Fox is releasing one of its 1979 gems on blu ray.

That same year, Fox also released "Breaking Away" which also gathered a number of nominations on its way to the Oscars in early 1980. So whenever I hear the name of either title, I always think of the other movie.

QUESTION: Does anyone know if Fox is planning to release "Breaking Away" on blu ray, too?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Just finished watching this film for the very first time...anywhere.

Took me 35 years to get around to it, but I am glad I took the initiative
to buy this title blindly.

I work for a unionized job. So, I have a huge amount of appreciation
for what this film is all about.

Really loved this film. Sally Field's performance is top-rate.

So very proud to have this film in my collection.

I am also very proud of the job Fox has done with its catalog releases.

First, the fact that this film got on Blu-ray has to be applauded. It was a
good choice of title.

Second, I'll begin by saying that this is not a pretty-looking film by any means.
It looks like a typical 70's movie. It's somewhat dim, not very colorful, and not
the kind of image that would make for demo material....

...but it's the way I imagine the film should look.

What Fox has done is make it look pristinely clean and faithful to the original source.

If you haven't bought this one yet, it's worth having in your collection.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I saw it many times on HBO and once at the USA Film Festival with director Martin Ritt in attendance. Great film.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Well, I received this yesterday and didn't even remember ordering it! What a great surprise :D

I must have gotten swept up by Mr. Epstein's sales skills and pre-ordered it through the link months ago and promptly forgot all about it. I can't wait to sit down with it when I have time to enjoy it.

Sally Field is just amazing in this, and more amazing for audiences in the late 70's who didn't know the actress she would become. (I must have been the only kid in America who actually LIKED "The Girl With Something Extra")

I haven't seen it in awhile, but I absolutely love the credit sequence set to "It Goes How it Goes." The song is perfect for the movie and the sequence it tells us SO much of what we need to know going in. (plus we get to see Sally Field's baby pictures)

Can't wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks