What's new

Noob question: help (1 Viewer)

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
My head is spinning. I want a BD player and I can't upgrade the receiver or buy other components right now.

Can I just use coaxial for the sound?

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Brett,

Yes you can.
And if you can't afford to upgrade the receiver right now, using the coax is one of the choices. But you won't be able to enjoy the full benefits of the new audio codecs that way.

Another choice, as said, is using the analogs. I'm sorry to have used the confusing term "pre-proc" in connection with that. (Technically they're situated just before the pre-processor in one view, but it could also be argued that they're behind it.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
)
This way you will be able to fully use the new codecs, because the player will decode the streams and send the result to the analogs.

Just buy a BD player having analogs out and you may decide to upgrade your receiver much later. Trust me: it's precisely what I do as well.

Cees

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer

My reciever has the 5.1 inputs. Can I use them without a pre-proc? Will the player decode them?

What kind of connectors do the 5.1 outs/ins utilize? RCA style? I've never used them before.

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
The 5.1 analog inputs will almost certainly use RCA cables. If you have some red/white RCA cables lying about, they should work fine. For 5.1, you'll need to connect 6 RCA outputs on the player to the 6 RCA inputs on the receiver.

I'd recommend taking a look at the new Panasonic BD80, which I'm pretty sure has analog outputs. It's a little more complicated setting up the player to use the analog outputs, but you will get better sound that way (with the player decoding the new codecs).

I know that AVS Forum has a thread on the BD60/BD80 (the BD60 is similar, but doesn't have 5.1/7.1 analog outs) . If you're interested in the BD80, that would be an excellent place to find out all about the player and how to set it up.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
What Brian said. Yes (if you choose the right player) and Yes (if you choose the right player) and Yes.

Cees

Shad R

Supporting Actor
The biggest drawback to owning a blu-ray player is that everything not blu will look like crap.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Maybe consider getting a wireless bridge for your player (or converting a wireless print server unit to do the same job), assuming you already have a wireless router set up. That's what some folks are doing. But if you don't care about BD-Live and such things and only need the internet access for firmware updates, then you can probably just temporarily move the player whenever you need an update.

Many others of us just use the PS3's built-in WiFi support for that. :D

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Well, where's your cable modem located? Does it have an extra network port for a player? I assume you already have your computer connected to it (unless you're using a router in between like I mentioned or simply do not use it for your computer?).

_Man_

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
I appreciate everyone's help. I love the new player. I haven't used Viera cast yet but the picture and audio quality of my SD movies is better than my Oppo. I can't wait to see a BD release. I'm getting The Dark Knight from Netflix.

Other recommendations?

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Congrats on your purchase. Try this relatively recent thread for lots of good recommendations:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...endations.html

The Dark Knight is actually somewhat spotty in terms of PQ due to some overprocessing of the non-IMAX scenes. If you're never bothered by EE (or the harder, edgy look), then you'll probably love the TDK PQ -- certainly, the IMAX scenes do have great PQ (and you may or may not notice any of the EE in the non-IMAX scenes).

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks