What's new

*noob alert* .. Looking for Receiver advice (1 Viewer)

Evan M

Second Unit
In a perfect world, I'd win the lottery and be able to buy the biggest, baddest equipment available... unfortunately that's not the case.

I have about $500 dollars to spend and need to get a new Receiver and a DVD Player w/ Progressive Scan (On my current one, the sound and picture dont' sync up and I have no idea how to fix it.. and it's not Progressive Scan), and preferably a good set of speakers. (Only really "need" surrounds and Center.. have a pair of decent front speakers, that are about 9 years old)

So, on to the nitty gritty.. any good suggestions on what I should look at?

I started looking at receivers and am thinking I narrowed down to :
Pioneer VSX-D812, Onkyo TX-SR501, or Sony STR-DE895

The impression I get is to avoid Sony, but I'm open to suggestions, as I basically know nothing about home audio.. this is my first attempt at buying my own equipment. The previous receiver/speakers were a gift when I was 14. :D

Thanks for any help!

Wayde_R

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry, I'm not familiar with the models that you bring up however. $500 for two components is pretty minimal but not impossible to work with. I have a friend that owned a Sony receiver in the 300$ range and well, I think I liked the Pioneer in its price range better (I never told my friend that of course). Another friend of mine picked up a Pioneer reciever that was a floor model for a mere $200, I think it was Best Buy. He's very happy with it and I think it's a little better than the Sony.

The most important consideration in the reciever is pre-outs. Pre-outs will allow you to add external amplifiers if you ever decide to get better speakers later, you might find the old recievers output doesn't light them up. A nice power amp added to the mix would do the trick.

The other thing I'd consider is buying used. There are deals to be had, especially if you have a local hi-fi shop with a "used" section in back. I haunt those like a restless spirit.

Just my 2cents.

Thomas Nichols

Stunt Coordinator
I was able to buy an H/K AVR125 for 300 and you can easily find a progressive scan DVD in the 200$ range. I love my 125. It gives me all the performance I need. Great sound. Don't be fooled by the power ratings, it is plenty powerful. They take measurements with all channels driven. You should check it out. With new models coming out soon, you should be able to get some good deals.

Dom P.

Stunt Coordinator
I would recommend the Pioneer 812 & the Pioneer 563 Dvd player (which also plays SACDs & DVDs) in that price range.

You can get both of them from www.mwebinc.com for

Dom P.

Stunt Coordinator
Also, I would check out harmanaudio.com for some good deals on refurb'ed H/K receivers if you prefer that over the Pioneer 812. I prefer the Pio because it offers more features, but the H/K should be a little better sound...

Evan M

Second Unit
The only thing that holds me back about the H/K is the lack of Component switching on the models in my price range... I'm trying to stay under 400 for the receiver... preferably more like 300.

My TV only has 2 component inputs, which I use for my XBox and DVD currently. I would much prefer to have the option of an extra HD port if I need it in the future (HD Satelite, maybe)

I'll definitely have to check out some local stores for a used section, thanks for the suggestion :)

So, how does Onkyo fit into the grand scheme of things? Are they a non-contender?

Evan M

Second Unit
Yes, I did. Thanks :)

I am leaning toward the Pioneer at this point, but the Onkyo also does Component switching and is about the same price... just wanted to try and be sure it isn't better, as I don't really know anything about them.

That HarmanAudio.com has the H/K AVR-510 (Factory Remanufactured) for right at 400... which looks VERY tempting, also ... argh.

Dom P.

Stunt Coordinator
the website I posted offers the Pio 812 for ~$210, quite a value in my opinion...

Be careful with the 510, it's a little older model that lacks some features of the newer ones... not sure exactly what though, I'd have to look into further.

Evan M

Second Unit
I was just noticing that... still kinda tempting, though.

I think I'm gonna plan on getting the Pioneer, unless someone chimes in with an opinion on Onkyo.

Thanks for the help :)

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I think the Onkyo would be a bit better than the Sony, but I know nothing about the Pioneer. I would choose the Pioneer over the Sony just based on info from this forum. My brother has the HT650 Onkyo HTIB (same receiver as the 501 but 100wpc instead of 65 on the 501) and he loves it. Just a vote for Onkyo since no one else did. Gene

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
Well if you are worried about video and audio then at $300 finding a great reciever that will do both is just out of the question unless you are lucky and find a floor model or a used one that is in good condition. I would also have to agree with the Harman/Kardon AVR-125. It may not offer EVERYTHING in the price range you are looking for but it can do alot more than other recievers for the same price, especially it's power. Most people look it to be only about 45w and say that is puny. Just remember, it's a high current power supply and ontop of that it is MUCH more accurate of a rating than any other reciever I have seen. So those other recievers that will say 100w... it isn't anywhere near that and i'm pretty sure it isn't a high current amp either. Take a look at the Harman/Kardon AVR-125 used.

Users who are viewing this thread